• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMT recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm assuming still no updates from recruitment re DMI's? I've not been in touch myself yet.

No updates over here either, I’ve been checking my email daily just in case, once lockdown is over I can imagine we’ll be push through pretty rapid, as they’ll be very behind on their recruitment schedule.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andyccfc

I now have my DMI booked via video interview in a couple of weeks. Had it come through yesterday.

akasutts

Hiya, has anybody heard of any movement on the training starting back up again? Thanks

Hi Gee95,

We received an update this morning informing us that classroom based training is likely to be resuming very shortly. The last few parts of the plan are being finalised, such as the staggering of start times etc. The actual classroom setup has been approved by health and safety executives.

Plans around the resumption of cab based training are still being looked at so for those that are at the handling stage they will likely have to wait a little longer. I believe that cab training is being trialed at industry level and once this has been completed it will help set out a plan for how this part of training will resume.

So I guess in short, training will hopefully begin to start up again shortly however it may take a while before things can return to normal.

Hope this helps.

All the best.

Last edited:

Gee95

Hi Gee95,

We received an update this morning that informed us that classroom based training is likely to be resuming very shortly. The last few parts of the plan are being finalised, such as the staggering of start times etc. The actual classroom setup has been approved by health and safety executives.

Plans around the resumption of cab based training are still being looked at so for those that are at the handling stage they will likely have to wait a little longer. I believe that cab training is being trialed at industry level and once this has been completed it will help set out a plan for how this part of training will resume.

So I guess in short, training will hopefully begin to start up again shortly however it may take a while before things can return to normal.

Hope this helps.

All the best.
Hi Gee95,

We received an update this morning that informed us that classroom based training is likely to be resuming very shortly. The last few parts of the plan are being finalised, such as the staggering of start times etc. The actual classroom setup has been approved by health and safety executives.

Hope this helps.

All the best.

Thanks for the info, really helpful. Was due to start this month so hoping for an email soon

akasutts

Thanks for the info, really helpful. Was due to start this month so hoping for an email soon

No worries. I’ll update this page with any future updates regarding the resumption of training just to keep you in the loop.

Fingers crossed you get the call soon and all the best for when you do get started.

andyccfc

Passed the DMI so just the medical to go now. I believe I am probably slightly ahead of you because I am down for the Coventry depot so I am guessing there is a more pressing need for trainees there as opposed to the Birmingham depots where courses are currently being ran.

The interview went ok though. Very weird over video, especially as my video didn't work so I couldn't even see who I was talking to! Fairly relaxed and didn't really press on any of my answers at all.... Very much a 'ok' and then onto the next question. They did ask me what I knew about WMT, why I wanted to become a driver, dealing with an emergency, what's important to the company, how I would improve the company, how I would deal with a colleague who has a negative attitude to the job. Just off the top of my head. So fairly different to the MMI really.

Took a week to get back to me with the good news which was a bloody long week. They did say they would not be starting training until they knew the course could be completed in full, so in cab training etc has to be allowed to go ahead before they will commence any courses.

Grafter1900

Passed the DMI so just the medical to go now. I believe I am probably slightly ahead of you because I am down for the Coventry depot so I am guessing there is a more pressing need for trainees there as opposed to the Birmingham depots where courses are currently being ran.

The interview went ok though. Very weird over video, especially as my video didn't work so I couldn't even see who I was talking to! Fairly relaxed and didn't really press on any of my answers at all.... Very much a 'ok' and then onto the next question. They did ask me what I knew about WMT, why I wanted to become a driver, dealing with an emergency, what's important to the company, how I would improve the company, how I would deal with a colleague who has a negative attitude to the job. Just off the top of my head. So fairly different to the MMI really.

Took a week to get back to me with the good news which was a bloody long week. They did say they would not be starting training until they knew the course could be completed in full, so in cab training etc has to be allowed to go ahead before they will commence any courses.

Well done, almost there

Dante

Well done! Your last paragraph has made me wince a little, I feel like I've been waiting to hear anything for so long now that a start date certainly doesn't sound imminent. I'd sort of thought maybe September, but feels like that might even be too optimistic.

andyccfc

Yeah there are plenty of courses ahead of where I'd be, including those given dates already as well as those who have already started and have been sat at home for the last 4 months. I'm in no major rush and it'll be when it'll be. I know the hard work is done and over with now so I can relax and wait.

Plus I'd be taking a pretty hefty wage drop before the salary goes up so I wouldn't want to start training for there to be further delays with seconds spikes etc and stuck on the initial wage longer than I'd need to be.

Yes I’m at Birmingham, still awaiting rebooking, was a bit gutting since I was 3 days away from my DMI before it was cancelled.

Good job on passing, sounds a lot more chill than I would’ve expected, although I suppose it could depend on which manager you get, serves to be prepared.

I’m also going to be taking a substantial pay cut initially, I’ll be transferring from HS2 where I’m currently based, the extra time does allow us to shore up a bit more finance although I was eager to get going.
We’d have probably already have started training now if it weren’t for covid, the bloody timing of it all eh?

Coach Carter

Yeah there are plenty of courses ahead of where I'd be, including those given dates already as well as those who have already started and have been sat at home for the last 4 months. I'm in no major rush and it'll be when it'll be. I know the hard work is done and over with now so I can relax and wait.

Plus I'd be taking a pretty hefty wage drop before the salary goes up so I wouldn't want to start training for there to be further delays with seconds spikes etc and stuck on the initial wage longer than I'd need to be.

Once you start training even if you got stood down due to a second lockdown your pay will still move up after 36 weeks from the date you started.
Just had my rise 6 weeks ago and I’ve been at home since mid March.

andyccfc

Once you start training even if you got stood down due to a second lockdown your pay will still move up after 36 weeks from the date you started.
Just had my rise 6 weeks ago and I’ve been at home since mid March.

Ah right I didn't know that's how it worked. That's great though knowing you're only on the base wage for a set period.

Coach Carter

Ah right I didn't know that's how it worked. That's great though knowing you're only on the base wage for a set period.
Yer is 36 weeks when you move on to the middle wage and then exactly a year from then you move onto the proper wage.
Hope you enjoy the course bud, it’s good facilities at the academy with good people.
Best of luck

tomsharp

Looking at this position and have some questions, I was successful last year in passing the paper tests for a drivers role with EMR but never got the chance to take it any further , would you put this down as taking the OPC tests ? Also the height restrictions, I am over the threshold for height being 6”9 , how strict would they be in applying this as when I applied two years ago for a conductor role , there was no restrictions and it’s still the same cab and working environment I would expect? It seems somewhat discriminatory.
All the best

Coach Carter

Looking at this position and have some questions, I was successful last year in passing the paper tests for a drivers role with EMR but never got the chance to take it any further , would you put this down as taking the OPC tests ? Also the height restrictions, I am over the threshold for height being 6”9 , how strict would they be in applying this as when I applied two years ago for a conductor role , there was no restrictions and it’s still the same cab and working environment I would expect? It seems somewhat discriminatory.
All the best
From what your saying it sounds like you have done part one of the opc tests so you would be sent to to part 2 if you get through the paper sift.
I’d apply regardless of your height and not even mention it, let them decide. I know of another driver at WMT that’s about 6’6 and he has always been fine.
How com EMR didn’t send you onto the second stage of testing?

tomsharp

Hiya mate, thanks for the offer. I’m currently in a talent pool with freightliner after passing tests and dmi with them so I have a good idea of what’s to come but I might msg you in next few days to ask a few things if that’s ok?
How did you feel you got on mate?
The way EMR do it was
Paper tests
Video interview
Computer tests
I didn’t get passed the video interview unfortunately, but you live and learn.
I just find it disappointing when am limited because of my height. I could understand if it was for safety reasons, but it has never been a issue before.

Wba0986

Well done mate. Fingers crossed we hear soon for all our dmi's. I've got the mindset now if I do get through it will be a feb/march/april start next year.
Hope to see you on a course some time and thanks for the preview questions

Fozzy1

Hi all, first time post on here but over the last few months I've found reading this forum really reassuring as we're all in the same boat. I was due to start the trainee driver course today having passed the DMI back in November last year and attended the medical almost two months ago. Understandably it's been pushed back, but is there any idea when they might start again? The recruitment team advised that there's a possibility of having to re-do the final interview again if the course doesn't start within 12 months of passing it originally. Considering everything is frozen at the moment and with no updates forthcoming, I'm starting to think this may be the case which makes me nervous because interviews usually go one of two ways with me - pretty good or terrible! However helpful the recruitment team have been over the last year, I'm starting to lose hope now that there is a plan to get us started any time soon. If anyone is aware of any developments I'd be very grateful if you could share them to give me some peace of mind. Thank you

Coach Carter

Mate they will definitely try to get you back through and onto course as quick as they can. They are taking applications for next year so need the current applications through as soon as safe to do so.
After so long most places do the interview again. Is mainly to make sure nothing has changed about you or your life. You’ll be fine

Withoutabix

Any more updates from guys currently on courses / in training? They started you back into the class rooms yet or still on furlough?

akasutts

Any more updates from guys currently on courses / in training? They started you back into the class rooms yet or still on furlough?

Still off. We received an email last week which basically said that in terms of training resuming, things are moving in the right direction. In that update however no date was given for when exactly we would return. I believe the update mentioned that industry level trials had been successful to this point but were still ongoing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.