• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wolverhampton to Halifax (new) valid routes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan71

I regularly make this journey, usually via Manchester Picc & Vic with a walk inbetween the two

The new Northern Connect Chester to Leeds service starting soon gives me another option:

Wolverhampton - Warrington Bank Quay, then Warrington Bank Quay - Halifax

The connections work well too.

I can't get Journey Planners to offer me this route so far, plus I don't think it's a Mapped Route either.

Do you think they'll amend this in due course to open up this route?

I checked Stafford/Crewe - Halifax too and neither of those looked currently valid that way either

thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
It's definitely going to be the best way from Wolverhampton to Halifax on a frequent basis, and it's bananas that it's somehow not permitted.

Do you want to get the route added as a mapped route for Wolverhampton to Halifax? Or do you want to be able to use a through ticket to travel that way? Or do you want to travel that way at the best value for money?

If you want to get the route added as a mapped route, that could be difficult officially (although it may be picked up now that it has been posted here, but for positive changes I would not hold your breath). You could try writing to CrossCountry, who manage the fare, or to Virgin Trains or Northern, whose train services you would be making use of. If you want real success you may need to try all three. You could also try polite emails to [email protected] and [email protected] but I doubt those mailboxes would be read by people who understood the nature of your request. If you are serious about this the only real thing you can do that has a reasonable shot of success is to write to your MP. Ask them politely to get in touch with RDG and the train companies to request this route is added. Letters received on House of Commons stationery are likely to be read and responded to in a mature way, although often not in a timely one! Give your MP as full details as possible, as their staff might not have come across this sort of case before. You will want to mention that the route Manchester ticket is the one you intend to use for your journey via Warrington Bank Quay.

If you want to buy a ticket and just go that way, you could try the booking office at your station (or any station). Download the National Rail Enquiries app and put in Wolverhampton to Halifax. It suggests one change at Warrington Bank Quay by default. If you show the app to the ticket office staff and say you'd like to make that journey, and ask them to provide a suitable ticket, they will probably sell you the through ticket. You are then permitted to use it that way regardless of anything else. Many ticket office staff are happy to ignore the routing guide in the face of common sense. Many don't even know it exists. You can specify to them that you want to make a journey with no more than one change. If you pop into the ticket office before the day of travel, they can probably provide you with a seat reservation between Wolverhampton and Warrington Bank Quay which you might find useful.

If you want a cheaper way to make the same journey on the same trains changing in Warrington, I recommend raileasy.trainsplit.com put it in and see what you get.

PS the above represents some answers to your implicit questions, and I hope some reasonably practical advice, but one other thing you can do now but may not be able to in future is just use an online journey planner that has low accuracy e.g. https://ticketsbeta.c2c-online.co.uk will actually let you do this journey via Warrington Bank Quay with a through ticket, so you could just book it there and then you are sorted. Of course this might get fixed at any time!

Last edited:

alan71

Useful info, thank you.

I've emailed Northern already, I'll see what Virgin & XC say too.

I'm up there next week anyway, I'll ask in the ticket office in HFX to see what they suggest

I'll try the c2c site - not one I usually use.

thanks again

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
It's worth noting that if you get a ticket to Low Moor, this costs the same as a ticket to Halifax (it's in the same "flow"), but it permits you to travel on all permitted routes from Wolverhampton to Bradford as well as Wolverhampton to Halifax - this includes via Warrington. In fact, if you buy a ticket from Bilbrook to Low Moor (again, the same flow and hence price) you get the most flexibility of all, with the added ability to use permitted routes from Shrewsbury to Halifax or Bradford.

JB_B

Established Member
It's worth noting that if you get a ticket to Low Moor, this costs the same as a ticket to Halifax (it's in the same "flow"), but it permits you to travel on all permitted routes from Wolverhampton to Bradford as well as Wolverhampton to Halifax - this includes via Warrington. In fact, if you buy a ticket from Bilbrook to Low Moor (again, the same flow and hence price) you get the most flexibility of all, with the added ability to use permitted routes from Shrewsbury to Halifax or Bradford.

I can see there's a Warrington - Manchester link on TM+MN (heading to Bradford Group) but I think the Chester-Leeds Northern Connect goes via Earlestown - I don't think there's currently a mapped route via Earlestown group?

alan71

Thanks - I can get that one to give me the route & services I’m after

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Thanks - I can get that one to give me the route & services I’m after
No problem. Of course, like most Off-Peak tickets, there are no break of journey restrictions so you're perfectly entitled to start your journey at Wolverhampton and finish it at Halifax.

A Challenge

Established Member
No problem. Of course, like most Off-Peak tickets, there are no break of journey restrictions so you're perfectly entitled to start your journey at Wolverhampton and finish it at Halifax.
You can't go Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury on a ticket from Bilbrook though, to note for your suggestion of going via Shrewsbury.

Status
Not open for further replies.