• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Woodhead Route cycle path. Any dc relics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kneedown

Established Member
Well with Mrs Kneedown in Ibiza with the girls, leaving me with a few days of peaceful bliss, i decided to take the old mountain bike and do a bit of the old Woodhead Route, which i'd never got around to doing before.
Parked up at Woodhead and had a blissful ride to Hadfield before returning and carrying on to Penistone, at which point the rain started, followed by the wind, a sudden gust of which put me into the kerb at Dunford Bridge (If anyone finds the skin from my kneecap could they please return it c/o EMT at Nottingham!) By this time i was soaked AND bloody, so a ride to the car back at Woodhead was in order. Even when i got to the downhill bit on the A628 i was getting almost blown backwards it was that windy!

Anyway, all along the route i was looking out for any old relics from the glory days. Apart from the obvious platforms and buildings, i found only a couple of rails in the trees just before Hadfield, a few signal cable supports at Millhouse Green, and rails in the road at the former two level crossings near Thurlstone.
It was nice to see these, but i was really hoping to find a discarded and forgotten mast somewhere in the, now prevalent trees, or some other relic of the lines electric heritage.
Does anyone who may be a little more familiar with the route than i, know if any such electrification relics are hidden away on the route still?

Anyway, it was a cracking day out even if i did sprain my wrist and skin my knee. I'd thoroughly recommend a ride along the route.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Johnuk123

Established Member
Were you planning on carrying an electrification mast back on your handlebars then ?

Kneedown

Established Member
Were you planning on carrying an electrification mast back on your handlebars then ?

Lol! No, a skinned knee and sprained wrist is quite enough injury for one day without tempting fate, thank you!
I just find old railway relics interesting, especially when long forgotten about and overgrown.

tbtc

Veteran Member
What's the Transpennine Trail like over to Penistone? Does it follow the busy road? (it doesn't go through the tunnel, AFAIK)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What's the Transpennine Trail like over to Penistone? Does it follow the busy road? (it doesn't go through the tunnel, AFAIK)
http://www.sustrans.org.uk/map?searchKey=penistone&searchType=search&Search=Find

It's along a bridleway and a road that isn't busy with a very good surface (but be careful to brake in time on the long downhill into Dunford Bridge!)

Several members of this forum do cycle rides along disused lines. Metrocammel, theblackwatch, Nick W, Mojo, Max and I did this route in April 2011 and some of us continued to Bolton on Dearn. I would recommend it.

Established Member
It's along a bridleway and a road that isn't busy with a very good surface (but be careful to brake in time on the long downhill into Dunford Bridge!)

You're telling me :cry:

48mph to zilch.... forgot it's a blind left hand bend at the bottom of there.

Brakes worked. May have almost caught fire :lol:

eastwestdivide

Established Member
I've been along much of the Yorkshire side and never noticed much in the way of relics. The odd bit of concrete mast base. Worth taking a look at the coal drops at Penistone.

Also, the section of cycle path through Wath, well you'd hardly believe it was even a railway, let alone a major marshalling yard.

How was the surface of the trail between Penistone/Dunford Bridge? Last time I was there it was a bit of a quagmire, even in summer.

Kneedown

Established Member
How was the surface of the trail between Penistone/Dunford Bridge? Last time I was there it was a bit of a quagmire, even in summer.

It had just started raining fairly heavily when reached that bit. It was a bit swampy in places but perfectly rideable. There were only a few boggy bits that couldnt be ridden around and those werent deep.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Status
Not open for further replies.