• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Work Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am in Year 10 in the SE/ London area and am seeking to do work experience with any TOC at the start of July. Could someone please let me know what companies pffer work experience, what sort of experiences are available and how I can apply.
Cheers,
Fraser.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gooner18

Hello, I am in Year 10 in the SE/ London area and am seeking to do work experience with any TOC at the start of July. Could someone please let me know what companies pffer work experience, what sort of experiences are available and how I can apply. I already know about GTR, but I'd rather not work with a corrupt company if I can help it....
Cheers,
Fraser.

Hi Fraser ,

First of all good luck on finding a work experience placement within the railways , I am sure someone will be able to assist you , however, just a bit of advice ;

I don’t think naming and calling a TOC ( Train Operating Company ) corrupt is the best of ways to start your career within the trade , especially when I doubt you have any cold hard facts to back your claim up.

Established Member
Hello Fraser,

Work experience usually isn't publicly advertised but many companies will offer it to you. If there's a particular company that perks your interest, even if it isn't advertised, contact them to see if they can arrange something for you. In your area Arriva Rail London, Southeastern and TfL Rail (Abbey Wood) are your best bets but as you live in the London area it should be easy for you even with other TOCs.

All the best :)

ComUtoR

Established Member
Please scratch Southeastern off your list. They have the same parent company as GTR. If you consider GTR corrupt then you should swerve them too.

Established Member
Hello Fraser,

Work experience usually isn't publicly advertised but many companies will offer it to you. If there's a particular company that perks your interest, even if it isn't advertised, contact them to see if they can arrange something for you. In your area Arriva Rail London, Southeastern and TfL Rail (Abbey Wood) are your best bets but as you live in the London area it should be easy for you even with other TOCs.

TfL Rail is MTR Crossrail just to clarify.

Please scratch Southeastern off your list. They have the same parent company as GTR. If you consider GTR corrupt then you should swerve them too.
SouthEastern don't illegaly charge passengers extra so I don't mind them. It's the managers of GTR that I have a dislike to.

Hello Fraser,

That's amazing thank you! I will attempt to speak to staff at the employment centres of these TOCs for more information. Cheers

Hi Fraser ,

First of all good luck on finding a work experience placement within the railways , I am sure someone will be able to assist you , however, just a bit of advice ;

I don’t think naming and calling a TOC ( Train Operating Company ) corrupt is the best of ways to start your career within the trade , especially when I doubt you have any cold hard facts to back your claim up.
In my opinion fraud and breaking contractual duties makes them corrupt- it is pretty well known what happens surrouding GTR. But thanks for the advice anyhow :)

ComUtoR

Established Member
I'm both confused and intrigued about this corruption at GTR. Can you explain where GTR are committing fraud and breaking contractual duties. If its well known then there will be no issue sharing your concerns.

I'm both confused and intrigued about this corruption at GTR. Can you explain where GTR are committing fraud and breaking contractual duties. If its well known then there will be no issue sharing your concerns.
The issue surrounding Gatwick Express, charging passengers more depsite National Rail Conditions of Travel allowing Thameslink Only being valid.

RJ

Established Member
SouthEastern don't illegaly charge passengers extra so I don't mind them. It's the managers of GTR that I have a dislike to.

One day, when you have to pay bills and earn money to feed yourself and your family, you won't judge a company by things like this.

If you're happy to slag off one TOC in public, another might think you will do the same thing to them and give you a wide berth. The railways are a smaller place than you think. Your principles might impress some on here, but they aren't helping your career are they?

scotraildriver

Established Member
And remember TOCs read and monitor sites like this. You are not doing yourself any favours here!

jon0844

Veteran Member
I fear for anyone else called Fraser that may now find it hard to get a foot in the door, after another one has tripped and fallen off the platform into the four foot.

GTR stole it.

Is there any end to their corruption? :smile:

Maybe you could apply for GTR and find out for yourself if the things you've read about them are true

driver9000

Established Member
Wow. After reading this thread all I can is good luck because with an opening shot launching corruption accusations into the ring you're going to need buckets of it.

I have arranged work experience for a couple of Y10 pupils where I work but they showed far more maturity and sense than this.

Trainguy90

I’d just send a letter or phone all the local companies in your area regardless of who owns and runs it. You want an insight into how the railway operates and any company will be able to show you that. You’re hardly going to be taking part in any dastardly plots that they might be undertaking.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Please don't make any new posts in this topic unless you are helping the OP with his job experience search - anything else is adding nothing to the topic.

I’d just send a letter or phone all the local companies in your area regardless of who owns and runs it. You want an insight into how the railway operates and any company will be able to show you that. You’re hardly going to be taking part in any dastardly plots that they might be undertaking.
That's a very goo point actually! Appreciated.
Time to get start sending some emails!

Cheers for the help from all that gave it. I have now emailed and applied for work experience at multiple TOCs. I apologise about my comment of GTR, I just have my own opinions regarding my local TOC and their practices and I hope you would've respected that rather than you being immature.
Cheers.

Wow. After reading this thread all I can is good luck because with an opening shot launching corruption accusations into the ring you're going to need buckets of it.

I have arranged work experience for a couple of Y10 pupils where I work but they showed far more maturity and sense than this.
Wow. Very kind of you to set up work experience however by saying that I have no maturity or sense due to one comment made on my first thread, is initself dimwitted and shortsighted. Thank you for these comments and in future I will be more careful on what I state.

4F89

Wow. Very kind of you to set up work experience however by saying that I have no maturity or sense due to one comment made on my first thread, is initself dimwitted and shortsighted. Thank you for these comments and in future I will be more careful on what I state.
Hardly helping yourself with biting back. I'd advise keeping a low profile and seeing what you can find out from any train company and not make enemies before you find out information first hand.

Darandio

Established Member
I really wouldn't worry about where you take work experience for that reason, I can imagine some would applaud your conscience. The fact is that you are looking for experience and the people you would be learning from are likely to not have any involvement in anything that is concerning you, you would be learning from good people.

You also need to consider that in taking work experience you are looking for experience to take into your working life. There may well be a point in which you have a family and need to put food on the table, there is no way you will be able to consider the morality of who you work for.

I really wouldn't worry about where you take work experience for that reason, I can imagine some would applaud your conscience. The fact is that you are looking for experience and the people you would be learning from are likely to not have any involvement in anything that is concerning you, you would be learning from good people.

You also need to consider that in taking work experience you are looking for experience to take into your working life. There may well be a point in which you have a family and need to put food on the table, there is no way you will be able to consider the morality of who you work for.

That's completely true. Cheers :)
Look where having a conscience has got me already haha

Hardly helping yourself with biting back. I'd advise keeping a low profile and seeing what you can find out from any train company and not make enemies before you find out information first hand.
Fair enough. Fire doesn't put out fire. But I'd still rather stick up for myself to some extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.