• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wolverhampton - Newquay

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvboy

Established Member
Hi all
Looking for some fares advice please

Wolverhampton - Newquay
Sat 26 May departing in the morning

Newquay - Wolverhampton
Fri 1 June departing in the afternoon

I don't mind changes.

At the moment I see advances for £28 on a direct train out departing 8:18, and return for £37 only on one train through the 17:22 arriving 01:03.

The return journey is a little too late for my liking however anything before it and I'm looking at a £140.30 Off Peak Return.

So if anyone can come up with any suggestion to beat £65 and travel back earlier I'd be grateful. I'll be booking it Friday evening.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lemonic

I know it's not the trains you wanted, but you can save £10 coming back by splitting at Bristol Temple Meads even though it's the same trains.
Newquay 17:22 - Bristol 21:47 £12
Bristol 22:00 - Wolverhampton 01:03 £15
£27 single coming back

dvboy

Established Member
I know it's not the trains you wanted, but you can save £10 coming back by splitting at Bristol Temple Meads even though it's the same trains.
Newquay 17:22 - Bristol 21:47 £12
Bristol 22:00 - Wolverhampton 01:03 £15
£27 single coming back

That's helpful, thanks :)

OwlMan

Established Member
A freedom of the South West 3 in 7 rover covers you from Worcester. If you want to get about Cornwall while you are there there will be a free day's travel left.

FOSW 3 in 7 £74.00
Wolves - Worcester SVR £14.10 Total £88.10

Peter

Last edited:

jkdd77

A freedom of the South West 4 in 8 rover covers you from Worcester. If you want to get about Cornwall while you are there there will be two free days travel left.

FOSW 4 in 8 £74.00
Wolves - Worcester SVR £14.10 Total £88.10

Peter

I think that FOSW rover ticket is only valid for 3 in 7 days, although it would still be suitable for the OP's purposes.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Isn't the FOSW valid from Cheltenham, or would Worcester still be cheaper (bearing in ming I suspect the former is priced by XC and the latter by LM)?

sonic2009

Established Member
During the Time the OP wishes to travel London Midland will have the 50% Rail Sale on, so the Wolverhampton to Worcester SVR will be come £7.05. (as long as he books through London Midland)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
During the Time the OP wishes to travel London Midland will have the 50% Rail Sale on, so the Wolverhampton to Worcester SVR will be come £7.05. (as long as he books through London Midland)

Ah, I forgot that :oops:

Worcester is about half the price of Cheltenham.

Thanks - wasn't able to check as NFM11 isn't on the laptop I'm using at the moment :) Also had a total geography memory wipe whilst I was typing that, I forgot Cheltenham was further from Brum than Worcester.

dvboy

Established Member

Is Bhm-Worcester any cheaper? As I have my season ticket.

SS4

Established Member
Is Bhm-Worcester any cheaper? As I have my season ticket.

May as well split at Stourbridge Junction if that's the case although you would have to travel on the Snow Hill line instead of the faster line
edit: not worth the price difference

Alternatively you could split at University if your train goes that way

BHM - WOS = £13.90 for a SVR
UNI - WOS = £13.20 SVR
SBJ - WOS = £11.60 (2xSDR)

Last edited:

dvboy

Established Member
Looking again now the £37 advance on the return has disappeared from Wolves but it's there from Birmingham. Splitting at Bristol TM seemed to be the best option. We will have a car in Newquay so no need for the 3 in 7.

I was going to book through to Wolves on the way back just in case there was a delay on the Bristol-Birmingham XC service so I'd be covered but an advance to Wolves isn't there, however we are due to arrive at 23:44 and there are trains to Wolves at 00:35 and 01:42 so I should be OK.

It has made me think, though, if splitting with my season ticket and I was delayed on a service such that I missed the last train from Birmingham to Wolves, for example on a Saturday or Sunday when it's earlier, does anyone have a responsibility to still get me to Wolves though my ticket was only to Birmingham?

Last edited:

John @ home

Established Member
if splitting with my season ticket and I was delayed on a service such that I missed the last train from Birmingham to Wolves, for example on a Saturday or Sunday when it's earlier, does anyone have a responsibility to still get me to Wolves though my ticket was only to Birmingham?
Yes. "You may use two or more tickets for one journey" in accordance with National Rail Conditions of Carriage Condition 19. The benefits in Section H of NRCoC and in train companies' Passenger Charters apply to the combined journey if you have complied with Condition 19 and allowed not less than the minimum connection time at each station where you change trains. For Birmingham New Street this is 12 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.