• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Woman sexually assaulted on Highland Chieftain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Again no need to be patronising; I can express opinions without evidence and if that irks/bothers people they can challenge me without further need to be priggish.
I've always been taught to challenge the evidence, not the man. Oh, wait, you don't have any.

So it's probably best to ignore you. It really is that simple, Badger89

Antman

Established Member
It's my fault as I started the thread, wish I hadn't, at the end of the day this is some bloke who as tried raping this poor women, he needs to be cought as the next step with a pervert is far serious.

Did he? Did you witness what happened? If not you really are jumping to ridiculous conclusions

jon0844

Veteran Member
There's several pieces of CCTV footage that show what has become known as the "bystander effect".

One particular that I recall is a shop that has been set on fire due to arson, the customers just stand in the queue doing nothing while the place fills with smoke and fire. Once one person decides to say something, the others do too.

It's also called social conformity.

I was in a McDonald's which had a small fire starting behind the fries.. and nobody did anything even though it was clear the fire wasn't going to put itself out (it was at the back, visible at floor level). Staff just looked on, and it was myself that said it was probably a good idea to get people out. They ignored me, until the fire started to get worse and became visible as it started to rise up the back wall - and only then someone decided it was time to go.

It was quite amazing that because staff did nothing (certainly nobody tried to put it out), everyone in the restaurant was happy to stand and continue waiting for their food (or eating their food at their tables).

The fire brigade turned up and got everyone out and away from the building, without messing around.

I'd say that's a good example of the bystander effect.

To this day I am amazed that staff did so little (perhaps having insufficient training - but I suspect a few words were said by the firemen) but not that people acted like sheep and didn't want to be the first person to get up and leave.

Last edited:

Established Member
Just for clarity,
If you read the reports... he did no more than glance in their direction, he did not intervene.
BRblue is quite right and apologies for providing a misleading earlier post on the subject of the terrible Oxenholme case. I HAD read one report of many found online, but it was an inaccurate one in the Mail...

Master29

Established Member
presumably they also reject the existence of HSTs.

Really. I thought it odd Class 50`s and 52`s had got faster with one each end and had at least 2 re engining makeovers on the Great Western this last 35 odd years.

w0033944

There's several pieces of CCTV footage that show what has become known as the "bystander effect".

One particular that I recall is a shop that has been set on fire due to arson, the customers just stand in the queue doing nothing while the place fills with smoke and fire. Once one person decides to say something, the others do too.

It's also called social conformity.

I recall seeing the same footage. It was the first time I heard of 'bystander effect' and I was stunned.

pemma

Veteran Member
I used to witness people crowding around whilst crimes were committed and their reasons were different for not intervening

How do you know? Did you interview all of them?

Back on topic, we will need to wait until more information is released before jumping to conclusions as to why noone helped the poor victim. Possible options:

- The assaults were carried out where noone else could see (vestibule, toilet?)
- Some people could have seen the assaults but were asleep/head down over iPad/admiring the scenery outside
- Some people did see the assaults but mistook what was happening for an amorous couple
- Some people saw and were aware of exactly what was happening but chose not to intervene as per our beloved Bystander Effect.

Personally I fear the latter is most likely but that is only my opinion.

najaB

Veteran Member
Back on topic, we will need to wait until more information is released before jumping to conclusions as to why noone helped the poor victim. Possible options:

- The assaults were carried out where noone else could see (vestibule, toilet?)
- Some people could have seen the assaults but were asleep/head down over iPad/admiring the scenery outside
- Some people did see the assaults but mistook what was happening for an amorous couple
- Some people saw and were aware of exactly what was happening but chose not to intervene as per our beloved Bystander Effect.

Personally I fear the latter is most likely but that is only my opinion.
I suspect a mix of the latter two.

455driver

Veteran Member
It's my fault as I started the thread, wish I hadn't, at the end of the day this is some bloke who as tried raping this poor women, he needs to be cought as the next step with a pervert is far serious.

So its an attempted rape is it?
I thought it was a sexual assault which can be just touching somebody inappropriately by 'accidently' brushing against them, not that I am trying to excuse what this man has done, but trying to keep things in perspectve!

bnm

Established Member
Yes I'm sorry this thread has gone off topic.

If you'd bowed out when you said you would then there would have been a chance for the thread to get back on topic.

For the record your opinion on 'litigation fear' counts for nothing without the same standard of empirical evidence as that available for the 'bystander effect'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.