• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMT recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
You get a pack that tells you where to go for day one. Your starting salary, your salary when you first qualify, your salary when your more advanced. It contains details of pension schemes. But it’s not a full contract.

When you receive this pack, it has two referees to put down. I think they get asked to do a few tick boxes, are they reliable, good to work with etc, then a brief statement. My referee said it took him 5 minutes and the hardest part was scanning the document back into the computer.

I’ve closed my electrical company this week, I finished on Friday but it was 100% until the Tuesday of that week. So I have almost 4 weeks from confirmation to actually starting

What information does it give on the pension schemes? Bit worrying if it's different for new starters. Does the information you get include things like rest day patterns, holiday entitlement, Sunday commitments, working hours, probationary period, sickness policy, etc? If so, what are those?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goingloco

You get a pack that tells you where to go for day one. Your starting salary, your salary when you first qualify, your salary when your more advanced. It contains details of pension schemes. But it’s not a full contract.

When you receive this pack, it has two referees to put down. I think they get asked to do a few tick boxes, are they reliable, good to work with etc, then a brief statement. My referee said it took him 5 minutes and the hardest part was scanning the document back into the computer.

I’ve closed my electrical company this week, I finished on Friday but it was 100% until the Tuesday of that week. So I have almost 4 weeks from confirmation to actually starting

Thanks and congratulations mate, a big life change for you. Good luck with the training.

Goingloco

All I know is that we started over a year ago and haven’t got a contract and trainees before us going back years and years haven’t either. I dont get it either but apparently the offer letter gives you the same rights as existing drivers in the end you just think whatever least I’ve got the job and everyone’s in the same boat

Does seem quite odd and not what I'm used to. Have to drill into it as it comes, cheers.

Blueben

Thanks and congratulations mate, a big life change for you. Good luck with the training.

Thanks buddy
A huge change yes, but an exciting opportunity. Enjoyed the rollercoaster of the assessments glad it’s all over now

Luke Allen

Got the call today Guys, all fine on the medical. Starter pack getting sent out today and uniform fitting etc on Friday afternoon. 16th September, can’t wait!

RSrimbo

Congrats. Which depot? Am I correct in thinking that the course dates are specific for each depot?

Coach Carter

Got the call today Guys, all fine on the medical. Starter pack getting sent out today and uniform fitting etc on Friday afternoon. 16th September, can’t wait!

Congratulations bud, I also had the good news today. In for the 16th as well. Wow that was short notice for the uniform fitting.... told me to read my starter pack and stuff first then get back in touch with them to book uniform etc.

Luke Allen

Congratulations bud, I also had the good news today. In for the 16th as well. Wow that was short notice for the uniform fitting.... told me to read my starter pack and stuff first then get back in touch with them to book uniform etc.
Yeah it is soon, it’s just difficult / unpredictable for me to get time off work in the week and I had this Friday free so I thought what the hell just go for it. Congratulations buddy, I guess we will be spending a fair bit of time together as of September then. Where will you be commuting from?

Coach Carter

Yeah it is soon, it’s just difficult / unpredictable for me to get time off work in the week and I had this Friday free so I thought what the hell just go for it. Congratulations buddy, I guess we will be spending a fair bit of time together as of September then. Where will you be commuting from?
Yer fair enough, if you got a free day you may as well get it in and done.
Yer be seeing a lot of each other soon, look forward to meeting you.
I live in Bewdley so about 15 miles from Worcester, what about you?

Luke Allen

Yer fair enough, if you got a free day you may as well get it in and done.
Yer be seeing a lot of each other soon, look forward to meeting you.
I live in Bewdley so about 15 miles from Worcester, what about you?
Ahh what a lovely area. I’m in Worcester, well just on the outskirts about 5 mins from the centre. We should meet for a coffee nearer the time.

Slimjim101

Sorry guys I know you're all some way ahead in this thread. Got my stage 2 and mmi on Friday with WMT. Found lots of possible questions on other threads, so practising those and getting lots of examples in mind. Just wanted to ask if there's any tips for stage 2 as you've all been through it?

Blueben

Sorry guys I know you're all some way ahead in this thread. Got my stage 2 and mmi on Friday with WMT. Found lots of possible questions on other threads, so practising those and getting lots of examples in mind. Just wanted to ask if there's any tips for stage 2 as you've all been through it?

Yeah,
Stay calm, take your time.

Mmi
Expand on everything you say, give them as much clear information as you can. Don’t waffle else they’ll have you in there for ages. Take water in as well. I was in and out in 45minutes. Could hardy talk afterwards. Other guys were in 90 mins

Slimjim101

Thanks Blueben, will work on that then. I can imagine it's easy to start to waffle and then risk going off topic.

Coach Carter

Mainly just to be as calm as you can be, wouldn’t recommend coffee or things like that before the test centre. The tests are quite simple so keep relaxed.
With the mmi make sure to use real experiences and not make something up as they will pick apart what your saying to make sure it all adds up. Give plenty of clear info in your answers and use STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) to lay out your answer.
Best of luck bud, I’m sure will go well.

Grafter1900

Good to see many people have completed medicals and had start dates, i passed the DMI interview last week, so just waiting for a medical now.

birmz_

they're looking for how you handle pressure and how you act in emergency situations so keep that in mind, explain how you keep your cool and how you plan ahead and implement things to avoid possible problems and reduce risk. when you pass that remember everything because the dmi is very similar

birmz_

You can pretty much choose whatever day suits you best.

akasutts

Good to see many people have completed medicals and had start dates, i passed the DMI interview last week, so just waiting for a medical now.

Hi all.

First post on this forum, however I have been lurking around on it for a while now.

Grafter1900 - I'm in the same position as yourself. I had the DMI on the 13th June, so waiting for a medical date.

Also wanted to thank all of you for the posts on this site as it has helped me to reach this point. Congratulations to those that have a start date and good luck to those going through the process.

Happy to help those going through the process if I can.

Grafter1900

Well done, hopefully HR will arrange medicals for us soon and if successful a start date.

Hi all.

First post on this forum, however I have been lurking around on it for a while now.

Grafter1900 - I'm in the same position as yourself. I had the DMI on the 13th June, so waiting for a medical date.

Also wanted to thank all of you for the posts on this site as it has helped me to reach this point. Congratulations to those that have a start date and good luck to those going through the process.

Happy to help those going through the process if I can.

akasutts

Well done, hopefully HR will arrange medicals for us soon and if successful a start date.

Same to you.

Fingers crossed. I was informed by HR that if all went well with the medical and pre employment checks I would be looking at a course towards the end of the year, so I'm guessing you would be in a similar position.

Coach Carter

How’d your uniform and right to work stuff go mate? Does it take them long to get done? Booked mine in for Friday so trying to get an idea of how long I’ll be in there.

S-Car-Go

How’d your uniform and right to work stuff go mate? Does it take them long to get done? Booked mine in for Friday so trying to get an idea of how long I’ll be in there.
I had uniform fitting which takes about 40-60 mins in the Victoria Sq building, then handing the pack of references and RTW stuff in at the main HQ. That's about 20 mins or so.

Luke Allen

I had uniform fitting which takes about 40-60 mins in the Victoria Sq building, then handing the pack of references and RTW stuff in at the main HQ. That's about 20 mins or so.
Yeah I spent about 30mins with the uniform and then about 15mins with HR in HQ. How long did you have to wait for the Verifile stuff to come back? They just do a DBS isn’t it?

Blueben

They forgot I was at hq, ended up sat there for over an hour. Then it was 15 mins.

Uniform was 40 mins.

My dbs check was filled in on a Thursday, had it back by the Tuesday.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.