• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMTrains livery and station branding

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SoccerHQ

Got on one of the Cross City trains at Erdington this afternoon that had a refurb, electric screen and station announcements which startled me! Bad news is this was before 5 and already gone few 3 stations past New Street and it felt even more cramped than usual with many still standing up to Sutton.

DavidGrain

Established Member
Apsley boards making really good use of the space dont really understand this squashing up on one side.View attachment 59967

For presentation I would have centred the station name letting the logo remain to the top left. Apsley, of course, has one of the shortest station names and this is what spoils the layout if the name is right justified.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Apsley boards making really good use of the space dont really understand this squashing up on one side.View attachment 59967

So they can put other promotional garbage on there, e.g. promotion of trains to Birmingham International from a platform that does not and cannot have trains going to Birmingham International, which is utterly, mind-numbingly stupid. (See Hemel for an example).

You can see on Twitter who is responsible for this garbage as he keeps showing off about it. Please, TOCs, just go to Ray Stenning.

(I don't have any involvement personally in Ray's business - I just know he does a good job - and nor do I know the other guy other than having seen the absolutely appalling quality of LNR and WMR's publicity material and liveries when compared to the master of publicity and "look and feel" that LM were)

Last edited:

driver_m

Established Member
Sorry but your reaction to this is so OTT. And making LM sound like they were just the best. Is tthis not the same company that went into meltdown everyone there was disruption on the WCML and left the passengers to fend for themselves?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sorry but your reaction to this is so OTT. And making LM sound like they were just the best.

As a TOC they were mixed (though I don't agree with your other point about it going into meltdown), but their marketing, publicity and design was second to none - I think I'd only put ScotRail ahead of them in "look and feel" terms. They had an absolutely excellent, strong brand that was applied really well to everything they did.

Having been used to that, LNR's branding and publicity is weak and amateurish in the extreme. It's improved slightly over the stuff that was put out on day one (which was even grammatically quite poor), but only slightly.

samuelmorris

Established Member
As a TOC they were mixed (though I don't agree with your other point about it going into meltdown), but their marketing, publicity and design was second to none - I think I'd only put ScotRail ahead of them in "look and feel" terms. They had an absolutely excellent, strong brand that was applied really well to everything they did.
I'd generally agree with that. LM weren't particularly well-liked as a TOC and for good reason, WMT may well be better, but LM's branding was pretty good. Whatever you think of the fleet liveries, I'd argue that branding on this franchise is poor - somewhat confusing and badly designed.

DavidGrain

Established Member
Now that I have seen the full WMR livery on trains I realise that I don't like all over dark colours. I had the same reaction to the similar First livery as in First Great Western. I rate the LNW livery better than the WMR but I would still say that LM livery was much better.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Now that I have seen the full WMR livery on trains I realise that I don't like all over dark colours. I had the same reaction to the similar First livery as in First Great Western. I rate the LNW livery better than the WMR but I would still say that LM livery was much better.

I really don't like the WMR livery either - purple and orange just clash when they meet directly, and it doesn't respect the shape of the unit. The silver-based prototype livery was, on the other hand, one of the best I've seen anywhere.

As for the 350/2 "interim" livery that is just utterly awful. Far worse than the LM livery with a sticker. A pointless waste of time and money.

driver_m

Established Member
Quite a few of the 350s are now carrying adverts on the sets now. Cadburyworld and Liverpool.

Have to respond to the other points made that I'd sooner a TOC try and at least run a service during disruption than get it's PR on point .Plus, I'd also argue that the massive ad on Lime St offering kids to London for a quid (with a family Railcard) doesn't strike me as bad advertising, especially when it's upping it's game against my TOC from May with quicker services from Crewe, and eventual new trains, plus direct trains to London, even if they take ages to get there.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Have to respond to the other points made that I'd sooner a TOC try and at least run a service during disruption than get it's PR on point

I think it should do both. They are done by entirely separate sets of staff, so there is no real case for them not to.

That aside, I don't agree with the views on LM in disruption, at least in the context of the south WCML. The policy followed, whether intentional or not, is basically "run everything as booked even if it's badly delayed", which is the best way to provide the capacity needed; it can be sorted out by cancellations between the peaks. I fear that the new greater number of long through services will necessitate a more Southern-like policy of skip-stopping, short-forming and cancellations, which is abandoning the interests of the core market of the franchise (local passengers) in favour of an extra few quid from cheap fares.

BucksBones

I think it should do both. They are done by entirely separate sets of staff, so there is no real case for them not to.

That aside, I don't agree with the views on LM in disruption, at least in the context of the south WCML. The policy followed, whether intentional or not, is basically "run everything as booked even if it's badly delayed", which is the best way to provide the capacity needed; it can be sorted out by cancellations between the peaks. I fear that the new greater number of long through services will necessitate a more Southern-like policy of skip-stopping, short-forming and cancellations, which is abandoning the interests of the core market of the franchise (local passengers) in favour of an extra few quid from cheap fares.

LM did skip stops in times of disruption; I personally experienced quite a number of Tring stoppers that ended up not doing, as it were (one particularly roller-coaster like trip from Tring to Euston on a 321 on the fast line with 2 passengers on board stands out in my memory!) and a couple of times I recall non-stop runs from Northampton to Birmingham New Street.

On the other hand, LM were notably better at providing extra stop orders to the quieter stations in the event of their allotted service being cancelled - something I hope LNR will improve at.

I take your point, though, that the new longer services are inevitably going to lead to more disrupted journeys; it’s hard to see how that can be avoided.

EDIT: sorry, that was way off-topic; I forgot this was the traction/rolling stock sub-forum.

Just to get a little way back on track, the more I see that nasty green vinylled front end on the 350s the uglier I think it looks. It’s also not wearing very well with yellow spots appearing through it. I also saw a /3 the other day with a formerly half yellow gangway door that had had its black upper half painted by brush in a totally mismatched shade of pale custard. Much like the half-a***d re-livery of the 350/2s and the silly station signs with tiny writing, it does beg the comment ‘if you can’t do a job properly, don’t do it at all’...!

Last edited:

DavidGrain

Established Member
It does raise questions about what are station name boards for. If it is tell passengers on trains which is their stop to get off then they should be large and spaced at reasonably short intervals along the platform. If they are to tell people standing on the platform who have got lost then small letters are OK. Perhaps it is my age but I do not read passing station name boards as quickly as I used to do.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It does raise questions about what are station name boards for. If it is tell passengers on trains which is their stop to get off then they should be large and spaced at reasonably short intervals along the platform. If they are to tell people standing on the platform who have got lost then small letters are OK. Perhaps it is my age but I do not read passing station name boards as quickly as I used to do.

They are clearly so someone on a train with non-functional or incorrect PIS can see where they are. Passengers on the platform who have not alighted from a train clearly already know where they are or they wouldn't have managed to get there! :)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Just to get a little way back on track, the more I see that nasty green vinylled front end on the 350s the uglier I think it looks. It’s also not wearing very well with yellow spots appearing through it. I also saw a /3 the other day with a formerly half yellow gangway door that had had its black upper half painted by brush in a totally mismatched shade of pale custard. Much like the half-a***d re-livery of the 350/2s and the silly station signs with tiny writing, it does beg the comment ‘if you can’t do a job properly, don’t do it at all’...!

I'm guessing they have found that the half-black half-yellow gangway doors don't have quite enough yellow on them to comply?

Either way they should have waited for the lights to be upgraded before doing that. If nothing else, the yellow gangway emphasizes the pig-ugly part of a gangwayed train, rather than the previous yellow (particularly the later half-black version) which emphasized its more attractive parts such as the curves of the front windows rather than just showing off the collection of dead flies and wasps on something which rather resembles a coffin standing on end.

It's just rubbish from start to finish. Putting "direct trains to Birmingham International" on signs on a platform that does not have, has never had and will never have direct trains to Birmingham International (which WILL cause confusion) is just the icing on the cake (or more accurately the fly on the turd), really. If you're going to have that on the signs, have it say somewhere important where you can get to from there, like, you know, that big city at the end of the south WCML that quite a lot of people like to go to once in a while?

The one thing I like about it is the colour palette - the two-tone green looks quite nice.

Last edited:

BucksBones

I'm guessing they have found that the half-black half-yellow gangway doors don't have quite enough yellow on them to comply?

Either way they should have waited for the lights to be upgraded before doing that. If nothing else, the yellow gangway emphasizes the pig-ugly part of a gangwayed train, rather than the previous yellow (particularly the later half-black version) which emphasized its more attractive parts such as the curves of the front windows rather than just showing off the collection of dead flies and wasps on something which rather resembles a coffin standing on end.

It's just rubbish from start to finish. Putting "direct trains to Birmingham International" on signs on a platform that does not have, has never had and will never have direct trains to Birmingham International (which WILL cause confusion) is just the icing on the cake (or more accurately the fly on the turd), really. If you're going to have that on the signs, have it say somewhere important where you can get to from there, like, you know, that big city at the end of the south WCML that quite a lot of people like to go to once in a while?

The one thing I like about it is the colour palette - the two-tone green looks quite nice.

At the risk of ‘and-another-thing’-ing (!), one of the most toe-curling features of the brand has to be the Quote of the Day where staff are evidently instructed to write ‘hilarious’ or ‘meaningful’ quotes of their choice on a whiteboard in a quasi-spontaneous way. As I understand it, it’s a thing that started spontaneously on the Underground as a bit of fun but then Management got hold of it; and now, not only has it become officially part of the gig but it’s spreading to other companies! I bet the staff hate it. *

*Unless I’m being a cynic and it genuinely is a bit of fun that happens to be everywhere because station staff love doing it....!

Silverlinky

Just looking at a sample journey in National Rail Enquiries shows that Hemel Hempstead WILL have a direct service to Brimingham International from the new timetable. Hourly departing at XX47 and arriving at International at XX28.......no changes and a journey time of 1 hour 41 minutes.
Return journeys are again hourly.....XX05 past the hour, XX50 into Hemel an hour and 50 minutes later.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
At the risk of ‘and-another-thing’-ing (!), one of the most toe-curling features of the brand has to be the Quote of the Day where staff are evidently instructed to write ‘hilarious’ or ‘meaningful’ quotes of their choice on a whiteboard in a quasi-spontaneous way. As I understand it, it’s a thing that started spontaneously on the Underground as a bit of fun but then Management got hold of it; and now, not only has it become officially part of the gig but it’s spreading to other companies! I bet the staff hate it. *

*Unless I’m being a cynic and it genuinely is a bit of fun that happens to be everywhere because station staff love doing it....!

TBH I actually don't mind that, I recall thinking it was a fairly nice feature nicked from the Underground that gives something relatively faceless a bit of a personal edge. But each to their own.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Just looking at a sample journey in National Rail Enquiries shows that Hemel Hempstead WILL have a direct sercie to Brimingham International from the new timetable. Hourly departing at XX47 and arriving at International at XX28.......no changes and a journey time of 1 hour 41 minutes.

Not from platform 4 it won't. It will depart from Platform 3, which is where that sort of sign, if they are going to waste space on the station signs with it rather than just putting it on a poster, should go.

Silverlinky

Not from platform 4 it won't. It will depart from Platform 3, which is where that sort of sign, if they are going to waste space on the station signs with it rather than just putting it on a poster, should go.

True enough.........

Was interested to see these services will terminate at Rugeley Trent Valley, running Euston-Northampton-Birmingham-Walsall-Cannock-Rugeley.........

BucksBones

TBH I actually don't mind that, I recall thinking it was a fairly nice feature nicked from the Underground that gives something relatively faceless a bit of a personal edge. But each to their own.

If a staff member comes on and says ‘well actually we rather enjoy it’ then I would perform a complete u-turn. I suspect they don’t, though...!

True enough.........

Was interested to see these services will terminate at Rugeley Trent Valley, running Euston-Northampton-Birmingham-Walsall-Cannock-Rugeley.........

Indeed, therefore the International thing will apply at every station*, making the Hemel signs even more daft

*northbound platforms only of course!!

Last edited:

Established Member
If a staff member comes on and says ‘well actually we rather enjoy it’ then I would perform a complete u-turn. I suspect they don’t, though...!

Not at WMR but I have seen Snapchat images of what is usually written on the boards BEFORE being rolled out onto the station concourses at 5am. Mildly controversial, most started with Roses are Red... and contained -off at some point

59CosG95

Established Member
Not sure if this is the right thread (given that it relates to station improvements), but Stechford is now receiving a £3.9m modernisation for the Access for All scheme (read: lift installation and a new footbridge), due to be complete by the end of the year.

lammergeier

Not sure if this is the right thread (given that it relates to station improvements), but Stechford is now receiving a £3.9m modernisation for the Access for All scheme (read: lift installation and a new footbridge), due to be complete by the end of the year.
Good news, same at Lichfield Trent Valley which is finally getting lifts installed.

pt_mad

Established Member
Noticed that 350377 now has advertising on one of the centre coaches where the large W logo is replaced with RSC Royal Shakespeare Company visit Stratford on Avon. Looks rather good.