• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Workman Disconnected

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExRes

Established Member
I was catching up on some recent auction results and came across a lot containing three "Workman Disconnected" badges, the other lots that were seemingly associated were all signalman/box related

Is anyone aware of the use of these badges? perhaps safety related items for use on box levers?

Thanks for any information

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pinza-C55

Yes they are lever collars to indicate that the signal lever is out of use. The various railway companies had different styles of lever collars, the most famous of which had cast letters "STOP AND THINK".

ExRes

Established Member
Yes they are lever collars to indicate that the signal lever is out of use. The various railway companies had different styles of lever collars, the most famous of which had cast letters "STOP AND THINK".

Thanks very much for the information

RustyRails

I believe that the "Workman / Disconnected" enamel lever collars are of Great Western Railway origin. Most lever collars were to remind the signalman that he had a train waiting at an "out of sight" signal - these GWR ones seem to be specifically for use when a signal is out of action.
These turn up quite often (I have one!) but there doesn't seem to be any equivalent stating "Train Waiting" or "Stop" or anything like it.
Bit of a mystery!

RustyRails

Yes of course - the GWR "Spagnoletti" instruments had such flaps. The GWR always did things differently!

Status
Not open for further replies.