• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Working for Hitachi at North Pole Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orange

Does anyone have any experience of working within the North Pole depot for Hitachi?
I've potentially got an interview for a role based there.

I'd like to know if there's parking for workers or if I'd need to use public transport to get there.
Is there a canteen or somewhere to get food, vending machines etc?
Are the offices / depot shed clean and tidy? Is it damp and drafty or not too bad?

Anything else I should know?

Any guidance much appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Corner

I worked there for around 18 months.
You get a permit for parking on site, never failed to get a space. Couldnt comment on public transport as I never used it to get in or out.
The canteen has vending machines, an oven and a couple of microwaves, no catered food as such.
The offices were tidy, and got even more so when covid struck. The inspection pits can be a bit messy due to the servicing activities on the GU's (class 800 are bi-modes) but nothing major.
Never thought the place was damp, and no drafts once the shed road doors were closed.

Orange

Thank you so much. Don't want to come across as an idiot if I asked these things during the interview LOL

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I've been there a couple of times and although I'm not a engineer, I have seen several maintenance depots. It's certainly one of the more modern and cleaner ones. There's quite a bit of car parking available and was rather empty when I last went (was during Covid though). The public transport isn't great because its surrounded by railway lines but the 220 bus is on Scrubbs Lane (Mitre Way stop) and a short 5 min walk from there. A few other buses in the Ladbroke Grove area which will be a slightly longer walk.

Ldn13

Worked there for 2 years, if you need to know anything else let me know. What role are you going for if you can say?

Orange

I've been there a couple of times and although I'm not a engineer, I have seen several maintenance depots. It's certainly one of the more modern and cleaner ones. There's quite a bit of car parking available and was rather empty when I last went (was during Covid though). The public transport isn't great because its surrounded by railway lines but the 220 bus is on Scrubbs Lane (Mitre Way stop) and a short 5 min walk from there. A few other buses in the Ladbroke Grove area which will be a slightly longer walk.
Thank you. I've worked in a couple of lovely modern clean depots and started work this year for another company but I feel like the depot is messy, unorganised, dirty, loud and altogether un-organised. Started to look elsewhere and Hitachi came up. Don't want to leap from one mess to another LOL

Worked there for 2 years, if you need to know anything else let me know. What role are you going for if you can say?
Thank you.

I've applied for the Local Operated Points Controller vacancy and potentially have an interview next week. Not sure if it'll be online or at the depot.

Current workplace seems disorganised, messy, loud co-workers talking in my office (I prefer a quieter environment), it's dirty and cluttered and everyone just seems disinterested and backbites their co-workers.

I've worked in 2 depots where the Control rooms were quiet, clean and tidy, we were in charge of who was allowed in, co-workers were happy and interested in their jobs. I could commute easily, park nearby and just enjoy my role. Looking for the same again, hopefully with Hitachi.

@Ldn13 I can't private message you as I'm a new member.

Do you know what the Local Operated Points Controller office is like? Do they work alone or in a mixed office? Is it a modern signalling system where you set routes on a computer system etc?

What does the general dress code look like for men and women?

Last edited:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Do you know what the Local Operated Points Controller office is like? Do they work alone or in a mixed office? Is it a modern signalling system where you set routes on a computer system etc?

What does the general dress code look like for men and women?

The office is fairly small, but you can get a few people in there if need be. I think (don't quote me) they work alone but occasionally people pop in as required. It's a bank of CCTV screens mainly and other online systems (there might be a window but don't think you can see anything exciting!) but a fairly modern signalling system accepting trains from the Paddington signaller. Smart casual was how most of the office staff were I think.

Orange

The office is fairly small, but you can get a few people in there if need be. I think (don't quote me) they work alone but occasionally people pop in as required. It's a bank of CCTV screens mainly and other online systems (there might be a window but don't think you can see anything exciting!) but a fairly modern signalling system accepting trains from the Paddington signaller. Smart casual was how most of the office staff were I think.
Thank you so much. Interview confirmed for next week. I feel a lot more confident now thanks to your information and that from LDN13 and Corner.

Ldn13

Thank you so much. Interview confirmed for next week. I feel a lot more confident now thanks to your information and that from LDN13 and Corner.
Yea I agree with what horizon said. I’d suggest driving there as it’s a decent walk from the station and a 10 minute walk from the front gate. You’ll be able to park right near where your interview will be. Good luck

Orange

Yea I agree with what horizon said. I’d suggest driving there as it’s a decent walk from the station and a 10 minute walk from the front gate. You’ll be able to park right near where your interview will be. Good luck
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.