• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Woking to Waterloo via Staines/Hounslow

Status
Not open for further replies.

mind the gap

Hi,

Traveling to Waterloo tomorrow via Staines/Hounslow due to engineering work rather than direct up the Portsmouth main into waterloo.

I know it might not be he most exciting route but anyone know if there are any interesting sights to view out of the window?

Mind the gap.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hassaanhc

Established Member
Hi,

Traveling to Waterloo tomorrow via Staines/Hounslow due to engineering work rather than direct up the Portsmouth main into waterloo.

I know it might not be he most exciting route but anyone know if there are any interesting sights to view out of the window?

Mind the gap.

The bridge over the M25 between Chertsey and Virginia Water is impressive

3725293_a17c31bb.jpg

Image from http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3725293

And you actually pass over the M25 again between Egham and Staines!

You'll also cross the River Thames twice, first between Egham and Staines and again between Chiswick and Barnes Bridge (or between St Margarets and Richmond if you go that way).

CatfordCat

depends what classes as 'interesting'...

in terms of railway infrastructure, not many traces left of the large marshalling yards at Feltham.

Remains of the disused up direction flyover / line which allowed trains from Wimbledon to get on to the up Windsor line just east of Putney station (now single reversible track only on the down side)

Former London County Council tram depot at Wandsworth visible - north / up side of tracks, east of Wandsworth Town station - later a London Transport bus garage, today used by the Original London Sightseeing Tour.

mind the gap

Thankyou both for the replies

Forgot to post that any point of interest would be appreciated.

Transport related for me and anything which might keep my "small person" :) occupied gazing out of the window.

Last edited:

James Wake

There is also the bridge over the Thames at Staines that is quite nice, also to the left immediately after Feltham Station is Feltham Power Signal Box.

Status
Not open for further replies.