• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wood Lane WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voyager 2093

As some of you may know me and some of the guys at Oovee Simulation have been working on a fictional DMU Line based in North West England. It starts of as a single track line then transforms into a mainline. Here are some screenshots to show our progress.

Attachments

• Wood Lane Motorway.JPG
    Wood Lane Motorway.JPG
    348.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 66 Meets 66.jpg
    66 Meets 66.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Freight Line.jpg
    Freight Line.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Bowden Hill.jpg
    Bowden Hill.jpg
    454.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 170 arrives at Bowden Hill.jpg
    170 arrives at Bowden Hill.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 47
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Ooh la la, looks pretty impressive!!! but can I ask, please can you add one of them warning systems that some routes have, that warn you when you are coming up to station you need to stop at, and speed limit changes etc...

doesn't that sort of defeat the object?

fgwrich

Established Member
naaa it just makes is possible to do it with out passing thru a station at 70mph and thinking "uh oh, i was meant to stop there" or travelling at 90mph and with out any warning the limit drops to 40mph!

But then it takes away part of the whole realism with BVE...Sure you could have that like MSTS...But is that realistic? i think not...

16CSVT2700

Established Member

Tom B

Established Member
I can see both sides of the argument as it is "realistic" to not have informative signs - but it's also realistic for a driver to have gone over the route many times before, have route diagrams, sat an exam or whatnot.

MCR247

Established Member
Well it don't bother me, for me it just takes away the fun if your doing things wrong every 10secs and end up with a 'abysmal' score...

But, if you check the time (ie 0931) and the timetable says you stop at a station at 0932 and you see a station in the distance, then its that station

eezypeazy

Surely this is one of the reasons why the major TOCs use simulators? Don't they enable drivers to experience some of the major features of a route without having to be on it?

And even if you're driving it as a game, surely the challenge must be to learn the route and drive it accordingly?

(Personally, I always have difficulty with the intermediate stations on the NWM Salford Bridge loop - although I'm trying to learn the route, some of the stations are well hidden and (from memory) I think one is on a downward gradient which makes stopping that bit more difficult.)

Regards

eezypeazy

royaloak

Established Member
today I will mostly be at home decorating
Surely this is one of the reasons why the major TOCs use simulators? Don't they enable drivers to experience some of the major features of a route without having to be on it?
Simulators use a fictitious route, not a proper route.
Not forgotten at all, they are only used when the speed reduction is above a certain amount (1/3 of current line speed IIRC)

And then not always, it all comes down to learning the route, properly.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Simulators use a fictitious route, not a proper route.

And then not always, it all comes down to learning the route, properly.

LM simulator has a full 350/2 cab, and the route is New Street - Northampton. I'm not sure if it runs further south than that or has other routes available.

Tom B

Established Member
Presumably a fictional route permits training on a wider variety of features than would be possible on a realistic one - incorporating all sorts of features in a shorter route. I would imagine there are also issues regarding ensuring a simulated route based on the real thing is exactly correct.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
naaa it just makes is possible to do it with out passing thru a station at 70mph and thinking "uh oh, i was meant to stop there" or travelling at 90mph and with out any warning the limit drops to 40mph!

that is why you route-learn it...

Status
Not open for further replies.