Woodhead Class 76 (TS)

Inversnecky

I don’t know if it’s my driving, but does anyone else find that as soon as you put a Class 76 into notch one, there’s a bit of a jolt?

If this reflects the prototype, then passenger trains hauled by a 76 can’t have been the most comfortable! Vintage whiplash injuries?!

Was anyone here on a real 76 hauled passenger train back in the day?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
Is this the original Woodhead route, or the Woodhead in Blue version? I've got the original route and randomly remembered this thread earlier today, and so, after quite a bit of faffing, I got to the position where I could get the 76 moving. I couldn't get it to make a jolt, but that might have been because I was trying to do the seemingly-entirely-uphill route from Manchester to Sheffield with 10 Mk1s in tow. From the few old bits of film I've seen of 76s, they seemed to be quite smooth when starting off from a station. https://www.britishpathe.com/video/goodbye-to-steam-aka-railway-modernisation has a quick shot of a 76 (which the commentary incorrectly describes as a new diesel - something many have picked up on), and it seems to be moving off as normal?

-Peter

Inversnecky

Is this the original Woodhead route, or the Woodhead in Blue version? I've got the original route and randomly remembered this thread earlier today, and so, after quite a bit of faffing, I got to the position where I could get the 76 moving. I couldn't get it to make a jolt, but that might have been because I was trying to do the seemingly-entirely-uphill route from Manchester to Sheffield with 10 Mk1s in tow. From the few old bits of film I've seen of 76s, they seemed to be quite smooth when starting off from a station. https://www.britishpathe.com/video/goodbye-to-steam-aka-railway-modernisation has a quick shot of a 76 (which the commentary incorrectly describes as a new diesel - something many have picked up on), and it seems to be moving off as normal?

-Peter
The Woodhead Electric in Blue. I have the older one, but not tried it, will have a go tomorrow. As you say, it’s most likely an error.

hexagon789

Established Member
I don’t know if it’s my driving, but does anyone else find that as soon as you put a Class 76 into notch one, there’s a bit of a jolt?

If this reflects the prototype, then passenger trains hauled by a 76 can’t have been the most comfortable! Vintage whiplash injuries?!

Was anyone here on a real 76 hauled passenger train back in the day?
Sounds like typical default TS physics if I'm honest. If trains handled the way half of the default trains do in TS, half the passengers country would have for ever been suing BR and it's successors for whiplash injuries!

Trackman

Established Member
The Woodhead Electric in Blue. I have the older one, but not tried it, will have a go tomorrow. As you say, it’s most likely an error.
I've just tried it in the blue version with passenger stock and no jolt to report.
Seems to jerk more when light engine and with braking when LE.
Class 84's used to jerk on the first notch up I believe and with stock!

_toommm_

Established Member
Have you tried taking a notch of power before you release the brakes? As the brakes release, it may allow a smoother start.

_toommm_

Established Member
No I’ll try that.

I tried the black EM1 from the original Woodhead earlier, but it wasn’t much different.

Can't say I've driven the 76 even though I own the Woodhead in BR Blue route, but that's what I do with most locos