• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Woking to Heathrow RailAir bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunderhead

Hello, does anybody know (ideally from first-hand knowledge) whether this is currently running?

I have asked both SWR and NX (who operate it) and they both gave generic-sounding answers linking to this page, which has left me with a tinge of doubt, as the journey planner and route maps on the NX website currently produce no results for routes to or from Woking.

Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TEW

Established Member
It's not currently running. The Guildford to Heathrow coach is though.

Dunderhead

Legend, thank you. I am grateful to my inner voice of doubt on this occasion! I wish it were possible to get reliable information on this from the actual operators of the service...

Edit: On that note, do you know of anywhere other than this forum where I could expect to reliably find out when this service does start running again?

TEW

Established Member
I have seen Monday 17th August mentioned, but I don't know how reliable that is.

Dunderhead

Sorry, I was looking for a good "official" source for the information (i.e. without having to ask insiders on this forum) rather than for you to give me an exact date yourself, but thank you all the same!

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
The Reading to Heathrow bus is also running, I believe at a reduced frequency at the moment (no more than hourly, if that.)

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Isn't the Reading to Heathrow bus operated by First on behalf of GWR?

It’s run by First Berkshire, I don't know what the funding arrangement is but it’s to provide connectivity with the whole rail network at Reading, not just GWR.

Dunderhead

That link now confirms the 17th August date for reintroduction of the Woking to Heathrow service.
That's great, good timing as the date I'm hoping to use it is only 10 days later! Many thanks again!

Surreyman

The RA2 (Guildford - Heathrow) has been running again for some weeks, it mostly carries fresh air and this was the position from when it started, well before Covid.
With the national express Woking - LHR route starting again, it is hard to see the Guildford route surviving, given that Air passenger numbers are now massively reduced.
I used the the RA2 once, sometime back, 3 passengers on board. It only runs/stops Gfd Stn, Surrey Uni, LHR.
As it is run by First Bus who run South West Railway and is marketed by them, assume some internal financial support going on?

Graham H

Recently looked to see how to get from Havant (south coast) to Heathrow and was surprised to see a Guildford bus running as I had never heard of it before, always assumed Woking was the change point. Now looking at an October journey and both Woking and Guildford are offered as bus connections but as the journey via Guildford takes approx 25 mins longer I would question its viability for passengers coming up the Portsmouth direct route I certainly wouldn't change at Guildford for the longer bus journey but perhaps its more convenient for any passengers coming off one of the connecting lines ?

theironroad

Established Member
I do wonder if the Guildford route wil survive, though pre covid numbers seemed to be picking up a bit as it's was becoming known. While air passenegers and international students at Surrey uni provide some of the base, it seemed that people working in Guildford and living in sw London and people working at airport also provide a healthy number of regular commuters.

I'm not sure if both Woking and Guildford routes can survive as the Woking one used to struggle with numbers as well and the frequency was reduced a few years back.

In an ideal world they'd have sorted out the Heathrow rail line from the sw by now so both Portsmouth line and mainline from Southampton would have direct rail access but don't see it happening anytime soon despite the plans that get resurrected every few years.

DelW

Established Member
I assumed the Guildford route was an attempted poaching operation by First, it was noticeable that on train announcements (at least on the Direct) pushed the Guildford bus but seemed to have stopped mentioning the (Nat Ex) bus from Woking.

I used occasionally to drive past the RA2 on the A3 and never saw a single passenger on board, though of course I could only see window seats on one side.

My biggest concern was that dividing the traffic between two routes might make both uneconomic and end up with both being withdrawn. Getting from Guildford area to LHR via London is slow and expensive, and if both buses disappeared, I'd probably end up driving for short duration trips or using taxis for longer ones. Though I suppose if the long promised 3tph on the North Downs ever becomes a reality, via Reading might also work.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

The Guildford route is one of a number of bus routes supported by Heathrow Airport to prove their sustainability credentials. Absolutely nothing to do with their desire for a third runway of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.