• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMTrains livery and station branding

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JordyWM

That one isn't the full WMR livery though at least, it's just a temporary cover up for units that are soon to be leaving the franchise. Other units, such as the 172s, will be getting the full orange and purple livery, rather than this one. Besides, I'm sure the orange will look a lot nicer once we have trains without the yellow ends.

I disagree about having standardisation, it's nice to have a variety of liveries across the country, especially when they're ran by different TOCs. If this were British Rail, I'd be inclined to agree, but those days are long gone and I personally can't see them returning soon.

I agree, having variation is nice, and rememeber West Midlands branding has been seen over by the West Midlands Authority.

A bad design will always be that of the designer and company not because of it being privatised etc. I’d rather have a few bad and a few good designs than one bland corporate identity.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Coming thick and fast now!
Image credit to David Carter-Coates

Attachments

• 6892EC24-BCD6-4704-9368-0AD4DA2DAA91.jpeg
    6892EC24-BCD6-4704-9368-0AD4DA2DAA91.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 318

whhistle

On Moderation
Photo from Martin Bromage-Griffiths

FB_IMG_1532891664840.jpg

The deeper purple is much better.
Can't be called Double Decker anymore though

samuelmorris

Established Member
That's much better than the previous livery, I like it. Not too sure about the 323 one, it's fine but the yellow seems to stop in a rather inexplicable place - why not line the yellow up with the bottom of the cab?

387star

On Moderation
Looks good

Will clash horribly with the Interiors will the 172s be refreshed ?
Unit number?

Domh245

Established Member
That does look good, and the yellow gangway door doesn't look out of place like it does on the previous WMR livery or the LNWR one.

class387

Established Member
Coming thick and fast now!
Image credit to David Carter-Coates
Much prefer that to the original - the dark purple gives an impression of quality. Still not sure about just the gangway being yellow though. The front should either be all yellow or no yellow.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Much prefer that to the original - the dark purple gives an impression of quality. Still not sure about just the gangway being yellow though. The front should either be all yellow or no yellow.

I don't know, I think purple and orange without the silver is too intense. The original was to me nicer.

gazr

How about the top half black (linking both windows which are black outlined) and the bottom orange on the gangway?

class387

Established Member
How about the top half black (linking both windows which are black outlined) and the bottom orange on the gangway?
That would be my preferred option, yes. Even top black and bottom yellow would be better, though if the headlights don't comply I'm not sure that's enough yellow.

All yellow (and in fact all black) makes the gangway look like an afterthought that doesn't seem 'part' of the train. Despite this, it isn't as bad as yellow on purple .

Last edited:

dorsetdesiro

Yes, like the SWR 442s, 444s and 450s but these are in yellow instead of orange.

If I can remember, the 442's original NSE livery also had the gangway half in yellow then SWT repainted this in full yellow which didn't seem right clashing with the red paint. SWR are putting this back to half yellow again matching the 444s & 450s.

The updated WMR livery looks very nice indeed, I quite like the artistic effect of the diamonds "disappearing".

As TfWM have authority over WM based transport, including WMR, then LNR obviously wouldn't come under them so as a result their livery, from the art impression of the new Aventra 730s, seems to be largely unchanged then probably nothing would be planned for the LNR livery.

I have to say new 730 looks cool, even with the gangway ends, that I hope SWR will get something like this in the future to replace the 442s, 444s & 450s even this won't be for a very long while yet.

Last edited:

Tobberz

The orange and purple is good, but I'd like to see a livery entirely in that beautiful deep purple. Along with a good logo, that could end up looking very smart.

WYSH

Call me naive but can someone explain the reason as to why they have kept a strip of yellow? I was under the impression the lights on the 172 were good enough to operate without the yellow strip

Domh245

Established Member
Call me naive but can someone explain the reason as to why they have kept a strip of yellow? I was under the impression the lights on the 172 were good enough to operate without the yellow strip
The lights themselves might be (but I'm not sure that the way in which they operate do), but because they were introduced at a time when the new headlight rules didn't exist, they had to have the yellow panel and in order to get rid of it now they would have to go through mountains of paperwork - potentially in addition to modifying the lights

DenmarkRail

I’m sure you could get away with making the yellow front more orange. No one said it had to be a certain yellow

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The orange and purple is good, but I'd like to see a livery entirely in that beautiful deep purple. Along with a good logo, that could end up looking very smart.

This do you?

800px-317316_at_Cambridge.JPG

WAGN purple liveried 317316 at Cambridge

jhy44

Photo from Martin Bromage-Griffiths

View attachment 50231

Much better than anything else WMT have produced.

Whilst I still don't like the Yellow/Purple combo (that's personal preference and doesn't count for anything), this iteration looks smart, with just two colours, easily-distinguished ends and doorways, it's tidy, professional, and will be easy to keep looking clean (unlike white liveries).

If only they'd have done this to the 323s too (yes I know they're leaving the franchise and thus won't be fully re-liveried for economic reasons...)

In terms of colour; this still looks very yellow-gold rather than Orange to me, I know camera and lighting can affect things but no way is this the same shade of Orange that has been used to paint stations. They should have used this deep purple as their main / station-painting colour, instead of bizarrely trying to emulate the London Overground.

boxy321

If a future tram system is introduced for Coventry, then I suppose this may be branded separately to the Metro if both systems are not linked. With a different name and the Coventry buses already in blue, then another colour will have to be selected for the Coventry trams therefore complicating TfWM's colour coordinated policy more!
Trams in Coventry... What a bizarre notion! They used to terminate at the bottom of my street sometime before WWII.

Rail Blues

Much better than anything else WMT have produced.

Whilst I still don't like the Yellow/Purple combo (that's personal preference and doesn't count for anything), this iteration looks smart, with just two colours, easily-distinguished ends and doorways, it's tidy, professional, and will be easy to keep looking clean (unlike white liveries).

If only they'd have done this to the 323s too (yes I know they're leaving the franchise and thus won't be fully re-liveried for economic reasons...)

In terms of colour; this still looks very yellow-gold rather than Orange to me, I know camera and lighting can affect things but no way is this the same shade of Orange that has been used to paint stations. They should have used this deep purple as their main / station-painting colour, instead of bizarrely trying to emulate the London Overground.

Why are they emulating London Overground, they don't have a monopoly on the colour orange, you may as well argue LO are emulating the Glasgow Subway.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
I'm intrigued to see how they will adapt the 'yellow only on the gangway' idea to the 172/0s..

JordyWM

Have to say, it should be sickly, but it looks kinda good... Can’t help thinking if either the doors were silver or it had more silver it would have looked even better.

Now I’m thinking the trams should have been orange and blue or purple and blue.

The shade of orange looks strikingly nice too, which can’t often be said for myself.