• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Work Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lesjordans

Hey, does anyone know if Scotrail, Virgin, or GNER offer work experience to me in the Glasgow Area

thanks
Jordan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Met Driver

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
Best bet would be to contact them.

Indeed. I recommend sending a letter to all three companies which heavily emphasises your interest in railways, along with your CV. That's the method I used when sorting out my work exp placement last year - it certainly paid off!!

Guinness

Established Member
I got mine from contact directly to Virgin's Human Resource department. Ask at your local station. :)

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I'll be doing mine next year, preferbly in the Preston area..

Nothing planned yet, seeing It's so far in advance.

I guess i'd have to pay for the train tickets to/from the station every day?

Coxster

Established Member
voyagerdude220 said:
I guess i'd have to pay for the train tickets to/from the station every day?
Well, South West Trains gave me an all-stations ticket which allowed me to go anywhere in the SWT area over the two weeks as I had courses in Southampton etc. I took advantage of that at the weekend :D

To get mine I just phoned them and told them I liked railways and ended up like this. In fact, I have just come out of 2411 on a 100mph run up from Southampton to Basingstoke...

I contacted SWT about 7 months in advance which gave them the time to put me out on training courses such as the simulators etc, rather than just standing on a platform dispatching trains all day.

Im finding out my dates soon, i think i will try writing to fsr external relations manager hes V good, and i will also try virgins glasgow head office for any chance of doing anything at Glasgow Central

metrocammel

Ive got a two week course in June with Northern. Im not sure exactly what the course entails, but it is apparently a general perspective of the company, so covers ticketing, working with guards/ RPI's and maintenance. It should be good, and from reading Coxters' report with SWT, W/E sounds pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.