Working Conditions for drivers

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by gith, 25 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gith

gith Member

Hi.

I was wondering what conditions are like for drivers, freight or passenger. I have a few key questions; but any answers are fantastic.

- Can you send a text message whilst driving?
    - Can you listen to music?
    - Do you have the common things you would find in an office job, like being able to charge your phone?
    - Can you stand up and reposition in your seat if you're uncomfortable?
    - Can you eat your lunch?

Thanks, as I say any answers are much appreciated, I'd just like to get more of an insight to life on the railway.

2. headshot119

headshot119 Established Member

1) Absolutely not!
    2) Absolutely not!
    3) I thought I'd read somewhere that some locos had plugs drivers could use. (This might not be right though)
    4) Yes you can
    5) Yes you can

3. gith

gith Member

Okay, thanks. I guess 1 and 2 are essentially in case you miss a signal, and incase you don't hear AWS/Fire Alarm/Other?

4. Jamesb1974

Jamesb1974 Member

1) No!
    2) No!
    3) I have a portable battery pack with three USB ports to charge my phone from.
    4) Yes.
    5) Yes. Making a brew at speed and in the dark is an acquired skill.

Driving a train is something that requires 100% concentration. A lot of the time it will be dark and you won't have normal landmarks as reference points. There are no signs that say "You are now entering X", there are no cross roads, shops, roundabouts. It's you and your route knowledge. Your route knowledge that says that when you pass under the third bridge after X station, you know you are coming towards a speed restriction that requires you to apply a lot of brake because it is also on a falling gradient, or your route knowledge that says that when you approach Y bridge, its climbing all the way to Z tunnel and you better whack it open and keep it there.

Don't get sucked into the misconception that because you are in charge of a large piece of machinery it is in any way comparable to driving a road vehicle or anything you've done before. It's not.

Last edited: 25 May 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.