• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMTrains livery and station branding

59CosG95

Established Member
Yes, but there is no certainty (or requirement) for the next TOC to actually adopt them, unlike ScotRail. It's just at their cost if they don't.

What they basically ruled out was the use of the likes of "First x", "Stagecoach X", "Arriva X", "Virgin X" etc unless the company paid the full costs of removing it *and* providing a replacement generic brand.
My personal take is that the current LN(W)R livery/branding is similar to the WMR branding as they're operated by the same parent company at present. Of course, the WMR branding may yet change again if TfWM change their minds again, but that seems likely to be the long-term branding.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
My personal take is that the current LN(W)R livery/branding is similar to the WMR branding as they're operated by the same parent company at present.

It is, which probably saved a quid or three. But the requirement written into all new franchises (I believe) is that the branding must be able to be passed as-is to the next TOC. They don't have to use it, but any changes to it are at the new TOC's cost. As an alternative the incumbent can use a branding they aren't willing to pass on, but if they do it's fully at *their* cost to remove it and replace it with a viable new brand on the end of their franchise - and I don't just mean getting the electrical tape out.

Bus1237

I actually noticed at Olton that the new sign is just a sticker, you can still see the old network WM sign underneath! So is the new style a trial perhaps? Because I don't think a sticker is going to last for years and years...

pt_mad

Established Member
I actually noticed at Olton that the new sign is just a sticker, you can still see the old network WM sign underneath! So is the new style a trial perhaps? Because I don't think a sticker is going to last for years and years...
Maybe a vinyl type commercial sign applied to the old metal LM signs? They do last. Many shops have these, including my local corner shop which has one over metal that's been up at least 5 years I'd say.

It wouldn't be too eco friendly to take down all the metal signs and replace with complete new metal just because the colours had changed. It's only the print changing after all?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Maybe a vinyl type commercial sign applied to the old metal LM signs? They do last. Many shops have these, including my local corner shop which has one over metal that's been up at least 5 years I'd say.

It wouldn't be too eco friendly to take down all the metal signs and replace with complete new metal just because the colours had changed. It's only the print changing after all?

True, the problem is that many TOC signs (and I forget if it's true of the LM ones) have the lettering embossed, so if you just stick a vinyl over the top, however hard-wearing, it's obvious that you've done it on the cheap.

pt_mad

Established Member
True, the problem is that many TOC signs (and I forget if it's true of the LM ones) have the lettering embossed, so if you just stick a vinyl over the top, however hard-wearing, it's obvious that you've done it on the cheap.
Ahh yes perhaps some signs are enamelled.

Could it be the case from the poster's observation that the Network West Mids signs being covered up may be done with vinyl because they are white, and might be vinyl over metal already?
Covering black with white I could imagine might be more difficult. Perhaps those would need new signs.

sd0733

Established Member
I saw 350377 earlier, on of the centre coaches it now has some adverts for days out in Stratford upon Avon. Sorry couldn't get a pic.

pt_mad

Established Member
I saw 350377 earlier, on of the centre coaches it now has some adverts for days out in Stratford upon Avon. Sorry couldn't get a pic.
Sounds cool. Was the whole coach vinyled up or window tops like the BTP version or something else?

sd0733

Established Member
Sounds cool. Was the whole coach vinyled up or window tops like the BTP version or something else?

It's a little bit like the old Northern livery where they put adverts on the lighter purple bit. It was in the gaps between one of the W on the side. I'll try and get a pic if see it again

brwmly

And yet no one has still taken a photo of it so the rest of us can see.

centraltrains

Not those strange blue and yellow text screens ;(
There is so much potential for screens like that, yet they insist on making them look like a BSOD.

TH172341

Don't think this has been mentioned but the 172s are having LED interior lighting fitted. Quite a few of the 172/3s now out with it (172335, 172340 and 172341 all have them). Certainly at night noticeably brighter inside although the as fitted lighting before was decent!

anamyd

On Moderation
Is this because they're full colour LCDs being driven by the same PIS controller as the old LED dot matrixes?
I don't know but I like your thinking, reminds me of one 158 with the dot matrix destination displays running off the original controller, and buses with an LED / flipdot mishmash all working due to being the same brand.

anamyd

On Moderation
Very nice, though a shame that they didn't update the lighting to LEDs. That, in particular, really ages the look. Oh well, they'll only be in service a few more years. I wonder whether the replacements will be as fast in accelerating!
I quite like the yellowy light look with the modern interior stuff!

pt_mad

Established Member
I quite like the yellowy light look with the modern interior stuff!

Some yellowy tubes are LED. Retrofit which look exactly the same as an old style tube. It's the warmness style of the lamp which determines whether it's yellow, white or blue white. Neutral white is about 4000k (Kelvin's), warm white about 2700k and blue 5000k+. They can specify any colour output and still have LED. So I suppose we won't know.

Last edited:

anamyd

On Moderation
Some LED yellowy tubes are LED. Retrofit which look exactly the same as an old style tube. It's the warmness style of the lamp which determines whether it's yellow, white or blue white. Neutral white is about 4000k (Kelvin's), warm white about 2700k and blue 5000k+. They can specify any colour output and still have LED. So I suppose we won't know.
True! In this case though I was referring to the fluorescent lights as the yellowy lights :)

pt_mad

Established Member
True! In this case though I was referring to the fluorescent lights as the yellowy lights :)
I know. What I mean is tubes are available which appear like florescent tubes but actually have tiny LEDs inside the tubes .so from outside the end user can't tell. Not saying the train ones are. I think posters have claimed the Pendolino yellowy lights are LED type and they don't appear it to the layman.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I know. What I mean is tubes are available which appear like florescent tubes but actually have tiny LEDs inside the tubes .so from outside the end user can't tell. Not saying the train ones are. I think posters have claimed the Pendolino yellowy lights are LED type and they don't appear it to the layman.

The spots are LED, I’m not sure about the tubes.

Indeed, LED can be any colour you like. My house is all GU10 spots and you can’t tell they aren’t halogens other than by looking at the electricity bill.

anamyd

On Moderation
I don't like LEDs that are too much of a harsh white

centraltrains

I just hope they don't roll out LED lighting into 323s like the one prototype? version (202? (different to the 217 modification)). For some reason, I feel very claustrophobic on that specific train. Very unusual as practically never feel claustrophobic.

Is this because they're full colour LCDs being driven by the same PIS controller as the old LED dot matrixes?
Is it possible for them to do that?? I really don't know how data is conveyed through trains, but one would have thought if a standard string/text message is sent along the cable, it is likely up to the individual device how to exactly display it - and a much more pleasant display on the screen could be possible.

Is this getting a bit off topic from branding?