• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Woman And Baby Die after being run over by train at Southall

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeholmes

News in very sketchy about this but but aparantly a woman and here baby jumped on line in front of an oncoming HEX.

I am horrified to hear this, and if anyone has any more news on please let us know.

My thoughts and condolenses are with the driver and the vitims family

Regards
J.Holmes

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Met Driver

Established Member
My thoughts go out to the driver and the victims' family, however I find the fact that the woman took her kids with her pretty sick. I can't think of any reason which could possibly justify the mother's actions. If she wanted to commit suicide, fair enough, but to take your kids with you? The mind boggles...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Absolutely awful thing to do, I feel sorry for the driver and the relatives of all those involved.

Why do people do this? it is sickening. :(

Jordy

Established Member
How really awful - It really makes you wonder what is going through these peoples minds, particularly if they kill their children as well.

Thoughts to Driver and families etc

Jordy

T

Tom

Right

I was caught up in this earlier...

There were 2 fatality incidents (one causing a massive possession jsut outside Paddington).

The HEX Southall incident was very sad... as I was on the train before the HEX. (I was just outside the station, you could hear the screams). :(

The Paddington incident was again a fatality, which didn't cause much trouble BUT there was a massive possession to replace some track. Hence, why I am back late (but I still got mah HST thrash!)

richa2002

Established Member
My thoughts go out to the driver and the relatives. The post title says the train ran her over like it was an accident. Maybe saying they committed suicide would have been better. The title makes it sound like it was the train's fault.

Oh dear, I'm moaning again. :(

Ben

i feel sorry for the baby driver and relatives thats all its just sick to take your children with you

Jim

Established Member
I may get kicked out from the forum for this but Mods, please remove it if it needs to go:

Rant mode

Does anybody know what it does to a driver to have this happen to them. Hex have just lost a driver. Most drivers are so shocked when this happens, they don't drive again. DON'T WORRY, I FEEL SORRY FOR THE BABY. It is sick when people EVEN PRETEND to do this. It makes drivers so nervous, most of them won't drive once it has happened. At the end of the day, I don't feel sorry for the mother. If she knew what it does to the driver, she wouldn't of done it. I am not trying to say she is stupid. Kill yourself if you wish - It is your life BUT DON'T RUIN OTHER PEOPLE'S LIFES AS WELL

rant over

Rant over

ChrisCooper

Established Member
It shouldn't be forgotten about the other victimes of horrible incidents like this. Firstly there are passengers and station staff who get a brilliant view of exactly what happens, and often having blood and body parts splattered around them. Some might find it difficult to travel by train again, and others staff might have to leave there jobs because of it. Also the police and ambulance staff who have to pick up the pieces, and it is pieces. Network Rail staff will have to be involved in the whole lot, both to supervise the events, and to make sure no infrastructure has been damaged, with the added responsibility of trying to push all parties involved to get the line open as quick as possible. Engineering staff will also have to check the train to make sure it has not suffered any damage, and will also often find bits lodged underneath, and eventually it will be handed over to the cleaners to get rid of any remaining blood etc. Finally their are those who are on the train, who probably won't have seen much, but will have a good idea what just happened, and plenty of time to think about it whilst waiting to move.
I'm not saying that we shouldn't feel sorry for the driver, far from it what they went through must be terrible, but just remember he (or she) isn't the only one who will probably have awful images in there mind for a hell of a long time, and might not be the only one who can't work again.
One thing to remember, the driver can at least take some comfort in the fact that there was little they could do to prevent it. Those on the platform have far more cause for wondering if they could have done anything, even if in reality there was likely no more that they could have done.
Sorry for such a long post, but this is something I tend to get a little annoyed about since I have a friend who was quite badly tramatised after seeing someone throw themselves under a HST at 100mph, so I know what it would have been like. I also have personal experiance of being a passenger on a train that was involved in a suicide. Also, I know someone who ran over and killed someone whilst driving a bus. Although it wasn't his fault really (the old woman was being rarther stupid), he knew very well that one extra check of the left side before pulling away might have saved her life (he was pulling away from a layby, waiting for a gap in the traffic, and she went to bang on the door, but as he pulled off she lost balance and ended up under the front wheel).

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I feel deeply saddened by this. It's terrible that she could kill her children, who had their whole lives ahead of them :(

I also feel very sorry for the driver too - this must be an appalling thing to happen to anybody, and it must take a great deal of recovery.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
ChrisCooper said:
I also have personal experiance of being a passenger on a train that was involved in a suicide.
I nearly did, missing the ill-fated 2007 fast WAGN to Peterborough by about 30 seconds after a forum meet last year. It hit 2 people commiting suicide at 100mph through Arlesey station. I got the following 2021 semi-fast as far as Hitchin where it terminated. I then spent a very long time at Stevenage, eventually boarding an HST that was 2 1/2 hours late.

That day thousands of people, hundreds of railway staff got home very late, in addition to all the problems you described above (multiplied by 2 for 2 people).

I think that if someone deliberately carries out such an act then anything in their will should go towards paying to clear up the mess, the overtime, the cost of counselling, and towards paying for a campaign to reduce such suicides. Of course, that'll never happen.

Sprog

Established Member
Sympathys to family and the driver.

I fail to see how the 'mother' could've done such an awfull thing... :( :( :(

Status
Not open for further replies.