• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Woodcroft Level Crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.

pt_mad

Established Member
Are there any half decent places to view trains on the stretch of the ECML between outer Peterborough and Woodcroft Crossing/Etton? (The bit where the Leicester - Peterborough line runs alongside).

Also does anyone know whether the XC trains on the Stansted route ever go on the ECML slow lines on that part rather than on the seperate side lines?

Likewise do East Coast trains ever use the two side lines rather than the fast lines?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
The formation at Woodcroft is (from the west) Down Slow/Down Stamford, Up Stamford (both on the former Midland side), then Down Fast, Up Fast, Up Slow.
Also does anyone know whether the XC trains on the Stansted route ever go on the ECML slow lines on that part rather than on the seperate side lines?
No route between Stamford and any of the Down Fast, Up Fast or Up Slow between Helpston and New England North - so no, not unless they're diverted via Grantham and Nottingham.
Likewise do East Coast trains ever use the two side lines rather than the fast lines?
They could use the Down Slow or the Up Slow - not the Up Stamford though. I think it happens occasionally, but not sure if anything's booked to go that way.

pt_mad

Established Member
The formation at Woodcroft is (from the west) Down Slow/Down Stamford, Up Stamford (both on the former Midland side), then Down Fast, Up Fast, Up Slow.

No route between Stamford and any of the Down Fast, Up Fast or Up Slow between Helpston and New England North - so no, not unless they're diverted via Grantham and Nottingham.

They could use the Down Slow or the Up Slow - not the Up Stamford though. I think it happens occasionally, but not sure if anything's booked to go that way.

Ahh right thanks. I remember the first time I travelled East on XC and we reached the part alongside the ECML. Was great with the 225s whizzing past.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Are there any half decent places to view trains on the stretch of the ECML between outer Peterborough and Woodcroft Crossing/Etton? (The bit where the Leicester - Peterborough line runs alongside).

Thanks

No good places around there then?

GNER 91128

Thanks

What do you mean by outer Peterborough?

NIMBUS

The footbridge at the old Walton level crossing (Marholm Road) is a location that I've used on many occasions since it was erected in the early 1970s:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=516957&Y=302133&A=Y&Z=120

or further out is the old crossing at David's Lane:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=515452&Y=303568&A=Y&Z=120

There used to be a good spot at the Etton Waterworks site at the bottom end of Waterworks Lane (just to the south of Woodcroft crossing) but in recent years the water company have put a lot of hardware close to the railway line. I haven't been there for many years (we had friends who lived in the house by the line, so visiting them was always a good excuse to watch the trains going by) but it has looked more industrial when I've passed on the ECML in recent years.

GNER 91128

The footbridge a hurn road would be a good option, can see all the lines you want plus the Spalding branch at werringtion junction.

Also if you're traveling by train to Peterborough, just walk across to the bus station and get a Delaine bus, it will get you relatively close to the sites mentioned.

Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member
The footbridge at the old Walton level crossing (Marholm Road) is a location that I've used on many occasions since it was erected in the early 1970s:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=516957&Y=302133&A=Y&Z=120

or further out is the old crossing at David's Lane:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=515452&Y=303568&A=Y&Z=120

There used to be a good spot at the Etton Waterworks site at the bottom end of Waterworks Lane (just to the south of Woodcroft crossing) but in recent years the water company have put a lot of hardware close to the railway line. I haven't been there for many years (we had friends who lived in the house by the line, so visiting them was always a good excuse to watch the trains going by) but it has looked more industrial when I've passed on the ECML in recent years.

That footbridge at the old Walton level crossing at Marholm Road isn't suitable for photography and hasn't been for a number of years, this is because of the amount of security fencing used on the bridge to stop vandals/trespassers.

You really want the next footbridge to the north which is only 2 or 3 minute walk from Dukesmead which offers better views.

Status
Not open for further replies.