• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Work experience (train driving)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnbv

Hi,

Please could you tell me how to arrange work experience sitting in a cab for a day? (Just to be 100% sure train driving is something I want to do)

Thanks,

Mnbv

p.s. I'm north of 30 if that makes a difference...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bigfoot

Not a hope in hells chance. Cab rides for Joe public are like hens teeth.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Totally agree that there is no way you will be provided with such an opportunity. If you live within a reasonable distance of a traincrew depot you could try finding out if there's a particular pub where (off-duty!) drivers tend to meet up and try engaging them in conversation.

mnbv

Thanks both. Well some friends of friends are train drivers (sadly no direct friends) - how big an ask would this be? Would they have to jump through a lot of hoops / cash in a lot of goodwill to make this happen?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
on second thoughts it may be best if I just talk to my mates, probably best not to talk about security issues on a public forum in hindsight

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Getting a cab ride is not going to happen I'm afraid. It just does not occur any more unless you have some exceptional reason to be there.

red2005

Personally I wouldn't do it especially In an unofficial way. You do realise should the driver stupid enough to take that risk get caught it's probably his/her career?

Every so often the odd freight company auctions off cab rides for charity.....my advice would be to get your hand in your pocket.

Even conductors with aspirations to be drivers with security clearance can't get cab rides.

Last edited:

dmncf

Might a heritage railway be a possibility for this? Whereabouts do you live, mnbv?

notadriver

Established Member
An alternative idea is to go for a tram ride. All UK trams have a window offering a view out front and of the driver / controls.

craigybagel

Established Member
Even conductors with aspirations to be drivers with security clearance can't get cab rides.

Unless you work lot's of Friday and Saturday night shifts in summer - then the chances are you'll get called upon to assist the driver in examining the line during the hours of darkness whilst looking for trespassers <D

notadriver

Established Member

Are conductors that fussed about cab rides as they can already sit in the rear and get backwards cab ride ? I know of one that was given the opportunity of an official cab ride in a Javelin and said this of the experience 'I'm no train spotter to me it was just a fast moving train'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBSN

As a trainee driver myself, I can tell you from the horses mouth; you will not be cab riding any time soon.

Your best and only bet would be to pay to go on the footplate/hertiage.

craigybagel

Established Member
Are conductors that fussed about cab rides as they can already sit in the rear and get backwards cab ride ? I know of one that was given the opportunity of an official cab ride in a Javelin and said this of the experience 'I'm no train spotter to me it was just a fast moving train'

I know that any time I've been up front (entirely in accordance with the rule book) I've been surprised at how different it all looks, even though it's the same view I'm used to seeing everyday just moving in the opposite direction.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Hi,

Please could you tell me how to arrange work experience sitting in a cab for a day? (Just to be 100% sure train driving is something I want to do)

Thanks,

Mnbv

p.s. I'm north of 30 if that makes a difference...

1. As every other driver has said, not a hope in hell.
2. A preserved railway experience will not give you an insight. Nothing like mainline intensity.
3. If you are even needing to ask this, then the job isn't for you. The ability to handly the shifts and organise your life around them is far more important.

Andy-mc

Well as others have said it is unfortunately very unlikely, however posts on this forum and just talking to drivers is probably your best bet if you want an insight into the role. Although you would learn some things about the role you wouldn't really gain any CV worthy work experience from riding in the cab anyway.

red2005

As Craigy has said it's a completely different experience being in the rear cab to the front.....yes some aren't that bothered but they're generally the ones with few or no aspirations for a career up front or have been doing it for donkeys years and have been up front in times gone by when it was more acceptable.

Most of the guys that have assisted me up front are chuffed to bits with the change of scenery.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Unless you work lot's of Friday and Saturday night shifts in summer - then the chances are you'll get called upon to assist the driver in examining the line during the hours of darkness whilst looking for trespassers <D

Hahaha oh yes!!!!! I've had plenty of those this year lol!!

Status
Not open for further replies.