• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Woking to London Euston - ticket to London Terminals valid despite saying not valid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miklcct

On Moderation
I am reading the information page of National Rail Enquiries, and it specifically says that a ticket from Woking to London Terminals will not be valid to London Euston.

I want to verify this claim and to find out what kind of ticket if I needed to travel to London Euston. I tried the Routing Guide, in this case, Euston is in London group and I can't find a permitted route on the map which connects Woking and London Euston without crossing central London.

However, when I search on National Rail Enquiries, normally it will route me through the underground and I need a ticket to Underground zone 1 here. however, if I specifically route it through Willesden Junction, it will show me that a Woking to London Terminals ticket, which contradicts its own saying that a Woking to London Terminals ticket is not valid to Euston.

As break of journey is allowed on an Anytime ticket, that means I can alight at South Hampstead as a break of journey to avoid buying a more expensive ticket to South Hampstead, if I use London Overground to reach there. (£10.25 on a through ticket to South Hampstead not via London compared to £8.25 to London Terminals with 26-30 railcard).

nre.png

Where is the mistake here? Can anyone confirm, using the routing guide, that Woking to London Terminals is indeed valid to London Euston via Willesden Junction?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
The ticket is not valid on the Underground. You need a ticket from Woking to London Zone 1, which will enable you to make a journey on the Underground, from Vauxhall, or Waterloo (or Victoria), to Euston.

[edit]: sorry, I see there are some other aspects to your question which I have not addressed.

miklcct

On Moderation
The ticket is not valid on the Underground. You need a ticket from Woking to London Zone 1, which will enable you to make a journey on the Underground, from Vauxhall, or Waterloo (or Victoria), to Euston.
I understand that a train ticket isn't valid on the underground. What I am specifically asking is if the ticket is valid by changing at Clapham Junction and Willesden Junction into London Euston on national rail services only.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I understand that a train ticket isn't valid on the underground. What I am specifically asking is if the ticket is valid by changing at Clapham Junction and Willesden Junction into London Euston on national rail services only.
If National Rail Enquiries says something is a valid route (on the same ticket as you hold), then it's valid.

Similarly, if you're travelling in accordance with the itinerary you were given when buying your ticket, that's also valid.

The Routeing Guide can also be used to determine valid routes, but it's usually best to rely on the above two methods (which make it easy to prove you're in the right) if using a route that may be contentious.

hkstudent

Established Member
What surprises me is that, what TfL claim on Clapham Junction platform 0&1 (London Terminal Tickets not valid on this platform/service) would be having flaws and misleading.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What surprises me is that, what TfL claim on Clapham Junction platform 0&1 (London Terminal Tickets not valid on this platform/service) would be having flaws and misleading.

Nobody other than a rail enthusiast would even consider taking that route - it's slow and awkward compared with going into Waterloo and taking the Tube, a bus or a taxi. So it really doesn't matter.

hkstudent

Established Member
Nobody other than a rail enthusiast would even consider taking that route - it's slow and awkward compared with going into Waterloo and taking the Tube, a bus or a taxi. So it really doesn't matter.
Yeah, but the issue is still: the claim is faulty despite it is extremely unlikely to take that route. If TfL managed to seal this "loophole" of London Terminal ticket valid at Euston, that's another story.

Taking a bus or taxi when having a valid ticket cost you extra, which won't be a very good idea.
While, Victoria Line is quite congested (and hot during summer) at the most time in a day, taking the less crowded Overground train maybe a better idea.

Also, notably, if taking Overground route is cheaper than the LU / Bus / Taxi way, why not taking the Overground?

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yeah, but the issue is still: the claim is faulty despite it is extremely unlikely to take that route.

The claim is technically faulty, yes, but that faulty claim will never affect anyone other than a rail enthusiast.

Don't shout too much, anyway; if this is to be fixed, the fix will be to remove the validity, not to change the sign. Removing the validity by way of a negative easement in the Routeing Guide would cost much less and would affect no genuine passenger at all because it is simply not a sensible thing to do.

If TfL managed to seal this "loophole" of London Terminal ticket valid at Euston, that's another story.

Taking a bus or taxi when having a valid ticket cost you extra, which won't be a very good idea.
While, Victoria Line is quite congested (and hot during summer) at the most time in a day, taking the less crowded Overground train maybe a better idea.

Also, notably, if taking Overground route is cheaper than the LU / Bus / Taxi way, why not taking the Overground?

Anyone who can afford to travel to London from somewhere outside of the Zones (anyone inside them will already have an Oyster if they don't want to use contactless) can also afford £1.55 bus fare. The bus from Waterloo will be both quicker and easier than this proposed rail journey.

If they really can't afford it they might walk from Waterloo or Victoria instead, which I'm not sure wouldn't potentially still be quicker.

They will also almost certainly also have a contactless card with which they most likely bought their train ticket (not many Advances down that way). Or they will have bought an outboundary Travelcard, as almost everyone in the South East does when going for an off peak day trip to London, just because it's easier.

I'm all for shouting about and fixing genuinely misleading publicity, e.g. when TOCs claim things like "Off Peak tickets not valid" when there are plenty that are, e.g. tickets to which the unofficial "Network Rule"* applies. But this is so niche it really does not matter, and having the sign is of more benefit than not in terms of preventing people being penalty fared at places like Kensington Olympia or West Brompton.

* It's not a written rule but it does apply to most cross London ticket restriction codes - typically only the longer part of a cross London journey on a through off peak ticket will carry time restrictions.

Jan Mayen

Would a ticket from Woking to London Terminals be valid Woking-Clapham Junction-Denmark Hill-London Blackfriars?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The linked page clearly states that a route has to be reasonable, not an official Permitted Route.

Invites the discussion as to whether a route can ever be Permitted but not reasonable!

hkstudent

Established Member
Would a ticket from Woking to London Terminals be valid Woking-Clapham Junction-Denmark Hill-London Blackfriars?

Woking is "from the south", thus valid to Blackfriars and City Thameslink.
Despite some people may claim Waterloo - Waterloo East - London Bridge - Blackfriars may be the most direct route, the Denmark Hill one seems to be the most direct option (without incurring out of station interchange)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Where is the mistake here? Can anyone confirm, using the routing guide, that Woking to London Terminals is indeed valid to London Euston via Willesden Junction?
Woking to London Group is not permitted via Willesden Junction as none of the mapped routes show a route that way.

Why NRE shows it as a permitted route I cannot say. Some websites will show things which are not strictly valid for a variety of reasons.

If you wish to travel that way on the basis of "the booking engine says so" then it is your prerogative. Last time I travelled there no ticket gates were present but I can't say whether any have been installed since. If you get checked on London Overground services, at the gates at South Hampstead (if any now exist), or by a revenue block you are bound to run into problems as it is such a ridiculous route no sane person will go that way. You may win such a dispute but it will be hassle for very little financial reward.

The claim is technically faulty, yes, but that faulty claim will never affect anyone other than a rail enthusiast.

Don't shout too much, anyway; if this is to be fixed, the fix will be to remove the validity, not to change the sign. Removing the validity by way of a negative easement in the Routeing Guide would cost much less and would affect no genuine passenger at all because it is simply not a sensible thing to do.
The easiest fix for this is to bar all London Terminals tickets to/from/via Kensington Olympia/Shoreditch High Street, in the same manner that Farringdon is barred. There is no one in their sane mind needing to travel that way. I have no wish to see it happen but the more is shouted about it, the more likely this will happen being a genuine anomaly.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
When the unions decide to strike on the Underground it might be seen as a possible route. I'm sure I've been asked the question on my site before.
The easiest fix for this is to bar all London Terminals tickets to/from/via Kensington Olympia/Shoreditch High Street, in the same manner that Farringdon is barred. There is no one in their sane mind needing to travel that way. I have no wish to see it happen but the more is shouted about it, the more likely this will happen being a genuine anomaly.
Would you concede that Richmond - Willesden Junction - Euston is a potentially useful route (it's a similar length to Richmond - Waterloo) and thus Euston should be allowed from SWR stations beyond Richmond?

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Woking to London Group is not permitted via Willesden Junction as none of the mapped routes show a route that way.

Why NRE shows it as a permitted route I cannot say. Some websites will show things which are not strictly valid for a variety of reasons.
Because it's the shortest route by rail between Woking and London Euston? The tube used to be in the shortest route calculation, but it's not any more.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Because it's the shortest route by rail between Woking and London Euston? The tube used to be in the shortest route calculation, but it's not any more.
If that was the rule, shouldn’t NRES also produce convoluted rail only routes into St Pancras, Kings Cross, Moorgate, Liverpool St?

akm

Previously we've had someone buying a ticket to Weybridge at Euston (NR) and being surprised they got a not-valid-on-Underground ticket:

and someone buying a ticket from Epsom to Euston being similarly surprised:

In both threads the forum consensus appeared to be that a via-Willesden-Junction route is valid for such journeys, and the NR web page https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/Travelling-to-london.aspx#Terminals is wrong to suggest otherwise.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
When the unions decide to strike on the Underground it might be seen as a possible route. I'm sure I've been asked the question on my site before.

Fair point, but I'm not sure that means it should be allowed all the time. On a BR strike day I once travelled from Ormskirk to Preston via Liverpool and Manchester, that being the shortest route by which there was a service, and that was accepted fine, but I wouldn't even begin to suggest it was reasonable to do that normally.

Would you concede that Richmond - Willesden Junction - Euston is a potentially useful route (it's a similar length to Richmond - Waterloo) and thus Euston should be allowed from SWR stations beyond Richmond?

More so than Clapham Jn but it is still fairly niche.

Previously we've had someone buying a ticket to Weybridge at Euston (NR) and being surprised they got a not-valid-on-Underground ticket:

and someone buying a ticket from Epsom to Euston being similarly surprised:

In both threads the forum consensus appeared to be that a via-Willesden-Junction route is valid for such journeys, and the NR web page https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/Travelling-to-london.aspx#Terminals is wrong to suggest otherwise.

That is a bit of a planner issue - if you enter a London Terminal that is reached via the Tube they really should be offering a ticket to or from U1, not London Terminals.

Kite159

Veteran Member

On a hot day the Overground services beats the underground as they have AC.

Better to be on a slower cool train than working a sweat on the boiling hot Northern line. Especially if you have saved money by not having to buy a ticket to London terminals (instead only to Clapham Junction)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It is valid via Willesden Junction however it may not be wise to highlight such routes as it can result in their withdrawal.

That said, I would argue that Richmond to London Euston is actually not at all unreasonable via Willesden Jn (it's one change of train and there used to be a direct train from Richmond to London St Pancras; also it is a defined fare in the PAYG database).

By extension, as Woking to London is clearly valid via Richmond, therefore Woking to London Euston should equally be valid via Willesden Jn, though the argument over whether it should be valid via Clapham Jn/Willesden Jn is less arguable or clear-cut.

However some people in the rail industry may not agree with this interpretation of what is reasonable; after all Newark to London was disallowed via Nottingham, despite being an entirely reasonable and long standing permitted route :(

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
On a hot day the Overground services beats the underground as they have AC.

...says a railway enthusiast.

Literally no normal passenger will be doing this. It's slower than walking between Waterloo and Euston by the time you've faffed about changing twice, and that assumes your destination is near Euston which it probably isn't - more likely it'll be in the area south of Euston which brings it slightly nearer Waterloo than Euston itself.

Better to be on a slower cool train than working a sweat on the boiling hot Northern line. Especially if you have saved money by not having to buy a ticket to London terminals (instead only to Clapham Junction)

Er, the discussion is about buying a ticket to London Terminals. If you only buy one to Clapham Junction you would pay separately for LO and so there is no ticketing issue.

Andrew1395

I am reading the information page of National Rail Enquiries, and it specifically says that a ticket from Woking to London Terminals will not be valid to London Euston.

I want to verify this claim and to find out what kind of ticket if I needed to travel to London Euston. I tried the Routing Guide, in this case, Euston is in London group and I can't find a permitted route on the map which connects Woking and London Euston without crossing central London.

However, when I search on National Rail Enquiries, normally it will route me through the underground and I need a ticket to Underground zone 1 here. however, if I specifically route it through Willesden Junction, it will show me that a Woking to London Terminals ticket, which contradicts its own saying that a Woking to London Terminals ticket is not valid to Euston.

As break of journey is allowed on an Anytime ticket, that means I can alight at South Hampstead as a break of journey to avoid buying a more expensive ticket to South Hampstead, if I use London Overground to reach there. (£10.25 on a through ticket to South Hampstead not via London compared to £8.25 to London Terminals with 26-30 railcard).

View attachment 101149

With a ticket origin Woking and destination London Euston via Willesden Junction is the shortest route by rail. However the ticket is origin Woking destination London Terminals. So the question is for that ticket can Euston be considered a valid end destination under the group fare location London Terminals?

There is a difference between what is meant by the Routeing Guide London Group Group Routeing Point Routeing data, and the Fares pricing data group location London Terminals. They mean different things and are used in different ways by two distinct source data systems.

The end user journey planner receives both sets of source data and needs rules to interpret both and summarise that logic in a customer output. Currently without a rule that disbar the routeing it looks ok to me.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

Is it a useful route? Yes it will inevitably be to some people (also see below), but the validity of a London Terminals fare was never dependent on that. Do I think it should be permitted? Possibly, but what I think should happen is not really that relevant. There are many things I think should be permitted but that doesn't make them permitted under current routing rules.

My point is that it is an easy fix, which I suspect may well be one of the solutions considered if more is made of this, eg. through disputes because the ticket holder cannot eloquently explain himself on the spot, which is highly likely if a novice like OP who barely understands ticket validity is caught using one, given how unorthodox the routing is. If validity on the Overground orbital is clarified it will sort out many such issues and I suspect there is only one way the clarification will go.

I personally don't believe the current rules as written allow such routing, but I understand booking engines implement the rules on different interpretations and specs to the published rules and of course passengers should be allowed to travel according to a generated itinerary. I just don't think it is a good idea to be shouting about it as I doubt this is an intended routing otherwise there would have been clarification in routing maps to show that which they clearly don't at the moment.

Richmond - Waterloo is around 9.5 miles and Richmond - Willesden Junction - Euston is around 15 miles iirc. The former is under 20 minutes on a fast train and just under 30 on a slow train with an option for a Vauxhall interchange onwards to central London whereas the latter is just under 40 if you time it really well or much longer if you don't, which is the case for the bulk of the day. The former direct trains and the latter involving a split level interchange, or two extra changes if you are already on the Waterloo train. Say you are on the 1053 from Windsor today booked into Waterloo at 1149, a good 3 minute connection at Richmond onto the 1131 to Stratford getting into Willesden Junction at 1149, you then just miss the Euston train and end up on the 1204, finally getting into Euston at 1223. Alternatively say you are on a slow train, so 1108 from Strawberry Hill for example into Waterloo at 1146, getting into Richmond at 1118. Next Stratford train is 1131, so as above finally into Euston at 1223. Both illustrative examples taking over 30 minutes longer. The number of people who will find this routing useful (excluding anyone purely doing it to undercut the fare by interchanging at Vauxhall or Waterloo) is likely to be very small. Aside from those travelling to a destination near Euston (validity into which is a by-product of routing arrangement rather than primary consideration and still only on a par with travel time on the more obvious route via Vauxhall/Waterloo rather than offering a distinct advantage), the only other people that come to mind immediately are those preferring Overground stock over Underground stock (again not really a primary consideration when arranging fares validity) and people with accessibility requirements (which is a valid reason but normally catered for specifically rather than through wholesale changes to routing permissions for everyone).

Yes I suspect that may be the reason behind it, but it again goes back to a discussion that had taken place numerous times before on whether it is reasonable/allowed to randomly pick any station in a fares group, and the discrepancy between what is reasonable/allowed/intended/implemented but we've gone over this many more times than I care to remember already without really drawing any consensus.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
With a ticket origin Woking and destination London Euston via Willesden Junction is the shortest route by rail. However the ticket is origin Woking destination London Terminals. So the question is for that ticket can Euston be considered a valid end destination under the group fare location London Terminals?

They were going to solve that by creating a set of destinations to use instead of London Terminals, e.g. "London Vic/Waterloo" but this never happened, I wonder why?

Back in the day it would have been "London SR", i.e. Southern Region stations only (so not Euston), would it not?

Yes I suspect that may be the reason behind it, but it again goes back to a discussion that had taken place numerous times before on whether it is reasonable/allowed to randomly pick any station in a fares group, and the discrepancy between what is reasonable/allowed/intended/implemented but we've gone over this many more times than I care to remember already without really drawing any consensus.

You're certainly allowed to do that with Travelcards - you can pick any station in the Zones and map out the Permitted Routes to that then once you've crossed the boundary do what you like. Which is why the south WCML Travelcards are routed Watford Junction (to prevent travel via Bedford by choosing e.g. Elstree and Borehamwood as your destination, because Bedford Travelcards are more expensive) whereas the point to point tickets aren't (as they'd not be valid that way anyway, demonstrating that London Terminals in the case of point to point tickets means "the London Terminals that are relevant").

My view is that by contrast you should consider London Terminals as if it were one station with lots of platform sets, so you can only pick the ones relevant, not any you like.

Last edited:

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
If Clapham Junction to Euston is allowed via Willesden, then by extension would that mean a ticket from a location on the West Coast Mainline to London Terminals be valid to Waterloo, Victoria et al via Willesden?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If Clapham Junction to Euston is allowed via Willesden, then by extension would that mean a ticket from a location on the West Coast Mainline to London Terminals be valid to Waterloo, Victoria et al via Willesden?
Birmingham etc to London has long-standing validity into Waterloo, via Reading!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Status
Not open for further replies.