Wood Street Loud Speaker - this morning

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by FartinLewis, 27 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FartinLewis

FartinLewis Member

Waiting at Wood Street for the 8.50am train to Liverpool Street this morning, there was a bizarre situation with the PAs on the platform. A one sided conversation was blaring out, some well spoken gent was ranting about someone who sneaked a bike onto a Peak service, and then accused him of being all sorts when challenged, a 'very unpleasant individual' the guy said.

Now you could only hear one side of the conversation, there were silent pauses when I'm guessing the other person was replying. How could this have happened, is it relatively common?

Thanks
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Just seen on Twitter I'm not the only one that heard it!

David Perry ‏@DavidTJPerry 3h3 hours ago
    Can I Just say @LDNOverground the PA system at Wood Street Station is constantly on and there is an entire meeting going on. Haha

David Perry ‏@DavidTJPerry 3h3 hours ago
    @LDNOverground which everyone can hear! They seem to be discussing something where they don't want to be criticised....

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. 47271

47271 Established Member

This reminds me of a funny situation I had a month or so ago when I was waiting at unstaffed station in Scotland.

A phone rang, but it wasn't a mobile. I realised that the sound was coming from the Help Point, so I went over and answered it.

The person at the other end (also well spoken, maybe it was the same man stalking the network) said hello and asked me who I was. I said that I was a passenger waiting for a train and asked if he was also passenger. No he said. I asked if he was a railway official. No he said. I asked if he was a wrong number. Yes he said, and hung up.

It made me wonder what phone network Help Points are on? I assumed a railway one, but it sounded like this was just some local posh bloke?

4. FartinLewis

FartinLewis Member

Very strange indeed maybe it is the infamous 'well spoken posh rail phone system hacker' up to his old tricks again!

Oh well, it certainly put a smile on mine and my fellow passengers face on a gloomy Thursday morning! :lol:

5. causton

causton Established Member

From being in another ticket office, I did see the normal landline number of a Help Point at a station (as the number was written on the phone socket!) so I can guess these are just connected to the standard phone network and have a number like any other phone!

6. FartinLewis

FartinLewis Member

Very interesting! Seems like that could be a way to cause panic if a wrong'un got hold of the number! Surprised they don't use a private network for that kind of stuff.

7. Bungle965

Bungle965 Established Member

This sounds like something out of some spy movie, where you need to get in touch with someone without any one else knowing and what a better place than in a (presumably) remote location in Scotland.:D
    Sam

8. causton

causton Established Member

Apparently they get PPI calls as well! I am sure they are not in the directory though :lol: only way to find out must just be to dial every number starting at 000001 and ending at 999999 in a dialling area!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.