• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Work Experience with TOCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

metrocammel

I did mine with Northern, back in 2006. My school 'didn't do' work experience as such, so during the summer holiday I just went to the HR department at Bridgewater House, and spoke to the really nice HR manager, who sorted me out with a two-week placement, which included bits all around Manchester. It was very good. One day I was shadowing the depot fitter around Newton Heath, the next day I was travelling with Driver Standards manager to exotic places on 150s and 156s, such as Buxton and Bolton (where, on another day, I did some train announcing), and then the next I was helping to remove the old SPORTIS machines from Oxford Road.
Before Northern, I also tried with WCRC, but they turned me down due to H&S issues. I was extremely surprised how good the Northern w/e was, when I went, I expected it to be office based all day, but she asked me if I wanted to 'get out and about', so I obviously said 'yes' :P. The only day I was actually 'stuck' in an office was when I was in the planning department, which was good in itself! So Northern seem to be a good one to try. They seem to be 'pro-work experience' in general, as I noticed they had lots of paperwork related to w/e, however, mine was somewhat 'less-structured' than if it'd have been conducted through the official channels, via my school etc!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BJMorley

As I have Engineering with Derby College, I may be on a two week Work Experience with Rolls-Royce, but no dates have been settled, so I haven't got a clue if its at a different time to my school one, or at the same time.
I have the letter to put down what I want, and I'm thinking EMT or EWS Toton. But I just need to know, does the two TOCs have Employee Liability Insurance? Or my school won't authorise it :( :(
If not I can put down Rail Transport & Logistics and see what I get :D :D :D
Brandon

valentaman

i am doing 1 day a week work experience pending a job coming up at Emt at leicester station and my duties have and include

minor track safety

how to slam hst doors unable to dispatch with out a manager guiding me! as not safety crit!

tickets

gateline

cab rides

free travel

limited tops access

ask emt human resources at derby

go for it:D

BJMorley

does anybody know if EMT do 1 week or 2 week course? our school only allows 1 week. If not I'll go with Trent Barton.
Brandon

valentaman

contact eastmidlands trains human resources department and tell them what you want and how long and they shall try to accomodate you and at which station? ask for faye markham

hope this helps chap

P156KWJ

Established Member
I got a letter from Faye too :D I got some pack with it...

I hear of some people working railtours. Who should I contact; the tour provider, or the rolling stock provder? (examples: Spitfire / WCRC respectively)? As, say a buffet attendant. Cos I can remember some of the on-train team when Fragonset Fragon$h!t£ did a tour with 45112 were young chaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.