• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMT Driver Pool - 2021/22

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Interesting.....

I am not sure there is an answer. But....does anybody have a rough idea as to how many drop out simply because they didn't realise how long the process would be? For example.....I'm desperate to leave my current place of work, so applied assuming the timeframe would be the normal 4-6 weeks. Then I look on here, and see it takes around a year to be offered a position in normal times, let alone the bat***** crazy times we are in now.

And....I'd assume there was a significant percentage of applicants who would drop out due to not being bothered to wait.

Any ideas?

*I am aware Covid 19 was not caused by a human consuming bat faeces....

I can never remember exactly what the numbers are, but experience tells me you often do the tests and wait up to 3 years and suddenly the job offer comes as a bolt out of the purple.

In that time, some do, thanks to the ‘pass’ being seen nationally, end up walking into other jobs with other firms. It’s an odd process - it’s definitely not 4 weeks or 3 months usually.

Avanti seem to have pulled their fingers out for Wolverhampton, however. Depends what the level of desperation is and how the training can be done. If lots of instructors are waiting and the need is great, companies can move mountains.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sahibsarkar

Hi everyone who have completed online assessment for 2021 talent pool. I received an email today saying that they have received more than 6000 applications and at the moment they are going through each application individually which will take some time. They will update by the end of September. Hopefully we will get a positive outcome.

Ashley872

Hi everyone who have completed online assessment for 2021 talent pool. I received an email today saying that they have received more than 6000 applications and at the moment they are going through each application individually which will take some time. They will update by the end of September. Hopefully we will get a positive outcome.
Yeah, seems they have sent an email to everybody that has passed the SJT. Could be wrong though.
Good luck to everyone 8-)

jezzer34

i have had a text saying they sent an email but no email..... but going on what everyone is saying its just an update to say its going to take some time ?

Ladder23

Established Member
i have had a text saying they sent an email but no email..... but going on what everyone is saying its just an update to say its going to take some time ?
More or less buddy. Check your junk ?

YingYing

With regards to dropping out of the process due to the time taken, why would you? Simply waiting for an email to arrive, and taking the odd day off to go and take an assessment can be done alongside your day to day life.

PaulBusDriver

My personal experience of applying before to WMT is that even after you've received an email and you assume you are past the initial SJT sift, that they might not give you any more of an idea where you are with your application.
I applied in Feb 2019 and didn't hear anything back so emailed WMT HR who told me my application was sitting in a talent pool. You may well be thinking this is unreal, as I did, but that is what I got told.
"Good afternoon,

We appreciate it may have been some time since you have heard from us in relation to your application for the role of Trainee Train Driver and we would like to thank you for your patience.

The role of a trainee driver is highly sought after and because of this we receive high numbers of applications which are placed into talent pools following shortlisting. Our vacancies for 2019 are complete and your application will remain in the talent pool until we commence preparation for our future requirements. "

So Im not sure quite what this means, it could mean I didn't get as high up the league in terms of point scoring on my application and its just left in limbo or it could mean they genuinely just keep a backlog of suitable but not high scoring applicants.

MoZ

Hello, I’m under the assumption that if you have been placed in a talent pool it means that you should be contacted if future positions are available, might be worth sending a friendly email to HR just to double check this. I’ve received the sift email too so just waiting patiently now like the rest of us.

Indiemoz

With regards to dropping out of the process due to the time taken, why would you? Simply waiting for an email to arrive, and taking the odd day off to go and take an assessment can be done alongside your day to day life.

I wouldn't. I was just trying to ascertain how many would is all. Because....well, over 6000 of us want a job. The odds seem very slim. If, in normal times, say around 30% of peeps give up during the whole process.....well, that's around 1800 people out. And the odds get better. :)

FastTrax

sorry to post it in two different places but same discussion at teh Abellio online assessment forum.

so my question is since there was only one advert for the Trainee Train Driver role... does it mean they are only looking for one driver? wow if its the case then all that stuff about Destiny is true lol as the one who is destined to a driver will get the role and others who might do better at all the stages might not get it lol. :) ah well if that destined driver is reading this post pls do come let us know once you land the job hihi

baz962

Established Member
sorry to post it in two different places but same discussion at teh Abellio online assessment forum.

so my question is since there was only one advert for the Trainee Train Driver role... does it mean they are only looking for one driver? wow if its the case then all that stuff about Destiny is true lol as the one who is destined to a driver will get the role and others who might do better at all the stages might not get it lol. :) ah well if that destined driver is reading this post pls do come let us know once you land the job hihi
A train operating company will almost certainly , never be recruiting a single trainee .

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
good to know. i am hoping they are hiring like 10 trainees so it increases our chance by that much hihi

To be fair by the time recruitment comes, they often end up then having more vacancies again in other places. I can’t remember where this job advert was for (New Street, Bletchley and...?), but if vacancies also start springing up at Northampton, Coventry, Crewe (etc) you might start getting lucky.

FastTrax

To be fair by the time recruitment comes, they often end up then having more vacancies again in other places. I can’t remember where this job advert was for (New Street, Bletchley and...?), but if vacancies also start springing up at Northampton, Coventry, Crewe (etc) you might start getting lucky.
oh if one comes up for Northampton and i get the job i will be over the moon. i shall keep an eye out

sahibsarkar

[/QUO

birmz_

They have around 7 people per class n they normal group each location applied for together. So snow hill new street n Bletchley would mean 21 drivers. Im sure there was more locations so don’t worry there are plenty of vacancies

dwizzle123

Interesting.....

I am not sure there is an answer. But....does anybody have a rough idea as to how many drop out simply because they didn't realise how long the process would be? For example.....I'm desperate to leave my current place of work, so applied assuming the timeframe would be the normal 4-6 weeks. Then I look on here, and see it takes around a year to be offered a position in normal times, let alone the bat***** crazy times we are in now.

And....I'd assume there was a significant percentage of applicants who would drop out due to not being bothered to wait.

Any ideas?

*I am aware Covid 19 was not caused by a human consuming bat faeces....

Don't put your life on hold awaiting a train driver job. Most people I know have taken anything between 2 to 5 years to be offered a job with various factors affecting how long it had taken. Even then it's worth considering that from the initial pool of applicants, only 0.3-0.5% of people are offered a position. Find a job you enjoy doing and if you're lucky enough to be offered a driver job in 3 years time then its a bonus.

YingYing

Interestingly, I've not received an email yet. I don't think that makes me safe by any means as I've only sat stage 1 assessments. It does make you wonder how they sift the applications and in what order though.

Bristol VRIII

Interestingly, I've not received an email yet. I don't think that makes me safe by any means as I've only sat stage 1 assessments. It does make you wonder how they sift the applications and in what order though.

Yeah it does indeed, I applied internally as I already work under Abellio for another TOC

Lenny_U

Sorry to hear that Lenny, I was shocked as I live an hour away from the depot and I have passed all the OPC assessments to enhanced standard
Sorry to hear that Lenny, I was shocked as I live an hour away from the depot and I have passed all the OPC assessments to enhanced standard
I'm in the same boat, already passed all OPC tests to enhanced standard but I live outside 1hr window to nearest depot so probably got rejected on that but that's just my speculation

FastTrax

Maybe they are working it in alphabetic order hence some have n some haven't got the email? I am right in the middle of the alphabet but you are first yet you got it few days after other guys who got rejection... checking email with raised heartbeat lol. It will be what it will be i guess but still...