• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMTrains livery and station branding

59CosG95

Established Member
Has anyone got any photos of the Polesworth new signage
I believe sd0733 was due to try; the attempt must have been unsuccessful.
I happened to pass through Polesworth yesterday and saw the signage for myself - it's basically the WMR sign of black font on a white background, but with the two green accents replacing the orange & purple, and a LNWR logo replacing the WMR one.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chiltern006

I happened to pass through Polesworth yesterday and saw the signage for myself - it's basically the WMR sign of black font on a white background, but with the two green accents replacing the orange & purple, and a LNWR logo replacing the WMR one.
Ok Thanks

sd0733

Established Member

Yes apologies, I didn't manage to get one either time.

Spirit555

After a long period of inactivity 323214 has now been tangoed. Seen in service on Cross City services today

Mark

Last edited:

sd0733

Established Member
Thanks for the confirmation.

Any idea when work's due to start revinyling the 172/2s?
They weren't in the original 1st batch of vinyling which were supposed to be complete some months ago, October 31st i believe was the date for completion of the 1st batch, which were the 350/2+3 323, 170s and 172/3 fleets. Presumably the rest will be carried out once those are all done. Maybe for the 172s the whole 2 car fleet (0s and 2s) will be carried out together.
Will also be interesting what happens livery wise to the 139s and 319s.

59CosG95

Established Member
They weren't in the original 1st batch of vinyling which were supposed to be complete some months ago, October 31st i believe was the date for completion of the 1st batch, which were the 350/2+3 323, 170s and 172/3 fleets. Presumably the rest will be carried out once those are all done. Maybe for the 172s the whole 2 car fleet (0s and 2s) will be carried out together.
Will also be interesting what happens livery wise to the 139s and 319s.
Indeed, about half the 350/2s still need revinyling. I'm fairly sure the 139s will be revinyled (probably at Stourbridge Jct), but not so sure about the 319s.

Chiltern006

Turns out the 323s are finished; 323243 has been tangoed since (at least) Tuesday the 15th.
Stratford-u-Avon Parkway has also been tangoed since (at least) the 15th.
I think that work should stay on them. Only the 172s and 139s to be done

BucksBones

View attachment 58428 << Was somebody looking for this? ;)

Wow! I always thought the LM white-on-black was a bad design as the thinness of the font made it very difficult to see from a train window at night, so I was pleased to hear LNR were using black-on-white. But... the station name is TINY! Isn’t there some sort of regulation governing legibility of station signs?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Did someone sign off doing Polesworth first as some kind of laugh?

Seriously though, that's poor - the font is way too small. The station name needs to be as large as will fit on the sign.

BucksBones

Seriously though, that's poor - the font is way too small. The station name needs to be as large as will fit on the sign.

Trouble is, because they’ve put that logo in the top left, that probably is about as large as they can go. The only alternative would be to position the name in larger font right at the bottom but then you have a large expanse of white to the top right which would look odd. It’s a shocking design really.

LeeLivery

Established Member
That is a disappointment. The LM signage always looked smart, this looks like MS Paint.

It's still better than the ridiculously small font at C Road & Barnsbury.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Since when do passengers need to know that station operator when they arrive at the station? I see the whole logo on signage as being completely unnecessary.

59CosG95

Established Member
Since when do passengers need to know that station operator when they arrive at the station? I see the whole logo on signage as being completely unnecessary.
Well, LM had it...GWR still have it, and so do London Overground, Southern, TfW, ScotRail, and possibly Northern.
I suppose it could help passengers who need to make an enquiry about the station when they might not know who operates it.

59CosG95

Established Member
Just passed the sign at Water Orton; I can confirm that the text on the signs there is noticeably larger than the ones at Polesworth. Furthermore, the new style of signage has been applied throughout the station.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Trouble is, because they’ve put that logo in the top left, that probably is about as large as they can go. The only alternative would be to position the name in larger font right at the bottom but then you have a large expanse of white to the top right which would look odd. It’s a shocking design really.

All of their graphical design and promotional material is extremely poor, to be honest, really amateurish. The bizarre thing is that the person doing it seems to be showing off about it on Twitter, completely ignoring the fact that all this is doing is making him look not very good at his job.