• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wolverhampton to Birmingham return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

Hi, trying to get a return for my sister from Wolverhampton to Birmingham, an open return doesn't seem to be available? Virgin and London Midland's websites only seem to be giving me singles each way (or a day return).

Cheapest (not virgin-only) I can find is two singles which comes to £8.40, which seems way too high for this journey.

(Specifically, travelling outwards today off peak, returning any other day off peak, any operator)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
What time are you looking to travel? Any Railcards?

£8.40 is infact a correct price. No Off Peak Returns exist for the journey you wish to make, So 2 x Anytime Singles will be the cheapest possible. Unless you wish to travel Virgin Trains only or After 6pm.

Alternative could be the Midland Metro from Wolverhampton St Georges to Birmingham Snow Hill, this journey will need 2 x Single fares at £3.30 each, so this will cost £6.60

Last edited:

If you travel after 9.30 Mon-Fri you can pick up a day tripped ticket for £5.80 for use on all buses, trains and midland metro. Wolverhampton to Birmingham metro day return is £5.00. Hopes this helps.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I mean day tripper.....predictive text on phone....sorry!!!

sonic2009

Established Member
If you travel after 9.30 Mon-Fri you can pick up a day tripped ticket for £5.80 for use on all buses, trains and midland metro. Wolverhampton to Birmingham metro day return is £5.00. Hopes this helps.

welcome to the forum 45041. Good advice if the OP wished to return on the same day. The OP asked for an Off Peak Return which means he wishes to come back another day :)

SS4

Established Member

That doesn't really help the OP though since their sister only wants to make one journey and will be coming back a different day. If they wanted to combine it with the bus in each direction [ie to the station] then two daytrippers would be (just) cheaper.

As sonic said there are only day returns available on this flow. Period returns exist to Coventry but are more expensive than two singles

welcome to the forum 45041. Good advice if the OP wished to return on the same day. The OP asked for an Off Peak Return which means he wishes to come back another day :)

Oops lol misread the post....must learn to read properly!!!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi, trying to get a return for my sister from Wolverhampton to Birmingham, an open return doesn't seem to be available? Virgin and London Midland's websites only seem to be giving me singles each way (or a day return).
People are going to get confused, so I'd better give an explanation at this point!

I advise against the use of the term "open return" because there used to be a ticket type Standard/First Open Return (SOR/FOR). This type no longer exists by that name, though the SOR/FOR codes remain. Now known as Anytime. So the ticket you are asking for, if you are using the old ticket names, is now an Anytime Return (SOR). However that is not available for this particular flow, so singles will need to be purchased instead (I'll come to that later).

However some people use the term "open return" to mean any ticket that does not tie you to a specific train, in other words, any non-Advance ticket is seen as "open", and that includes tickets that are only valid for one day and tickets that have restrictions. So, under this definition, an Off Peak Day Return (CDR; formerly Cheap Day Return) is an "open return", but this ticket is a far cry from an SOR!

In this case, I can figure out that you are referring to the old ticket type, but many people will be confused when the term "open return" is used.

The confusion appears to have been started by Thetrainline who used the term "open return" on their website as an option to leave the return journey blank to obtain a non-Advance ticket. This lead was then followed by other booking sites.

The single tickets that are available on this flow, which can be matched to provide a return journey on a different day are as follows:

Route: Any Permitted
EGS Super Off Peak Day Single £2.00 (Valid from 1830 Mondays-Sundays onwards
SDS Anytime Day Single £4.20 (No restriction applies)
FDS Anytime Day 1st Single £6.30 (No restriction applies)

Route: Virgin Trnsonly
SDS Anytime Day Single £3.10 (No restriction applies)
FDS Anytime Day 1st Single £4.60 (No restriction applies)

For example a passenger travelling outward around 1835 in Std class on XC, and returning the next day at 0830 on Virgin in 1st class, would pay £6.60 in total.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, all the singles I listed are additionally available as Day returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.