• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Woman drops phone at Aldgate East causing delays on London Underground sub-surface lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainmania100

Established Member
http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/18/women...our-tube-lines-rush-hour-7241288/?ito=cbshare
Footage posted on Instagram shows the women running through the tunnels at Aldgate East station in east London.
Another video, posted from the same account but now deleted, appeared to show one of the women arguing with the station workers, jumping onto the track, and then storming into the tunnel angrily.

It’s claimed that one of the women dropped her phone on the tracks and, when the station workers refused to retrieve it, she went to get it herself.

As a result of the incident on Thursday evening, the Metropolitan Line, Circle Line, District Line and Hammersmith & City Lines all experienced severe delays. Aldgate East station – which is between both the busy financial district and one of east London’s cultural centres – was also briefly closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
Hope she was arrested for trespassing, especially considering staff specifically told her not to try to retrieve it.

westv

Established Member
This affected me yesterday. Just curious to know why the Met was affected too.

I also do wonder why some people stand so close to the edge of the platform that their phone could end up on the track if they drop it.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Madness. Actually, the final lines from the Italian Job (original version, obviously) about sum it up, with expletive included.

philthetube

Established Member
This affected me yesterday. Just curious to know why the Met was affected too.

I also do wonder why some people stand so close to the edge of the platform that their phone could end up on the track if they drop it.
Even with power on as soon as trains block back to Liverpool st. the Met to Aldgate is blocked.

whhistle

On Moderation
Interesting in that national network delays are down to Network Rail and not keeping "the people" out. But LU wash their hands of it.

Surely they *could* be within LUs control if they used platform screen doors like on the Jubilee line. Yes, lots of cost but then I'd expect zero incidents like this?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Interesting in that national network delays are down to Network Rail and not keeping "the people" out. But LU wash their hands of it.

Surely they *could* be within LUs control if they used platform screen doors like on the Jubilee line. Yes, lots of cost but then I'd expect zero incidents like this?
Whilst on the Mainline, trespass delays are usually (but not always) attributed to Network Rail, it is not always the case that a Toc will pay customer compensation for a delay, it is only those (which to be fair, is now the overwhelming majority) that operate a Delay repay scheme. If you are travelling on GWR, for instance, they deem it outwith their control, and don’t grant compensation.

philthetube

Established Member

Except that you cannot use platform edge doors where different stocks operate, or on curved platforms, ruling out a high percentage of stations.

philthetube

Established Member
I have not travelled on the Paris underground so cannot comment on that, however I could not envisage doors on platforms such as Bank on the central line, if someone fell down the gap and the doors closed they would be invisible to both driver and platform staff.

JaJaWa

Established Member
Paris certainly has half-height doors on curved platforms
We have those in Hong Kong and the warning signs suggest that people still manage to drop things over them (and put bags on top!).

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Am wondering if the use of the TRD has led to an increase in passengers retrieving stuff from the track. Passengers see staff picking things up from the track and end up thinking if they can do it then so can we.

GW43125

Established Member
Am wondering if the use of the TRD has led to an increase in passengers retrieving stuff from the track. Passengers see staff picking things up from the track and end up thinking if they can do it then so can we.

What's a TRD, sorry?

Lrd

Established Member
What's a TRD, sorry?
A long pole with a sticky pad on the end to pick things up off the track.

I once saw a CSA use one to pick up a phone, which then fell off back onto the track, he picked up again for it to only drop off again. He finally got it on the third try and the customer wasn't best pleased.

AM9

Veteran Member
A long pole with a sticky pad on the end to pick things up off the track.

I once saw a CSA use one to pick up a phone, which then fell off back onto the track, he picked up again for it to only drop off again. He finally got it on the third try and the customer wasn't best pleased.

They can fix that forever by not dropping their phone in the first place. :)

theageofthetra

On Moderation
We have those in Hong Kong and the warning signs suggest that people still manage to drop things over them (and put bags on top!).
Yes have seen that. Including leaning over them to be sick after the HK Sevens!

Status
Not open for further replies.