• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Woking to Pangbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

soil

Established Member
Anyone able to come up with a good route for the above (to Beale Park RG8 9NH). I will bringing my bike and will cycle parts of the route as appropriate to expedite things rather than spend hours going all around the houses on multiple trains.

Would prefer to avoid steps/lifts (my bike won't fit unless it's a very large lift) but it's not completely essential.

Woking - Basingstoke-Reading and then cycling from Reading is an option, but the Basingstoke train goes from platform 4 at Woking, which is stairs, and then a platform change at Basingstoke, which is more stairs.

The Gatwick/Redhill-Reading route is slightly better
The train from Reading to Pangbourne leaves at :53 and :23
The train from Redhill leaves Guildford at :44 and :09, arriving Reading :19 and :54. I think neither train connects because of the platform change (4/5 to 9/10)
To Guildford from Woking is an easy cycle ride or a regular train from platform 5 (step free, although some go from platform 4, which isn't)

I'm not really keen on taking so many trains though.

Any improvements suggested? Ideally I would take ONE train and cycle about 10 miles. But not sure if that is possible.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Looks like cycling to Sunningdale then train to Reading (half-hourly,33 minutes), then change there for the train to Pangbourne (13 minutes to connect, 8 minute journey time) is the best option. £9.90 off-peak day return. Steps outbound at Pangbourne however.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

soil

Established Member
Made it to Pangbourne. Swt from sunningdale to reading much nicer than the mainline trains through woking.

Lifts at reading big enough for bike, although last minute platform change was annoying, and then the fgw train to oxford was just 3 coaches with no bike spot.

Any idea how this line is in the evening? If it's 3 carriages and crowded (I'll be coming back around 6:30) I'll just cycle all the way to Reading....

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So in the end I decided to ride back to Reading.

Then I caught the 20:12 from Reading. It was calling at Longcross, so I couldn't resist alighting there. Checked my phone which said it was accessible by so I thought it would be fine.

The guard blew his whistle as we were getting off then saw us. He was surprised, and said 'you want Longcross!?' Said yes, somewhat gesturing at my bike as if it was ridiculous to even ask.

Headed up the path from platform 1, and tried to figure out how to get onto the road that was surely on the other side. But it was Wentworth golf course. Rode around the fairways for a while but couldn't figure out how to exit.

So went back to the station and hauled the bike over the footbridge. Exited towards the lights. Oops, that's the military facility. So I followed the track along the perimeter instead. Eventually got onto a deadend road which led onto the main road.

Won't be going to be Longcross.

Status
Not open for further replies.