• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMT Initial Knowledge Training Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonD

Hi all,

can anyone give me some advice please?

When starting the initial trainee driver training and completing the first 6/9 months of knowledge etc.

I assume you have tests/exams at the end of each module, if you fail any modules, can/will you get chucked off the course and lose the job?

Are there any rules regarding this does anyone know?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Jason

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class2ldn

You'll probably get a resit but yes you need to pass them and if not then they may terminate your employment however that is a last resort

JasonD

Thanks for the reply, I guess I was just wondering how much that happens, for instance, on the average training course, how many from the original group get through, and how many don’t make it?

Established Member
Thanks for the reply, I guess I was just wondering how much that happens, for instance, on the average training course, how many from the original group get through, and how many don’t make it?

It varies.

In my group of eight “off the street” trainees five of us ended up with keys (and six years on, all five are still driving, albeit moved on to DIing/different TOCs etc).

Of the three that left, one was for “personal reasons” (stopped turning up and we never saw him again), one had a terrible attitude and failed the classroom stage, one sadly failed his final assessment twice. You’ll generally get two attempts at the final assessment, but that’s not guaranteed.

Most people get through, it’s not rocket science, but you do need to put the work in and demonstrate the appropriate attitude.

Established Member
(Sorry should also have said that’s not at WMT - but seems pretty consistent across the board from speaking to others).

craigybagel

Established Member
Bear in mind how many hoops you have to jump through to get the job in the first place. They won't give it to you unless they think you can do it - and if they can see in hatching that you're struggling they'll do everything they can to help.

Obviously there are still some who fail but it's a pretty rare occurrence and I wouldn't let the risk of it happening put you off.

Birmingham36

It varies.

In my group of eight “off the street” trainees five of us ended up with keys (and six years on, all five are still driving, albeit moved on to DIing/different TOCs etc).

Of the three that left, one was for “personal reasons” (stopped turning up and we never saw him again), one had a terrible attitude and failed the classroom stage, one sadly failed his final assessment twice. You’ll generally get two attempts at the final assessment, but that’s not guaranteed.

Most people get through, it’s not rocket science, but you do need to put the work in and demonstrate the appropriate attitude.
What do you mean by the term off the street?

S-Car-Go

In my group of 8 at WMT, we all got through the 4 months of classroom. 2 have passed out qualified, and the rest of us are doing our pass-out over the next month or so. They do help you out and the ones that came from internal (guards) are a mine of info for an external like myself. Feel free to DM me if you have any questions.

Birmingham36

In my group of 8 at WMT, we all got through the 4 months of classroom. 2 have passed out qualified, and the rest of us are doing our pass-out over the next month or so. They do help you out and the ones that came from internal (guards) are a mine of info for an external like myself. Feel free to DM me if you have any questions.
What depot you based at with WMT?

Pilotman

Hi Jason

It can vary between train companies, for example, GTR has potential exit weeks. On their old course format it used to be week 5 and week 14 of rules, 14 being the final rules. PTS you had 2 attempts and Southeastern unless it has changed you used to have 1 attempt at PTS. However, don't let this scare you as the instructors are there to help and support you and not looking to fail you. Having said that you have to put in the hard work too.

If it helps, our class used a site with free learning resources. Might be worth a look https://uktrainingsolutions.com

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.