• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Work/Life Balance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Just wondered what you all think.... what is important with work?

Been offered two jobs - both great! (Sadly neither on the railway). One is with a big national company, the other with a very successful regional one.

One offers a car - the other offers more holiday and better pension (no car)
Both allow me and my partner to move in together - one sooner rather than later.
One means working away loads and time in hotels, the other will mean most nights at home.
One means lots of national driving on motorways - the other more regional driving around

I picked one then swayed the other way.......

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yew

Established Member
I suppose it depends what you want, if you wan to settle in with your partner and spend lots of time together (maybe even start a family). Then the home based one sounds good. However if you want a chance to see many cities and your partner will be understanding then maybe the other one. (would depend on exactly how much time away from home)

With regards to a company car, well it will probably be a diesel vauxhall, if you are a car person you might not be able to live with this. But o the other hand, you have your practical car, so maybe you can get a sports car?

Tomnick

Established Member
Having spent just over a year working continuously away from home (Mon - Fri every week), I'd choose the regional one any day! If there's a group of you working away together, it's not so bad, but I really didn't like being away from home all week, every week. I hated the long motorway journeys too - sharing the road with too many numpties!

I've just had to make a similar decision. My current job (lots of time away from home, long hours with lots of often unpaid overtime and pressure to work further overtime at short notice - but with a company car) against the job I was recently offered (close to home, shiftwork but on a rostered basis, similar salary but without the car). There was no question for me - I'd have been happy to be slightly financially worse off, but in practice the much shorter working week will mean that a bit of overtime to make up the difference (mainly Sundays, which are outside the working week) would still mean I'll be working less hours that I have been.

Coxster

Established Member
For me, I think I'd pick the time at home over the time away. If that job meant it might take a bit longer for me to be able to move in with my partner then so be it. What good is getting a house together if you're never around to be in it? Just my view if it was me.

StoneRoad

Unless you really, really like long distance (motorway) driving and staying away from home; then I would think the more local job would be better and would suit you and your partner.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Home and partner every time for me, but as has been said, it very much depends on your own personality and priorities in life.

Ascot

Established Member
Stay at home every time your 2nd comparison sounds like a dream job (lot's of holidays and home every night). Working away from home for weeks on end really damages your social and love life. The idea of jet-setting off to luxury hotels racking VIP airline status may seem glamorous but the novelty soon goes.

On the flip side though, if you do 2 years on the road is there a chance of a desk jockey position? It could pay off in the long run!

4SRKT

Established Member
Both allow moving in with your partner?? I'd reject them both and try to find one at the other end of the country if I were you! ;)

Butts

Veteran Member
Home and partner every time for me, but as has been said, it very much depends on your own personality and priorities in life.

How would Mrs Greenback have answered this question (or any of the other partners come to that) <D

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Mrs Greenback likes me to be at home every night - that way she knows I'm not up to no good!!!

Mr Heart-of-Wessex wouldn't mind if I wasn't home and doesn't give a monkeys if I'm 'up to no good', and vice versa! Means I can get on overnight bashes with ease

4SRKT

Established Member
Mr Heart-of-Wessex wouldn't mind if I wasn't home and doesn't give a monkeys if I'm 'up to no good', and vice versa! Means I can get on overnight bashes with ease

Sounds idyllic. Mrs 4SRKT is a very anti-crank wife and it's very difficult to wangle bashes (overnight or otherwise) on the sly. I sometimes think that she would rather I was up to no good with another woman than with the railway!

Oswyntail

Established Member
Remember that company cars can be a tax headache. And a better pension would swing it for me!

4SRKT

Established Member
I opted out of the company car scheme 18 months ago and have never looked back. Less tax at 40%, and because I travel extensively with work I now do most of this by rail because it's cheaper for me to do so using my ticketing knowledge than it is for work to pay me to use my own car. Loadsamiles! :)

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Sounds idyllic. Mrs 4SRKT is a very anti-crank wife and it's very difficult to wangle bashes (overnight or otherwise) on the sly. I sometimes think that she would rather I was up to no good with another woman than with the railway!

very! It does help that my partner is a huge 442/319 buff too, I doubt I'd love 319s if he never told me how hellfire they are!! It does help for charters etc too as we both do bashing so overnighters for a tour is either by myself or together if he comes along

Masboroughlad

Established Member
I can usually tempt mine to come along if there is the prospect of a good destination, decent grub - oh, and a licensed bar on board!!! (my sparkling company aside that is - lol)

anthony263

Established Member
I would pick the regional job. I started work last week working as a warehouse assistant/driver for a firm in Grangetown cardiff working 7am - 4pm. Normally I have been commuting by train although I have to admit it has taken a while to settle into a routine. That said since I am single I can do what I want and I do enjoy driving including my run up to Heathrow and back today.

However if I take my works van home I get an extra hour in bed and home 90 minutes earlier that said things didnt go to plan yesterday when I broke down on the M4 and had to get a truck to take me and the van back to the depot then get the 19:04 train from Cardiff to Pyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.