• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Woking signal centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRain87

Evening ladies and gents

I have to go to Woking signal centre on Monday for an interview - I scouted the area already to see where I need to be but saw there is a metal gated fence around the centre - anybody have any information as to if there ifs an intercom to get in, and where I go once inside the compound? Any info is a huge help.

Tony

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nom de guerre

There is an intercom, and you'll be told where to go. Don't worry!

Been a while since I was last there, but unless the layout has radically changed the operating floor and mess room is on the top floor, with various meeting rooms and the LOM and MOMs' offices downstairs.

Last edited:

MoorsBox

Evening ladies and gents

I have to go to Woking signal centre on Monday for an interview - I scouted the area already to see where I need to be but saw there is a metal gated fence around the centre - anybody have any information as to if there ifs an intercom to get in, and where I go once inside the compound? Any info is a huge help.

Tony

Good luck Tony, I also have an interview on Tuesday at Woking.

Can I ask other members on here, if successful at Interview stage, is it then a medical and then training school, and if so are trainees paid the grade bellow's salary through school, Also if they need to stay away during the week (say they go to York) would this cost be covered by NR?

Thanks for any info

Llanigraham

Established Member
Interview then medical then training school.
Whilst under training you are paid the rate one grade below your Box grade. Stops when you finally "sign the Box(panel)!
Accommodation whilst at Signalling School is paid for by NR.

Darbs

Yea after medical it would be dates for signalling school, maybe a few days /weeks at your box until a course becomes available . if you stay away NR pay all hotel and food and travel for you. You will be on the grade below until you finally pass out on your panel/workstation/box!

MoorsBox

Haslemere, how about you

How did it go, any freebies on the questions you were asked..cheers

Last edited:

TNbloke

Haslemere, how about you

How did it go, any freebies on the questions you were asked..cheers

I worked Haslemere box in the 80's, as a relief signalman. I'm surprised it's still there really ! I understand from a friend that's involved in resignalling projects,that's it's likely to be around for several more years yet,along with the 2 boxes either side of it.

Good luck !

godfreycomplex

Established Member
So what's likely to happen to the signallers once these boxes close down?

We'll all turn into unicorns and fly away!!

There'll be 5 or 6 who move into the new installation, and the rest will either spread to other local vacancies or take early retirement/voluntary redundancies. I would say the chance of compulsory redundancy is very slim
Resignalling is (touch wood) unlikely to trouble the Direct for a decade at least however

Last edited:

TRain87

We'll all turn into unicorns and fly away!!

There'll be 5 or 6 who move into the new installation, and the rest will either spread to other local vacancies or take early retirement/voluntary redundancies. I would say the chance of compulsory redundancy is very slim
Resignalling is (touch wood) unlikely to trouble the Direct for a decade at least however

What colour unicorns?

Thanks Will :)

Status
Not open for further replies.