• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worcestershire Parkway station progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

takno

Established Member
Warndon as in the new housing estates on the east side, getting to which means Newtown Road or Tolladine Road. Canal doesn't go anywhere near them. It would have been a valid route "to Warndon" before those estates were built, when "Warndon" was basically an alias for "M5 J6", but still a heck of a long way round.

I never found it much use as a cycling route anyway - muddy soft surface which absorbs loads of energy and makes it really slow and difficult, and things that keep getting in the way. Fine if you're actually wanting to look at the canal, but for practical uses the roads are invariably less hassle.
Didn't they tarmac it a few years ago? I don't think Worcester is incredibly hilly. It's more that the town centre is at the very bottom with hills in every direction. Bath Road and London Road are tolerable just because there's a break in the middle, but my memory of Tolladine Road and Newtown Road is that they are constantly upward for flipping ages.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pigeon

They did some of it, but of course it still goes back to mud once it starts getting out of the city. It was all mud when I used to occasionally cycle on it.

jayah

On Moderation
Nope. Worcester has plenty of roads. It just needs to use them better.

Here's what happens if you provide infrastructure to allow people to travel safely along roads by bike and foot:

Drb1kY3XcAAgtKW.jpg

That's Amsterdam. 70% of all trips under 5km are made by foot, bike or public transport. For shorter distances it's greater still.

Worcester is only 5km radius at its greatest point (city centre to Warndon). It's a small city. If Worcester's roads were remotely bike-friendly then there need be no issue with congestion at all. Unfortunately, as tends to be the way when the highways authority is a Tory shire council, this isn't the case; there isn't even a safe way to cycle north-south across the city centre between the riverside path and the canal towpath. Such a missed opportunity.

(And since this thread seems to require parading Worcester bona fides, we moor our narrowboat in the city, at Diglis Basin; visit regularly, and have done so for 20 years.)

One of my main problems with the Parkway station is the unsustainable 97% modal share for private car / taxi and the fact no housing is going around it will only result in more and more car journeys and more and more car parking to serve it.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
So your argument isn't actually about the station at all, but the fact that people will be using cars to get to Parkway, or in fact any station. People want to do that because they have luggage, or infirmaties, or because they want to get there when public transport isn't available, or because public transport doesn't provide suitable access, or even because they want to!
Try getting a bus to Shrub Hill Station from Bamburgh Cres with 2 suitcases with ease; you can't!

See my response about the use of cars in Worcester in post #324.

Clayton

On Moderation
So your argument isn't actually about the station at all, but the fact that people will be using cars to get to Parkway, or in fact any station. People want to do that because they have luggage, or infirmaties, or because they want to get there when public transport isn't available, or because public transport doesn't provide suitable access, or even because they want to!
Try getting a bus to Shrub Hill Station from Bamburgh Cres with 2 suitcases with ease; you can't!

Yes parkway stations do involve car journeys, but without them people might drive the whole way rather than take a train at all. For places like Okehampton they would make a lot of sense, gathering custom from the surrounding countryside

Old Hill Bank

Yes parkway stations do involve car journeys, but without them people might drive the whole way rather than take a train at all. For places like Okehampton they would make a lot of sense, gathering custom from the surrounding countryside
Parkway stations are of value if lots of trains call at them, this one will see two thirds of the XC stuff passing through at speed, GW south west stuff bypassing and WMT going nowhere near it.

Llanigraham

On Moderation

At the present moment people are driving AWAY from Worcester to catch trains, such as to Pershore and even Warwick, or even not bothering to think about using the train at all. This station will keep those people on trains and in the locale.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Parkway stations are of value if lots of trains call at them, this one will see two thirds of the XC stuff passing through at speed, GW south west stuff bypassing and WMT going nowhere near it.
Only at the moment!
Do you know what the timetables are going to be next year?

jimm

Established Member
I think people in and around Worcester who would like to have a station where they have a decent shot at getting a parking space will probably find that the Parkway is of value. Or would you prefer that they carry on driving all the way to another Parkway - Warwick - to get a train? Something that a number of people from the Worcester area certainly do at the moment.

The GWR Gloucester services aren't going to 'bypass' the station. are they? That word would suggest there was some alternative route to the Norton to Abbotswood curve they could take that would allow them to call at the Parkway. but as you know, there isn't.

jayah

On Moderation

Your post about lack of parking at Shrub Hill sums up a lot of what I have been saying. When I suggest more parking there, I get the usual suspects saying that is impossible because there aren't the roads supporting it.

There were lots of calls in those articles for the missing ring road and more I have read in articles about the current dualling scheme if you wanted to read them.

I am an advocate of integrated transport. This Parkway station with its 97% private car use is disintegrated transport at its worst. To make any useful contribution it will need acres of tarmac and yet more car journeys.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Your post about lack of parking at Shrub Hill sums up a lot of what I have been saying. When I suggest more parking there, I get the usual suspects saying that is impossible because there aren't the roads supporting it.

There were lots of calls in those articles for the missing ring road and more I have read in articles about the current dualling scheme if you wanted to read them.

I am an advocate of integrated transport. This Parkway station with its 97% private car use is disintegrated transport at its worst. To make any useful contribution it will need acres of tarmac and yet more car journeys.

And still you aren't listening to people who know Worcester! How about actually answering the questions put to you about these problems? And please, answer them in detail, and without the platitudes.

Exactly where are you going to fit parking in at Shrub Hill?
Do you propose to demolish Listed buildings?
Where do you propose the businesses in those buildings and in the area move to?
Who is going to compensate those businesses for that move?
How do you propose to improve Tolladine Rd, Sheffif St, and Newtown Rd without major disruption to those roads, and in relation to Newtown Rd to the railway above?
How do you propose to improve the access via City Walls Rd and Tallow Hill, when it is known that City Walls Rd already suffers from severe congestion?
How do you propose to improve access through the residential area of Wylds Lane?
Are you saying that my family member and friends that live in Worcester do not understand the problems that your proposals would cause?
Do you recognise that many of us here know Worcester far better than you do?

What articles about the Northern "relief" road? So far you have provided 2, one of which was out of date and the other irrelevant. I await a link to further articles, please?
Has Worcestershire CC ever done a projection on this?
The current road works for dualling are NOT to the north, but to the south and south west, and will provide better access to the Parkway station.

And I will ask again, do you actually know anything about Worcester other than from maps and articles?

deltic08

On Moderation
One of my main problems with the Parkway station is the unsustainable 97% modal share for private car / taxi and the fact no housing is going around it will only result in more and more car journeys and more and more car parking to serve it.
These people might have used the car for the whole of their journey but now are trying train.

InOban

Established Member
Like it or not, the regular travellers to London probably don't live in central Worcester but in desirable rural properties in the surrounding villages. They are bound to start their journey by car and are the target market.

Class 170101

Established Member
Looks like unbalanced calls by XC. More services Cardiff bound than Birmingham bound by the looks of it.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Not every hour could work which is why it looks odd.
I'm curious, are you able to elaborate at all why this is? Given every service I can think so north of Worcs Parkway has at least an hourly frequency, I'm struggling to come up with a reason - freight paths perhaps?

The Planner

Veteran Member
Don't know the details, but I would suspect that adding time in the northbound trains causes issues with the Cross City trains at Bromsgrove in some hours.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Looks like an op stop, so its surpressed from being a public stop and allows it to ignore it if the station isnt opened on time. Just needs a few clicks to change it into a full stop without having to retime anything.

II

Although work is progressing at a fair rate of knots, I'd be surprised if it is ready to open for the May timetable change as there remains much to do. I expect there will be the usual problems getting through the red tape in time, even if the station buildings, platforms and other infrastructure are completed by then. My money would be on an opening sometime between then and the December timetable.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Looks like an op stop, so its surpressed from being a public stop and allows it to ignore it if the station isnt opened on time. Just needs a few clicks to change it into a full stop without having to retime anything.
Thanks. Incidentally, I didn't know GWR would be running a class 158 through to Stansted Airport from the May timetable?
It certainly made me think of how many more journey opportunities there will be from this new station, if XC stopped ignoring Worcester. Also, if XC started calling there on NW /SE services, one could go from Evesham to Edinburgh with one change!

pdeaves

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.