• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMTrains livery and station branding

JordyWM

NX buses will not loose the livery or brand. They are not associated in any way with TfWM. They are a private company as are all bus companies that operate in the West Midlands. TfWM only sponsor certain services or journeys

Thanks for that, it was just that article that shows a TfWM branded bus. I’d prefer the nice NX liveries to stay.

I just thought it might have been a possibility since for example, the NX Metro was branded as Network West Midlands etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spirit555

The Metro is a franchised company(on behalf of the local authority, Centro as it was) just like train operators are. Several applied to run it but TfWM decided to take it in house hence they will be applying their own livery in due course and also changing fares.

whhistle

On Moderation
They should tone down the orange so it's a bit deeper though.
Very bright = very clashy.

But then I appreciate I'm in the minority - I like the SWR livery for example.

Rail Blues

My abiding feeling about that livery is that I find myself craving a double decker every time I see it.

JordyWM

Even though the new style livery shares a lot of similarities, it's also quite a departure from the one already applied.

I wonder how long before we see this new one on a train?

dorsetdesiro

Any news about LNR? Their logo was recently tweaked to match WMR's that perhaps their livery will change slightly too?

As LNR is also part of WMT, even though it doesn't come under TfWM, it could possibly get a green version of the updated WMR livery?

DavidGrain

Established Member
I am one of those who think that the suggested new livery for WMR is horrible. I did not like the the original livery announced by WMCA early last year long before the franchise was awarded either. I don't know if I was the only one who noticed something about the old LM livery. If you saw a train from the side in the distance it looked a string of little 4 wheel carriages as the livery split every car into looking like three little ones.

On the question of bus liveries in the West Midlands, it would only be if WMCA went the way of franchising bus services as they are in London could they impose a livery.
For those not familiar with the area, the main operator is National Express West Midlands who are operating a number of liveries:
The older buses were red at the front and white at the back as if they had got stuck half-way through the paint shop. I liked this view from the front as it looked as if there was an old Midland Red approaching
Then there were the hybrids which appear to have gone into store which were green at the front.
Then NX Coventry which is just a brand not a separate operator are light blue (probably called Sky Blue after the football team) and white.
Then 2 new liveries came out.
The new buses came out in a very retro looking maroon livery
and there are the so called upgraded buses which are called Platinum services but which are actually a very dark grey

xc170

I#
Then there were the hybrids which appear to have gone into store which were green at the front.

Off topic I know, but the hybrids aren't going into store, they're being repainted into standard NX Maroon livery.

trash80

Established Member
The fact they are specifying a bus livery indicates bus franchises are something they are thinking about. Indeed the Modern Railways article talks about TfWM wanting to "emulate TfL", make of that as you will.

The revised liveries looks interesting though the real thing will probably look a bit different.

Last edited:

tomuk

Established Member
Indeed the Modern Railways article talks about TfWM wanting to "emulate TfL", make of that as you will.
I thought emulating TFL was the problem with the 'current' WMR livery, it was too much like London Overground.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Both of the driving ends of one (maybe more?) WMT 323 now has a grey lower front, any ideas why this has been changed?

JaJaWa

Established Member
3rd round of completely different TfWM logos now appearing...

51903CF3-C092-4E4E-892E-44D029DAED04.jpeg

DavidGrain

Established Member
3rd round of completely different TfWM logos now appearing...

View attachment 49151

Those are the old logos. The 'n' logo goes back years in Centro days, West Midlands Travel Ltd have traded as National Express West Midlands since 2008. The WMCA have used that logo since the combined authority was set up 2 years ago.

Yes there will be a third livery for West Midlands Railways but I don't think we have seen it yet.

jhy44

Pig-ugly says me. Purple and orange clash horribly, it was better with the silver.

I respectfully disagree.

I still think it would be better just Purple/Grey, but Purple/Orange is MUCH better than the Purple/Orange/Grey combo. Orange/Grey and Orange/White look awful to my eyes, like the hideous Overground livery.

jhy44

They are not associated in any way with TfWM.

They are very associated with TfWM; TfWM are the regulating authority which licences them to operate, even on non-subsidized routes.

They are a private company as are all bus companies that operate in the West Midlands.

All buses that run in Greater London are also run by private companies. TfL dictate the livery however, the companies then place their logo on the side; the same as what will happen here in Birmingham now.

NX buses will not lose the livery or brand.
Yes they will. TfWM have confirmed it, it's already a power that is on statute/is now law, and this article literally confirms it, how much more evidence do you need?

DavidGrain

Established Member
Interesting that TfWM seems to be using the new WMCA logo there...
That is another reason why I think the information is way out of date as stated in my post 587 above

1024px-Transport_for_West_Midlands_Logo.svg.png

Lozzy0603

Anyone know what has happened to the London Northwestern re-brand project? Everything seems to have stopped, it looks like there are only a few 350's in service in the new colours?
They also seem to have stopped re-covering the seats on the 350/1s, some of which are now falling to bits, literally.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Anyone know what has happened to the London Northwestern re-brand project? Everything seems to have stopped, it looks like there are only a few 350's in service in the new colours?
There is in fact only one 350 in the new colours - the unit used for the franchise launch, 350373.

ChrisHogan

They are very associated with TfWM; TfWM are the regulating authority which licences them to operate, even on non-subsidized routes.

All buses that run in Greater London are also run by private companies. TfL dictate the livery however, the companies then place their logo on the side; the same as what will happen here in Birmingham now.

Yes they will. TfWM have confirmed it, it's already a power that is on statute/is now law, and this article literally confirms it, how much more evidence do you need?

TfWM isn't the "regulating authority" for National Express West Midlands. The regulating authority is the Traffic Commissioner, as it is everywhere outside London.

There is no evidence that Mayor/WMCA/TfWM wants to use their powers under last year's Buses Act to start a franchise-type operation on buses in the West Midlands.