• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Work Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, i did Work Experience with GNER down in Peterborough...It was 3 weeks ago, but lets see if i can remember what i did.

Week One

Monday: General Introductions
Tuesday: York (GNER HQ)
Wednesday: Car Park
Thursday: Assisting passengers in Customer Services Office
Friday: Assisting passengers on Platform

Week Two

Monday: Travel Centre (Learning ticket types and restrictions)
Tuesday Travel Centre (Learning to issue tickets)
Wednesday: Barrier Staff (Actually Examining tickets)
Thursday: Barrier Staff (Another fun day of Examining tickets)
Friday: Customer Care (Helping carry out Customer care jobs)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sounds like fun. I tried for some experience with TPE last year but they claimed that no placements were taking place. I'll have to try GNER instead by the looks of it.

Coxster

Established Member
Hopefully mine will go okay in two and a bit weeks with SWT (helping guards for two weeks).

Guinness

Established Member
I'm with VT at Manchester Piccadilly for a week couple of days doing Administration Jobs the rest on the Platform I think. :)

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Chaz said:
I'm with VT at Manchester Piccadilly for a week couple of days doing Administration Jobs the rest on the Platform I think. :)

I wonder I could get some work experience in the Preston/Manchester area??

Out of interest, how did you actually get VT to let you go on work experience at Piccadilly?

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
voyagerdude220 said:
I wonder I could get some work experience in the Preston/Manchester area??

Out of interest, how did you actually get VT to let you go on work experience at Piccadilly?

Wouldn't Piccadilly be Network Rail?

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Probablly, but I don't know If I should go to the TOC, or the company who actually manages the station.

For Preston however, both companies are VT :)

Guinness

Established Member
At Piccadilly it is a Network Rail owned station however VT do have offices there and staff etc.

Coxster

Established Member
Chaz said:
At Piccadilly it is a Network Rail owned station however VT do have offices there and staff etc.
The NR stations are leased to the TOCs IIRC, so therefore you will see both Network Rail employees aswell as the TOC(s)'s employees. An example is Liverpool Street with NR and 'one'.

Gareth Hale

It sounds like fun, I get my work experiance next year and im going to work at the local airport.

warriorofrovac said:
Oh cool..All those rowdy passengers insulting and abusing the staff..have fun!
Nothing changes for customer services at busy stations. Hang around for a day and find out how the Jones' missed their train by 3 minutes and need to get home for their poorly cat!

don't forget the shield though ;)

steve158

you jammy buggers... when i was younger i never lived close to a major station. i ended up working for the local council in Brigg.

Coxster

Established Member
steve158 said:
you jammy buggers... when i was younger i never lived close to a major station. i ended up working for the local council in Brigg.
Sounds delightful :angel5:

nutter

I did mine 2 years ago at Bridgnorth MPD helping the fitters, and I did it for 3 weeks instead of 2. Great fun and I got a cabride on 7802 Bradley Manor at the end. That was the most fun I've ever had

Status
Not open for further replies.