• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMT Driver Pool - 2021/22

@liam

I had my DMI yesterday, and passed, so happy and excited! Can anyone advise on what the next stages are? I'm waiting for a date for the medical. I'm guessing the medical will be quite intense, ECG, blood tests etc. I read earlier in the thread about onboarding and referencing, not sure what onboarding means. Also, with the referencing, is this just the standard contacting previous employer, or will I need to provide personal referees as well? Thanks for any advice you can give!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dzdoris

I had my DMI yesterday, and passed, so happy and excited! Can anyone advise on what the next stages are? I'm waiting for a date for the medical. I'm guessing the medical will be quite intense, ECG, blood tests etc. I read earlier in the thread about onboarding and referencing, not sure what onboarding means. Also, with the referencing, is this just the standard contacting previous employer, or will I need to provide personal referees as well? Thanks for any advice you can give!
Well done! Yes your medical. The onboarding comes after that. Lots of forms to fill in and policies to read. Your references need to be professional which need to cover 2 years employment including your current employer :)

@liam

Thanks @dzdoris ! My email from Olivia mentions a potential start date of 09/08, so I hope I get to see some of you on the course!

@liam

Congrats Liam, sounds like you have the same start date as me and a couple of others I know to, Snow Hill by any chance?
I applied for Birmingham New St originally, but I've been offered Worcester. I'm guessing the training will all be central Birmingham though, so hopefully see you on the 9th!

se99db

I applied for Birmingham New St originally, but I've been offered Worcester. I'm guessing the training will all be central Birmingham though, so hopefully see you on the 9th!
Congratulations, I am starting at Worcester on 7th June so only just ahead of you.

Dan61

Im just waiting now for my start on 5th July. My DBS came back today and Olivia stated thats all they are waiting for regarding the onboarding. So unsure what else is left apart from uniform ordering and waiting

Stigy

Established Member
Congrats! Can’t answer specifically for WMT, but medicals are roughly the same across the board; You’ll have a sight and hearing test, drug and alcohol test (urine sample....they do a dip test in urine too I believe), ECG, Blood Pressure (note; not a blood test) and a general talk to the quack about your health and well being. They will do your BMI too but that’s nothing to worry about, even if it’s a bit on the high side, as long as you can move etc. They will also talk about any medication you’re on and you may be advised to bring anything you’re on with you. Be open and honest and have anything you’re taking logged with them and it’ll be fine (even mess for anxiety/depression etc.....it’s no longer a taboo subject). Good luck!

Tasbury1

Congrats mate! I have mine a week today and I'm already a bag of nerves. Any tips ahead of the interview you could give? What sort of things did they ask if you don't mind me asking.

@liam

Congrats! Can’t answer specifically for WMT, but medicals are roughly the same across the board; You’ll have a sight and hearing test, drug and alcohol test (urine sample....they do a dip test in urine too I believe), ECG, Blood Pressure (note; not a blood test) and a general talk to the quack about your health and well being. They will do your BMI too but that’s nothing to worry about, even if it’s a bit on the high side, as long as you can move etc. They will also talk about any medication you’re on and you may be advised to bring anything you’re on with you. Be open and honest and have anything you’re taking logged with them and it’ll be fine (even mess for anxiety/depression etc.....it’s no longer a taboo subject). Good luck!
Thanks for that! I had a medical last year through my employer and passed (I work in Aviation), so hopefully this one won't be a problem either!
Congrats mate! I have mine a week today and I'm already a bag of nerves. Any tips ahead of the interview you could give? What sort of things did they ask if you don't mind me asking.
As someone who's never worked in the industry before, I had no idea what to expect. My DMI was just short of an hour, I had a Regional Train Driver Manager, along with a Driver Manager. Both of them were lovely, and made me feel at ease straight away. Nothing was designed to catch you out, no interrogation. Its a bit of a blur for me looking back, but the questions were similar to the MMI. I spent time researching the company, and found this really useful. Good luck!

Dan61

Olivia emailed today stating onboarding completed and I can now hand in my resignation for the 5th July. Is there anything else to do is when do we order uniform and will the training be classroom or zoom/teams based.

dzdoris

Olivia emailed today stating onboarding completed and I can now hand in my resignation for the 5th July. Is there anything else to do is when do we order uniform and will the training be classroom or zoom/teams based.
The best feeling isn't it! I start 7th June and I don't even know where to turn up yet :D

GJ_DAN

Nope, nor me, still waiting for an email about where to go. I'm sure we'll get one next week hopefully!

thedonething

Hello Everyone, I've been watching this thread for a while but haven't posted as of yet. I have been through the long process and now have a date for my DMI which I'm excited for. I'm aware there is plenty of info on this forum in regards to DMI's however I was wondering if any of the people who have passed with WMT have any WMT specific feedback. I have read through a lot of the competency examples that people have listed and it seems very similar to the MMI I went through at the OPC. The interview is being conducted over Teams so not face to face. What kind of vibe was it? Anything specific about WMT they asked about? If your interview was also on teams, what did you wear? Any info from someone that has recently been through it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Hi Prottey, I am new here to and I have my Interview Monday 1St June. Did you get the information needed about what information they expect? I can find loads but don't want to waste their time rambling on about unnecessary information.

Withoutabix

The best feeling isn't it! I start 7th June and I don't even know where to turn up yet :D
Unless things have now changed since I did it all in Jan you’ll be at home for the 1st week just doing teams based stuff, week 2 you’ll have to go to Tysley to do the PTS practical then week three you’ll start at the academy.

dzdoris

Unless things have now changed since I did it all in Jan you’ll be at home for the 1st week just doing teams based stuff, week 2 you’ll have to go to Tysley to do the PTS practical then week three you’ll start at the academy.
Ah I see, thank you :) Yeah covid has put a right spanner in the works hasn't it!

How are you feeling 4 months into training? Overwhelmed with information I expect!

Wba0986

Ah I see, thank you :) Yeah covid has put a right spanner in the works hasn't it!

How are you feeling 4 months into training? Overwhelmed with information I expect!
Training is just behind snow hill station as long as your not down for Bletchley or cov.

Withoutabix

Ye it’s a lot to take in but as long as your group help each other you’ll be fine, we’ve just finished traction which as most will attest to is the hardest most stressful part of the whole course so glad that’s behind us now! Start Rules two next week then beyond that we’re likely to be stood down.

JLX5

Ye it’s a lot to take in but as long as your group help each other you’ll be fine, we’ve just finished traction which as most will attest to is the hardest most stressful part of the whole course so glad that’s behind us now! Start Rules two next week then beyond that we’re likely to be stood down.
Stood down whilst awaiting a DI, I assume?

dzdoris

Shame about being stood down but I guess it can't be helped with covid. Gives people chance to digest it all/revise I suppose. Looking forward to starting though. Still can't quite believe I've got to this point given how sought after these roles are. Maybe June 21st will change things slightly (fingers crossed!).

se99db

I can't believe I start 2 weeks tommorow, it's been such a long process to get to this stage! Any tips for the first few weeks? What's the process for uniform at the moment (as in how long before you move from smart business attire into uniform?)

Dan61

I know WMT pay is 4 Weekly and not monthly. So if I start 5July when will I get paid is it the same date each month

Tasbury1

Thanks for that! I had a medical last year through my employer and passed (I work in Aviation), so hopefully this one won't be a problem either!

As someone who's never worked in the industry before, I had no idea what to expect. My DMI was just short of an hour, I had a Regional Train Driver Manager, along with a Driver Manager. Both of them were lovely, and made me feel at ease straight away. Nothing was designed to catch you out, no interrogation. Its a bit of a blur for me looking back, but the questions were similar to the MMI. I spent time researching the company, and found this really useful. Good luck!
Thanks pal appreciate the advice, all the luck in the future!

Prottey

Hi Prottey, I am new here to and I have my Interview Monday 1St June. Did you get the information needed about what information they expect? I can find loads but don't want to waste their time rambling on about unnecessary information.
Hello, I just had a look on this forum in the end, I think Liam posted a few bits which may help. I think I was at the OPC with him so we’ve had a similar journey. @Liam glad to see you made it. Got mine Thursday so I’m hoping I’m as lucky.