• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Work-Life Balance on the Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetom22

I'm considering to become a Train Conductor/Driver at some point in the future and I've heard two sides to the Work-Life balance it provides to employees.

I know that both roles usually work a 35/40 hour week with various day and night shifts. I've read up that the shifts are typically 4 days on and 4 days off.

Some employees say they love the time off the jobs provide while others say that the job robs them of their life outside work.

I'm hoping to work for either Virgin Trains or Transpennine Express and maybe Freightliner if I decide to go down the Freight Train route (I know freight services are different to passenger services).

If anyone could give me a realistic answer so I know what is fact and fiction it would be must appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dctraindriver

It’s a mixture. Some weeks you’ll feel you are always working other weeks vary with the feeling you’ve loads of time off. 6 days on the trot being in work between 3AM and 6 AM does knacker you out, especially when you have those nights you can’t sleep.

A four day week may mean that, so working for example Wednesday through to Saturday, however the next working week starts on Sunday so you could be working through to Tuesday (making 6 days), other companies may work longer days on the trot and it can take its toll.

You’ll miss out on weekend celebrations with friends so you’ll see less of them than if you worked 9 to 5 Monday to Friday, your real mates will forgive you but will expect you to say sorry no can do.

And there is nothing worse than going to bed at 8PM on a sunny evening for an early start....

The flip side is no commuting in rush hour, time off in the week, manage your sleep as best you can and that should help.

It’s the only real downside of the job.

theironroad

Established Member
There's no fact or fiction as peoples circumstances differ.

Many tocs are on a 4 day week, but not 4 on 4 off. If rostered well,then you may find you get a week of days off a couple of times a year which is almost like additional holiday time .

However, the extreme shift work undoubtedly takes a toll on lifetime health both physically and socially.

On balance it's still a decentt job but definitely not your 9-5 m-f

Cusaeng

I’m still waiting for a start data so I can’t say what it’s like for a tic but I work in emergency services and work very unsociable 12 hr shifts.

I can only echo what everyone has already said. It’s no fun heading to bed at 8pm on a Saturday night when all of your friends are in the pub and the likleyhood of getting a day off for that family party or a mates birthday is slim. However on the other hand it’s brilliant being able to get the weekly shop in at 4am when Asda is empty or booking a nice trip away mid week when everyone is at work.

Shifts are like any other job and they are what you make of them. You can let them run your life of you can make them work for you

theironroad

Established Member
I’m still waiting for a start data so I can’t say what it’s like for a tic but I work in emergency services and work very unsociable 12 hr shifts.

I can only echo what everyone has already said. It’s no fun heading to bed at 8pm on a Saturday night when all of your friends are in the pub and the likleyhood of getting a day off for that family party or a mates birthday is slim. However on the other hand it’s brilliant being able to get the weekly shop in at 4am when Asda is empty or booking a nice trip away mid week when everyone is at work.

Shifts are like any other job and they are what you make of them. You can let them run your life of you can make them work for you

Out of interest , do your 12 hour shifts start at the same time each day in the pattern , ie do you do X number of days 0600-1800 then have days off then do 1800-0600 for a number of days before swapping back or do the shift start times vary?

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Why have you created another thread on the same topic?

A bit like the poster who repeatedly starts threads asking about Scotrail shift patterns but asking slightly different questions each time. Smacks of indecision which can only be alleviated when they read what they want to hear even if they don't know what that is! Just how some people are I guess.

For what it's worth despite the downsides of the shifts it's the best job I've ever had.

Cusaeng

Out of interest , do your 12 hour shifts start at the same time each day in the pattern , ie do you do X number of days 0600-1800 then have days off then do 1800-0600 for a number of days before swapping back or do the shift start times vary?

Our 12 hr shifts are from 0700-1900 and 1900-0700 and they are a mix of 2 3 or 4 on followed by 2 3 and 4 days off.

we used to work 10 hr shifts and they were
0700-1700
1400-0000
1700-0300
2200-0700
Again with a different mix of days in and rest days.

I’ve also worked 6 on 4 off earlys back and night shifts 60hrs in 6 days.

So I’ve pretty much done it all

rhys37429

The job does have a good work/life balance, its what you make of it.

Iv lost track of amount of time I havnt attended family functions or events I had my eye on, but you get used to that, when your off and everyone else is at work you make your own plans and enjoy yourself regardless. This is not to put you off, but people who don't work on the railway don't understand we work Saturdays or have to be in work the next day at 4am ect, unfortunately the job comes first. If you do require a particular day off most staff members will swap you.

I prefer to go for a quiet pint on a Monday evening since everyone is in work the next day, I also use my discounted/free travel to explore various places. As for the shifts its nice finishing from a early going into your long weekend off (5 days) as in effect you have a extra day off.

in essence its swings and roundabouts, its what you make of it.

amateur

On Moderation
I imagine you can be sleep deprived for the rest of your life if you choose to join the railways

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
I imagine you can be sleep deprived for the rest of your life if you choose to join the railways

Once again it depends on how you manage things. If you have young children around it can certainly be an issue but certainly not insurmountable. Some people cope perfectly well with "split" sleeping, ie having a couple of hours in the middle of the day to balance up reduced sleeping time at night. There is no one-size-fits-all formula.

Tube driver

Always find that my body is always trying to catch up with my shifts.

Start early and by day 3 or 4 my body has got into a rhythm only to have a day or two off and switch to lates but my body is still on 'earlies' and it takes a few days to make the switch.

We have syndicates (mafias and optional) which helps but there is usually a trade off where you may lose control on what days off you have of may find you're frequently going over your weekly hours which doesn't appeal to a number of drivers.

One thing is though is that I absolutely hate the 9-5 type shifts. Travelling in outside peak hours makes such a difference to my working week that i dread it when they come around. How commuters do it day in and out I have no idea.

Johncleesefan

It’s definitely your outlook on it. I have a young family so my time is spent with my wife and children regardless. For a young and single person with a busy social agenda I imagine it could come as a shock. As for sleep deprivation it’s all about being strict. I’m definitely a night owl but have succumbed to 7pm bedtimes on occasion when needed during a long week of 4 or 5am starts.

baz962

Established Member
It’s definitely your outlook on it. I have a young family so my time is spent with my wife and children regardless. For a young and single person with a busy social agenda I imagine it could come as a shock. As for sleep deprivation it’s all about being strict. I’m definitely a night owl but have succumbed to 7pm bedtimes on occasion when needed during a long week of 4 or 5am starts.

Hi mate, how do you do the early night's. In the job I just left I had 5am start's and needed to leave home about 4.30. Now I will after training have 4 am start's and will have to be up about 1 am, however even if I go to bed about 7pm, I would still be awake until between 9 and 11. I am happy to go to bed very early, but not sure how I will get myself off to sleep, any advice.

Johncleesefan

Best advice is routine. I find now myself being tired around 7 anyway when on a week of daft earlies. But routine is have an early family meal then get my girls ready for bed and go to bed at the same time pretty much. Sometimes I have a quick brew with the mrs before hand and she stays up a little while longer. Our bedroom is kitted out too. Blackout blinds, only electric is alarm and a whopping fan for the summer.

My vice is plugging a bit of Ricky gervais show on quietly on a timer as that helps me drift off. But I only pop that on if I’m not already tired

Johncleesefan

Haha he’s a bit marmite but I love the guy. There’s a cult following on YouTube for the series. It’s pilkington we adore

ComUtoR

Established Member
Sleep management is tricky but something you need to learn asap. Read up on various techniques and studies and try to discipline yourself. Fatigue hits you outside work too. Those 1hr journeys that the TOCs are desperate to prevent but applicants are desperate to circumvent will bite you in the ass. 9hr day + 1hr each side will stack up quick and can lead to road accidents etc. I started the railway as a long, deep sleeper. Now I flinch at the slightest breeze and wake with a sliver of light but I compensate for it.

Lifestyle management is important too. I don't work rest days so a 4 day week is a blessing that I use to my advantage. Long weekends mean you can play hard and often. Again, discipline yourself on the work days.

baz962

Established Member
To be honest I don't party, I am happy going to bed early, but lie awake at night sometime's. I will do some heavy research on it before I get there lol.

ComUtoR

Established Member
but lie awake at night sometime's.

Broken sleep is the worst. Short but good quality sleep is much better. There are a couple of good techniques to get yourself to sleep and you find what is personal to you.

baz962

Established Member
Broken sleep is the worst. Short but good quality sleep is much better. There are a couple of good techniques to get yourself to sleep and you find what is personal to you.

Some research then.

ComUtoR

Established Member
So here is my thought process for this evening.

I'm early shift in the morning and I need to be up around 0630. Not too bad as its a late early. Not much driving to do tomorrow, I've checked my turn, and it's not that intensive.

That time of the morning is a crap drive in early morning traffic, I've done the journey for this shift before and its timed for about 45 minutes for a Monday.

I need 6hrs so I could go bed at 00:00 but I guarantee it will be pushing it and a forced 6 is bad (natural patterns [circadian] are better). I want to watch the Equalizer but I've +'ed it for another day anyway. If I go now, I'll get a broken sleep or I'll get a solid 6 and be up really buggering early. I won't get 8 as I've been off the weekend and upped my sleep credit (credit/deficit theory) so I have a couple in the bank and a broken 8 won't hurt my fatigue level at this stage. Annoyingly I'm not tired at all; as I said I've banked some decent sleep this weekend.

I've prepared my room and its at a comfortable temperature for me to get a good sleep, I'm mentally prepared and started winding down early evening. I haven't had a drink for a few hours (avoid late drinking/sugar/caffeine etc) I haven't touched my phone or tablet (blue light syndrome). As Johncleesefan would highlight, this is my evening routine.

My bag is packed and ready, all equipment and uniform is ready and the car is fueled up and has my winter kit in the boot. Whatever happens in the morning I am prepared for work and that reduces any anxiety.

As you can see, there is a little bit of lifestyle management, self discipline and fatigue awareness.

The first few years are the hardest, especially if you aren't used to shift work.

Mintona

Established Member
Being a train driver and one of my closest friends also working on the railway, I haven’t seen him since October. It does mess with your social life somewhat!

387star

On Moderation
I think where you choose to live is quite important

I live 15 minutes from the nearest train station which is a pleasant stroll away from busy roads

The train takes 50 mins and I can use that time to study Rules, Route Maps or enjoy books

Plus the line has amazing scenery!

I feel very relaxed when I arrive at work. Soon my journey on the train is cut to 35 minutes so even better !

If I had to drive the distance I could imagine it being a lot more stressful. I hardly use my car these days... The roads are so poorly maintained and congested

Last edited:

Johncleesefan

Agree. I’m extremely lucky and live 15min walk from work so never have to stress about getting in.

The only danger with knowing your turn of duty is when resources change you as you book on. Other morning for example my booked job was the first hour and a hour in a taxi, so I could get a bit of extra kip. There have been times when I have been taken off that and given a different job which then denies that little nap

axlecounter

The train driver shifts life is a bit like an addiction. You know it’s fu**ing you up but you don’t want to miss the benefits of it. :D

Bromley boy

Established Member
Interesting reading peoples’ experiences and perspectives.

In my view the shifts are by far the toughest thing, along with the isolation. Our roster has been renegotiated recently so that we never have less than two days off in a row and never work more than four consecutive days. This is a true four day week and the work life balance is excellent. The downside is we don’t get the weeks of rest days some other TOCs get but I prefer “little and often”.

I’d echo the advice about living close to work. I know people who live 70+ miles away from the depot and I just don’t know how they do it. In an area of the county where housing is extremely expensive I can understand why people end up in this position but I wouldn’t recommend it.

Fatigue is a real issue. I mitigate it by swapping away very early starts in favour of “late earlies”. This makes a big difference and is easy to do as early starts are popular, especially with those with young families.

Economist

The first early after a week of lates can be a bit on the tough side, I'd recommend plenty of coffee. I wasn't really a coffee drinker at all before I joined the railway but I have it pretty much every working day now, even though I'm not too keen on it. Quite a few drivers swap shifts so they get permanent earlies or permanent lates.

Living close to the depot is useful too, as others have suggested. I think those who are quite a distance away would suffer more than most from fatigue.

You probably will have a limited number of flexible dates when it comes to holidays, much of your leave will be decided for you, though it is possible to swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.