• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Work experience on the Railways

Status
Not open for further replies.

oliMw

Hello, I am going to do work experience next year with my school and I was thinking about working on the railways. I would was wondering whether Greater Anglia or East Midlands trains accept work experience placements. I was thinking about either shadowing staff on the station or working in the signal box or working on the train.
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Not many companies do work experience anymore. Grand Central seem to have occasional placements. You need to be 18 to work on a train and I don't think they'd let you work in the signal box or be with those who do.

96tommy

I've just finished work experience with Network Rail. Most of the days was spent on the phone or computer rostering signalmen for future jobs, which was very enjoyable but managed a few trips to the York IECC for a few hours and visits to local signal boxes (e.g. Cattal) and other points (e.g. the relay bx at Colton Junction)

GB

Established Member
Not many companies do work experience anymore. Grand Central seem to have occasional placements. You need to be 18 to work on a train and I don't think they'd let you work in the signal box or be with those who do.

Whether things have changed I don't know, but I did my work experience in 1999 and spent most time in signal boxes. I also shadowed a guard for a quick shift, shadowed a MOM (or PS as they were then) though didn't go on track and had a cab ride in a class 86 from Colchester to London.

steamybrian

Established Member
If you cannot get work experience with one of the train operating companies or Network Rail then join your local Heritage Railway as a volunteer which will give you work experience.

The Snap

Established Member
If you cannot get work experience with one of the train operating companies or Network Rail then join your local Heritage Railway as a volunteer which will give you work experience.

That's no good for school work experience thought, given that there are very few staff/volunteers about during the week on heritage railways.

For a more general experience of a working environment (which isn’t forced upon you by your school), by all means get involved at a heritage railway.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I know a lot of TOCs have cut school work experience altogether, I was lucky enough to get in just before they all stopped. I know now Virgin, Northern and Merseyrail don't do it. My advice would be to email GA, EMT, NR and any FOCs and if they can help they usually pass your request on to relevant managers.

danuzumi

How would one go about doing that? I would love to Volunteer with our heritage railway or even a local operator

Last edited:

es373

Hello, I am going to do work experience next year with my school and I was thinking about working on the railways. I would was wondering whether Greater Anglia or East Midlands trains accept work experience placements. I was thinking about either shadowing staff on the station or working in the signal box or working on the train.
Thanks

E* do work experience placements in the depot, if you are interested.

I'm 15 now and I have always been fascinated with the railways. I'm also looking for work experience; would London Midland and Network Rail be worth a letter to as they are my local companies.

the sniper

Established Member
I'm 15 now and I have always been fascinated with the railways. I'm also looking for work experience; would London Midland and Network Rail be worth a letter to as they are my local companies.

Both are worth a try. London Midland might still do something, their placements probably aren't what they once were under Central Trains though. If they can offer anything, you'd probably largely be in their HQ at 102 New Street.

If you're in the Birmingham area give Chiltern a try too. They certainly used to do work experience.

Established Member
Have to apply way in advance for Network Rail, their schemes normally close late December/early January.

The Ham

Established Member
That's no good for school work experience thought, given that there are very few staff/volunteers about during the week on heritage railways.

For a more general experience of a working environment (which isn’t forced upon you by your school), by all means get involved at a heritage railway.

I would assume that the number of volunteers on heritage railways during the week depends on the line and time of year - check your local line's website to see if they run services during the time you are needing to do your work experience. If you were to go down this route, I would suggest getting some "training" over a few weekend prior to the main time there so you could be useful without being watched all the time. It is also a good place to meet people who may have worked on the railways and still know people or give you advice as to what you could do next to get a job on the railways.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I would assume that the number of volunteers on heritage railways during the week depends on the line and time of year - check your local line's website to see if they run services during the time you are needing to do your work experience. If you were to go down this route, I would suggest getting some "training" over a few weekend prior to the main time there so you could be useful without being watched all the time. It is also a good place to meet people who may have worked on the railways and still know people or give you advice as to what you could do next to get a job on the railways.

This is assuming that a heritage railway would be willing to take a work experience student with all the paperwork that entails, spend time training them if they are suitable (even heritage railways aren't playgrounds) and then getting them to do something, for which any safety case would probably demand they were supervised anyway.

Heritage railways are built around volunteers, not work experience students. It would be much easier to get some 'real' work experience, and probably more beneficial.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
When I did mine on a local TOC, I had to be supervised (well, have present) a minimum of two relevant members of staff at any point when I was in non-public premises, plus I needed a good few copies of insurance documents, employment contracts, liability statements, etc. Like ralphchadkirk says, it's a big deal (and a pain in the a*se to organise), I'd get onto it pronto, and ask around professional railways first.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
People do want to give students experience, but with society and law today it is not an easy thing. Like Matt, I strongly suggest you contact the real railways first as they will at least have an HR department supposedly with people who can deal with this sort of thing.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I wonder if they do this sort of thing for people who wish to try out the industry? Im 25, work in retail and would like a work experience or placement with FGW to try it out voluntarily. I have sent a few appilactions in the past but I get a 6 month lockout so I can't apply again just because someone else got to the interview, rather annoying when it's just on paper and you cant prove yourself!

I've just finished work experience with Network Rail. Most of the days was spent on the phone or computer rostering signalmen for future jobs, which was very enjoyable but managed a few trips to the York IECC for a few hours and visits to local signal boxes (e.g. Cattal) and other points (e.g. the relay bx at Colton Junction)

Cattal - the centre of the universe:lol: I wouldn't have thought, that it was very busy there?

burns20

I did work experience as general station staff at Newark Northgate with GNER.

Only dwn point was it included the week of the Hatfield crash.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Two different questions here:

1. School work experience - do it with a big companyt that is geared up for it.

2. Is working on a heritage line worthwhile for a young person?
Definitely! It will develop your maturity, and give you a chance to demonstrate that you can handle responsibility (if you are ready for it). This is more of a long term commitment though.

Established Member
As the person Temple Meads was on about I have just finished mine at Exeter St Davids and was great (I will be posting a thread in a second.) Just write a letter to your chosen company and see what they say. :) Hope this helps.

Ollie

VTPreston_Tez

I know a lot of TOCs have cut school work experience altogether, I was lucky enough to get in just before they all stopped. I know now Virgin, Northern and Merseyrail don't do it. My advice would be to email GA, EMT, NR and any FOCs and if they can help they usually pass your request on to relevant managers.

If Virgin get the West Coast franchise again, they said they might be able to give me a spot. Got a tweet off Virgin Jobs a few days ago saying this which might suggest Work Experience in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.