• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMT Driver Pool - 2021/22

Tezza32

On Moderation
Why would they finally give someone the job after many times of trying? Just felt like they was putting me through for the sake of it then soon as I get to interview it was a no. Even with having the experience for that job role. I kept thinking.. what am I doing wrong here? So I given up for that job role now.
Yeah I agree with you on this 3 times I've been rejected

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Slinky252

Ive got the no too yet last time I passed I've done nothing diffrent I give up.

Sorry, to hear this buddy, this time round. I do find it strange if you put same answers again and passed last and failed this !!! When Did you fail the process last time round, was it less than 6 months ago ?? Could this be the reason you may have failed ??

military85

I applied a third time for that role but didn’t even go to the assessment,as I thought it would be a no again. I will probably get a no for this role also as there are bound to be more rejection emails coming

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Why would they finally give someone the job after many times of trying? Just felt like they was putting me through for the sake of it then soon as I get to interview it was a no. Even with having the experience for that job role. I kept thinking.. what am I doing wrong here? So I given up for that job role now.

I personally wouldn't write things like this. Whilst I understand it's not great, it's also tenacity that companies look for. If they can identify you, whats to stop them now putting you on a blacklist for being critical of their work?

I'm sorry you got a rejection but I personally would just observe these posts and not make further comment.

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
I applied a third time for that role but didn’t even go to the assessment,as I thought it would be a no again. I will probably get a no for this role also as there are bound to be more rejection emails coming

Sorry you applied and were given an assessment day but didn't bother to go?! What a waste of an opportunity for someone else. They'd walk over hot coals for that chance.

The total number of applications was just over 6100. I know that it was mentioned above, but if they say put 200 people through to the next stage, that means that the company are sending out over 5900 emails. In an ideal world I’m sure that they would like to provide individual feedback, but this is simply to great a task to complete. Imagine yourself sitting down and just simply sending that many emails and that’s not including the time that it takes to check through each application.

Unfortunately it is simply a case that due to interest in the job the company can be as selective as they wish when it comes to whom they recruit. They can literally set the criteria to whatever they want. Whilst you make have the experience and skills to do the job and feel let down by the rejection, it has to be appreciated that thousands of other people have similar skills and experience and feel the same way.

I know that it’s frustrating but just be persistent. Look back through your application and answers in the SJT and improve what you have put, even a small detail could make the difference.

All the best.

Sorry if this is considered off topic, but hopefully relevant to this point. If they got 6000+ applications and want to whittle it down to 200, that's less than 4% so their filtering is going to be pretty brutal. A non-rail example that sticks in my mind is when I was involved in recruiting a new PA for my boss about 15 years ago when I was an office admin assistant. The job advert stated something like "Send a typed CV with a covering letter to...". This was a small company advertising in the local papers, but they had a big response, must have been 300 CVs. They needed a way to get through the first sift so ditched the roughly half that were handwritten without even looking at them because they'd not followed the clear instruction in the advert.

Last edited:

Most of the psychometric tests are conducted by The OPC although some TOCs do it themselves.

The first day was paper based tests that included.

Group Bourdon Test

Test of Everyday Attention (TEA-Occ)

This test is split into 3 parts listening to tones, symbols in a telephone directory and then combining the two parts.

Trainability for Rules and Procedures Test (TRP)
again this is split into 2 parts, 1 part listening/reading an extract about GLOP, you can make notes and you are then given roughly 20 questions to answer about what you heard without your notes.
The second part was the dials test.

Some TOCs/FOCs also ask for the DFFT which is the Driver Fault Finding Test.

If you pass stage 1 you will be invited to stage 2 which is the computerised tests and the MMI interview. Again this can vary by operator as some do the DMI before the MMI.

The computerised tests consist of.

ATAVT Perception Test. You will view a picture of a street scene for approximately 0.5-1 second. You will then have to choose from the list what was in the picture from: pedestrians; motor vehicles (excluding motorcycles); bikes, motorcycles or scooters; road signs; traffic lights.

WAFV (Vigilance) Test. You will see a grey square flashing on the screen. When it changes colour to a different shade of grey, you press the large green button as quickly as possible. This continues for 30 minutes, sometimes for long periods between changing.

2Hand Co-Ordination Test. You will have two joysticks, one will only go up and down, and the other will only go left and right. You have to control a ball around a track trying not to let it go off of the grey track, which includes curved sections.
Many thanks for this PickleTree. I've been looking for a list/explanation of the tests that are done, and their names/acronyms, and this is a very handy summary.

HLE

Established Member
I'm ex plod and I had a reject email.

More at DMI stage, the initial SJT doesn't take into account your work experience.

@4sub - not over this way. Recent externals have mostly been ex-police, and the next lot through are too.

Last edited:

SlimJim1694

I'm ex plod and I had a reject email.
More at DMI stage, the initial SJT doesn't take into account your work experience.

@4sub - not over this way. Recent externals have mostly been ex-police, and the next lot through are too.
I think this situation points more towards the state of morale in the police than it does about any apparent railway drive to take on ex-police. I've had loads of coppers ask me how to get a train drivers job over the years, but I've yet to hear of a train driver asking a copper how to join the force.

Supertrains19

If you think 6100 applicants even with an automated system will take some time, suspect they will do batches and may be depot specific as well, good luck to all those on the forum in the mix.

Withoutabix

Did it say what was happening next?

Think next stage is the sift against requirements of the role and answers in your application which when I applied was timed to take 12weeks

Just went onto then say we’ll be in touch regarding the next stage of the process. No time frames will be given for that part tho

S-Car-Go

Ive got the no too yet last time I passed I've done nothing diffrent I give up.
The application process for this role (at any TOC) is partly luck of the online system & algorithms. After failing final interview with London Overground, I applied to Southern. They didn't even give me a chance at their online SJT, despite having passed all the OPC tests. Ex-colleague drivers at my previous TOC said there was some luck involved.

L33mcc

Has anyone heard anything regaring then SJT tests ? I think i done okay but am yet to hear anything ?