• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMT recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steph2464

Hiya guys, just read through all these threads and found them v. helpful!
I am due to do my DMI tomorrow for SB Rail (OTM Operator/driver role) any advice for interview questions would be really appreciated!! I'm so so nervous! I've been told that if i pass the DMI and medical that training starts in March 2021, I wonder if this is still the case for SB Rail... Any ways thanks :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Withoutabix

Amazingly despite the previous email, Ive just had an email giving me a potential course start date In early Jan

Which has taken me back abit! Rather chuffed to say the least so hopefully people will be hearing very soon!

trundlewagon

Amazingly despite the previous email, Ive just had an email giving me a potential course start date In early Jan

Which has taken me back abit! Rather chuffed to say the least so hopefully people will be hearing very soon!
Is that for New Street still (or were you for a different depot - I can't remember who had applied where now)?

I've had an email about sorting a medical date out for a Snow Hill course, although start date still tbc, which is encouraging following on from the last email :)

Withoutabix

Is that for New Street still (or were you for a different depot - I can't remember who had applied where now)?

I've had an email about sorting a medical date out for a Snow Hill course, although start date still tbc, which is encouraging following on from the last email :)

New street it appears

PaulBusDriver

I'm lucky to be through to DMI, just awaiting interview dates. Unfortunately I was booked in for assessments but after checking they realised my passes from last year were still valid so I booked a hotel for nothing!
Still happy to not have to go through an MMI twice.

Withoutabix

Had my offer letter and start date for Snow Hill in February today :)

good feeling isn’t it!

only got 7 days left at my current place and boy am I counting the minutes!

nice holiday break over Xmas then start on 11th of jan for new street

Anybody else on here starting on the 11th? Haven’t seen anybody mention that date?

Jon1930

good feeling isn’t it!

Anybody else on here starting on the 11th? Haven’t seen anybody mention that date?
I dont know why they dont make the January course little later, you'll go through the first 4 months of hard work then looking forward to the driving part you'll will be waiting 12-18 months for a instructor. The amount of trainees for new st still at home since march is mad, and instructors dont want a trainee in the cab, I'm surprised WMT haven't dangled the golden carrot yet at instructors. It's a mess

Wba0986

good feeling isn’t it!

One of my colleagues is starting on 11th jan so look after nige, he's a goodun.

JLX5

I dont know why they dont make the January course little later, you'll go through the first 4 months of hard work then looking forward to the driving part you'll will be waiting 12-18 months for a instructor. The amount of trainees for new st still at home since march is mad, and instructors dont want a trainee in the cab, I'm surprised WMT haven't dangled the golden carrot yet at instructors. It's a mess
Out of interest, what exactly happens to you for the 12-18 months waiting for an instructor? Full paid leave?

Jon1930

Out of interest, what exactly happens to you for the 12-18 months waiting for an instructor? Full paid leave?
Before covid, it was just come in and front end, some trainees loved it as they did 1 trip and went home, others hated it as they just wanted to get driving and pass out. Full pay yes.

Withoutabix

Sounds like a difficult situation but I’m literally itching to get out of my current job so I’m if that’s the way there working atm then so be it, hopefully things will be different in 4 months for a lot of people but until then I’m just glad to be on board tbh!

Coach Carter

By the time you guys finish Induction, PTS, Intro to Ops, Rules, Traction, Slow depot moves, Principals of route learning and any traction conversion you might need to do, I reckon things will be more back to normal so you’ll have a long stretch of front ending while the back log of people waiting to do there handling is cleared. But if you should be stood down while waiting for an instructor it will be fully payed. I’ve been home for 9 months now, still no return date yet.
Been treated really well by WMT since I started with them over a year ago but is very frustrating being stuck at home

Withoutabix

That's me, I start on 11th Jan, can't wait, looking forward to a complete new challenge.

well atleast there’s us two from this place my names Neil buddy so seems likely we’ll be seeing abit of each during the next few months! If your a villa fan we’ll get along great ;)

andyccfc

By the time you guys finish Induction, PTS, Intro to Ops, Rules, Traction, Slow depot moves, Principals of route learning and any traction conversion you might need to do, I reckon things will be more back to normal so you’ll have a long stretch of front ending while the back log of people waiting to do there handling is cleared. But if you should be stood down while waiting for an instructor it will be fully payed. I’ve been home for 9 months now, still no return date yet.
Been treated really well by WMT since I started with them over a year ago but is very frustrating being stuck at home

So have you had your 9 month pay rise and will you get the next one afterwards or are they dependant on getting through certain stages?

Coach Carter

So have you had your 9 month pay rise and will you get the next one afterwards or are they dependant on getting through certain stages?
Yer had the first rise back in May and will have the final one same time next year.
The rises are done at set times, the first one is after 36 weeks (unless by some unheard of miracle you qualify before 36 weeks then you will get it early or if you take more than 2 weeks off due to your own reasons you’ll get it late), then full pay is 1 year after that.
Feel free to message me if you want to talk about anything

Nige Appleby

well atleast there’s us two from this place my names Neil buddy so seems likely we’ll be seeing abit of each during the next few months! If your a villa fan we’ll get along great ;)
Yes mate it'll be good to meet you next year, enjoy Christmas and be nice and fresh for the hard work ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.