• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Works South of Oxenholme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordac

Established Member
There seems to be a lot of movement of men and machinery just south of Oxenholme, including taking over what seems to be the car park. Are they doing anything of note there? This has been going on for a while.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TBSchenker

Down Goods loop to become the Down Windermere, but retaining a connection to the main for goods trains to use, Down Windermere will proceed directly into Platform 3 at Oxenholme (will be wired). Down Windermere will be access off the Main by 40mph points controlling by flashing yellow aspects (better than the 10mph approach as is now!

Mordac

Established Member
Sounds peachy, first time I'm hearing about this. Two follow-ups: is this connected to electrification in any way, and does that have an ETA for the start of work? Also, will this have any impact on linespeeds on the mainline?

TBSchenker

It's not directly related to the Electrification, I think the wiring of the Windermere platform is to get the connections in now, then when they start they won't have to affect the mainline by taking isolations.

I forgot to mention the Down Main platform will have a main aspect signal replacing a ground signal, so passenger services can start southbound services from the north bound platform. Currently the ECS has to go to Tebay to reverse.

I'm not sure any linespeed improvements through Oxenholme are taking place, it's currently 90 now, from 100mph on the Down (falling to 85 just after), and 85mph on the Up approaches.

The main benefit for the main line is reduced time it takes for a train to enter the branch. Currently getting signalled down from 100mph (Class 185) to a red signal, which when it clears to a proceed aspect is then 10mph into the platform.

Leaving the branch is pretty much the same, although there is about 300 metres of running along the Down Main before crossing back to the Up Main. It's 25mph whilst doing this.

snowball

Established Member
is this connected to electrification in any way, and does that have an ETA for the start of work?

Following the Hendy report and the CP5 Enhancements Plan update, all that is known about the timing of the Windermere electrification (and Lostock Junction to Wigan) is that the GRIP 3 planning stage will be completed in CP5, and an announcement will then be made about the timescale for construction.

Mordac

Established Member
Thanks a lot for all the detail, that was very informative. And I kind of had surmised that the electrification was sort of dead in the water now, but I guess it's good to know for sure, even if it's not good news.

Chris125

Established Member
Thanks a lot for all the detail, that was very informative. And I kind of had surmised that the electrification was sort of dead in the water now, but I guess it's good to know for sure, even if it's not good news.

It's not dead in the water, just won't happen as soon as hoped for.

Last edited:

adamedwards

Saw these works today on my journey back from the Lakes. Strikes me a really useful project would be to get rid of the 5 mph limited open level crossing at Burneside. The non-stop at Burneside trains have to crawl through so loose most of the value of not stopping.

If the crossing had gates and the speed was the 50 mph line speed, the journey would probably be 2-3 mins faster.

Anyone know anything more about this crossing?

Thanks

Adam

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Saw these works today on my journey back from the Lakes. Strikes me a really useful project would be to get rid of the 5 mph limited open level crossing at Burneside. The non-stop at Burneside trains have to crawl through so loose most of the value of not stopping.

If the crossing had gates and the speed was the 50 mph line speed, the journey would probably be 2-3 mins faster.

Anyone know anything more about this crossing? Thanks Adam

Welcome to the forum and your first post. I have a feeling we will need to wait for the GRIP stage -but am sure some improvements will come with electrification.

deltic08

On Moderation
Welcome to the forum and your first post. I have a feeling we will need to wait for the GRIP stage -but am sure some improvements will come with electrification.

I asked the same question of Network Rail when electrification was first announced hoping the branch would be speed upgraded, signalled for two platforms at Windermere and more than 'one engine in steam'.

The reply was no upgrade in addition to electrification planned. So negative at one of the tourist hotspots in the North.

Mordac

Established Member
Apparently this is happening.
http://www.networkrailmediacentre.c...-works-means-new-railway-tracks-for-oxenholme

May bank holiday works means new railway tracks for Oxenholme

Downloads

Monday 11 Apr 2016

Train passengers heading through Oxenholme, Cumbria, are being urged to check before they travel over the early May bank holiday weekends as Network Rail's ‘orange army’ upgrades the railway.

Engineers will start work on the West Coast main line at Oxenholme and on the Windermere Branch line at 0515 Saturday 30 April and the lines will reopen on 1100 on Monday 2 May.

This work will pave the way for more reliable services for passengers and increased reliability in future.

Martin Frobisher, route director at Network Rail, said: “The work at Oxenholm to replace life expired track will improve the track layout in the area, make it easier to maintain and lead to more reliable service for passengers.

“I appreciate there will be some disruption as a result of this work and I’d like to thank passengers for their patience while we carry out this investment to provide a better railway.”

Alex Hynes, Managing Director for Northern Rail, said: “Investment in infrastructure helps contribute to a real improvement in performance and reliability for our customers on this line of route. Our advice to customers is to check before travelling and allow additional time where possible.”

Michelle Ragozzino, Virgin Trains Station Manager at Oxenholme, said: “Over the May Day holiday, some destinations along the West Coast Mainline may be served by fewer trains and some may only be reachable by rail replacement coaches. Due to this and the ongoing improvement works at Oxenholme, parking at the station will be extremely limited, so passengers should definitely check their journey before they travel and leave plenty of time to arrive at the station. We have worked closely with Network Rail to ensure alternative travel arrangements and parking spaces are in place to keep disruption to a minimum whilst this important work is carried out.”

Over 11,000 members of Network Rail’s orange army will be working across the country over the long weekend (30 April-2 May) to deliver vital elements of the company’s £40bn Railway Upgrade Plan, which will provide a bigger, better, and more reliable railway for passengers and businesses across Britain.

A total of £33m will be invested over the May Day weekend, with the work planned to minimise disruption to passengers – when passenger numbers are typically fewer than half. Compared with the recent Easter programme, there will be significantly less disruption on major routes with the overwhelming majority of journeys unaffected.

ENDS

Notes to editors

The Railway Upgrade Plan is Network Rail’s £40bn spending plan for Britain’s railways for the five year period up to 31 March 2019. The plan is designed to provide more capacity, relieve crowding and respond to tremendous growth the railways have seen – a doubling of passengers in the past twenty years. The plan will deliver a bigger, better railway with more trains, longer trains, faster trains with more infrastructure, more reliable infrastructure and better facilities for passengers, especially at stations

Although the vast majority of the network will be unaffected by planned improvement work, passengers are advised to check their journeys if travelling over the bank holiday at www.nationalrail.co.uk

Passenger information

Between Saturday 30 April – 11:00 on Monday 2 May and 05:15 on Saturday 30 April to 11:00 on Monday 2 May:

Virgin and TPE services between Carnforth and Carlisle will be diverted via Stockport with extended journey times.

Bus replacements will run at various points along the line between Warrington and Glasgow:

Crewe and Preston
Preston and Lancaster
Lancaster and Carlisle
Carlisle and Glasgow Central / Edinburgh
Calendonian Sleeper trains will be diverted between Motherwell and London Euston and will not call at Carlisle, Preston, Crewe or Watford Junction

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half

The survey and design work for Oxenholme to Windermere is due to start soon, and I'm sure all the LX will be reviewed as part of this - another one is manual gates!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Will the new "Down Windermere" loop be suitably signalled so that, in the event that a train leaving the branch towards Lancaster is delayed, the next train from Lancaster on to the branch can be held on the loop without blocking the Down Main?

thealexweb

Virgin and TPE services between Carnforth and Carlisle will be diverted via Stockport

That is certainly one hell of a detour. Should it not say Barrow-in-Furness or something?

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
That is certainly one hell of a detour. Should it not say Barrow-in-Furness or something?

It wouldn't be Barrow. Nothing that works the route is cleared for the Cumbrian Coast nor Route knowledge.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

No mention on NRE Website of anything else except busses. Somebody has got the wrong of the stick by the look of it.

Last edited:

QueensCurve

Established Member
I asked the same question of Network Rail when electrification was first announced hoping the branch would be speed upgraded, signalled for two platforms at Windermere and more than 'one engine in steam'.

The reply was no upgrade in addition to electrification planned. So negative at one of the tourist hotspots in the North.

The point of electrification in the case of the Windermere branch is that, because it is a single track siding, it is quickly and cheaply wireable with no need for remodelling, resignalling or additional power supplies. Compare for example Watford to St Albans which was wired some years ago. Cumbria alas is in the North. :)

The lack of locomotive runaround facilities at Windermere has long been a bane of contention but electrification won't do anything about it.

To me the desireable enhancement at Oxenholme would be a >10mph turnout onto the Branch at the S end of the station. Given the proximity of the overbridge to the turnout, the clearance of the Western Arch and the use of the land as a car park I doubt this will happen.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Down Goods loop to become the Down Windermere, but retaining a connection to the main for goods trains to use, Down Windermere will proceed directly into Platform 3 at Oxenholme (will be wired). Down Windermere will be access off the Main by 40mph points controlling by flashing yellow aspects (better than the 10mph approach as is now!

Apologies, I have just noticed this post. I stand corrected. Will the Windermere Branch now go through the western arch of the bridge? Will the arch provide clearance for the wires? What is the source for this?

Last edited:

QueensCurve

Established Member
I have been able to gleen a lot from the Network Change Correspondence.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/brows...in Line\NCG12015LNW656-656a Oxenholme Remodel

It would seem that as a prelude to electrification OHLE is being extended through the Windermere branch but not far enough to allow electric trains to terminate there and reverse.

Still not sure whether or not the facing Xover will survive these plans, likewise the Up Loop.

PS. Was the Up Loop always a Goods Loop? I can remember being routed through it on a passenger train around 30-35y ago.

adamedwards

Via Stockport used to mean this route:

Stockport - Manchester Victoria - Blackburn - Settle and Carlisle.

However as the S&C is closed, does this actually mean then via the East Coast Main Line?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Via Stockport used to mean this route:
Stockport - Manchester Victoria - Blackburn - Settle and Carlisle.
However as the S&C is closed, does this actually mean then via the East Coast Main Line?

On Sunday May 1, Virgin's Liverpool services are diverted via Stoke and Stockport.
But Glasgow/Edinburghs get no farther than Stafford (via Birmingham) or Crewe (via Trent Valley and Stoke).
They have given up north of Crewe, and TPE are only running from Manchester to Lancaster.
Things improve a bit on the Monday, but Liverpools still run via Stockport.

QueensCurve

Established Member
I note the WCML at Oxenholme was closed last weekend. Was any work done on this then? If so, What?

Last edited:

TBSchenker

On going remodelling works. The Up Goods loop has had new point work installed (out of use) going into the loop. In fact currently standing in the loop is the engineers train which came to grief yesterday requiring a wheel skate.

Work on the down is still on going, the track work is being installed for the new Down Passenger Loop, no pointwork has yet been installed for connecting this to the Windermere branch.

OLE mast installation appears complete through Platform 3 at Oxenholme, probably totalling 5 or 6 masts, enough to take the overheads to about 30 metres beyond the platform.

OLE portal masts continue to be installed from just beyond the bridge where Natlands Overhead Neutral Section is, to the station. These are replacing the headspan OLE.

Cletus

Established Member
An update from Network Rail
http://www.networkrailmediacentre.c...-holiday-as-oxenholme-gets-new-railway-tracks

Train passengers heading through Oxenholme, Cumbria, are being reminded to check before they travel over the early May bank holiday weekend as Network Rail's orange army upgrades the railway.
Engineers will continue work on a project to renew and adjust the track layout on the West Coast main line at Oxenholme and on the Windermere branch line over the May bank holiday. The railway will be closed from 0515 Saturday 30 April and the lines will reopen at 1100 on Monday 2 May.

To complete this essential upgrade work, further closures are required during each weekend in May. This work will pave the way for more reliable services for passengers and increased reliability in future.
Martin Frobisher, route director at Network Rail, said: “The work at Oxenholme to replace life expired track will improve the track layout in the area, make it easier to maintain and lead to more reliable service for passengers.

“I appreciate there will be some disruption as a result of this work and I’d like to thank passengers for their patience while we carry out this investment to provide a better railway.”

Alex Hynes, managing director for Northern Rail, said: “Investment in infrastructure helps contribute to a real improvement in performance and reliability for our customers on this line of route. Our advice to customers is to check before travelling and allow additional time where possible.”

Michelle Ragozzino, Virgin Trains station manager at Oxenholme, said: “Over the May Day holiday, some destinations along the West Coast main line may be served by fewer trains and some may only be reachable by rail replacement coaches. Due to this and the ongoing improvement works at Oxenholme, parking at the station will be extremely limited, so passengers should definitely check their journey before they travel and leave plenty of time to arrive at the station.

“We have worked closely with Network Rail to ensure alternative travel arrangements and parking spaces are in place to keep disruption to a minimum whilst this important work is carried out.”

Over 11,000 members of Network Rail’s orange army will be working across the country over the long weekend (30 April - 2 May) to deliver vital elements of the company’s £40bn Railway Upgrade Plan, which will provide a bigger, better, and more reliable railway for passengers and businesses across Britain.

A total of £33m will be invested over the May Day weekend, with the work planned to minimise disruption to passengers – when passenger numbers are typically fewer than half. Compared with the recent Easter programme, there will be significantly less disruption on major routes with the overwhelming majority of journeys unaffected.

ENDS

Notes to editors

The Railway Upgrade Plan is Network Rail’s £40bn spending plan for Britain’s railways for the five year period up to 31 March 2019. The plan is designed to provide more capacity, relieve crowding and respond to tremendous growth the railways have seen – a doubling of passengers in the past twenty years. The plan will deliver a bigger, better railway with more trains, longer trains, faster trains with more infrastructure, more reliable infrastructure and better facilities for passengers, especially at stations
Although the vast majority of the network will be unaffected by planned improvement work, passengers are advised to check their journeys if travelling over the bank holiday at www.nationalrail.co.uk
Passenger information

Between Saturday 30 April – 11:00 on Monday 2 May and 0515 on Saturday 30 April to 1100 on Monday 2 May:

Bus replacements will run at various points along the line between Warrington and Glasgow:

Crewe and Preston
Preston and Lancaster
Lancaster and Carlisle
Carlisle and Glasgow Central / Edinburgh
Calendonian Sleeper trains will be diverted between Motherwell and London Euston and will not call at Carlisle, Preston, Crewe or Watford Junction

snowball

Established Member
Press release (no details of layout changes, of course):

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.c...opens-on-time-following-may-bank-holiday-work

Passengers travelling through Oxenholme in Cumbria will have a smoother, more reliable journey following a weekend of upgrade work by Network Rail's orange army.

Engineers worked day and night on the West Coast main line at Oxenholme, where it meets the Windermere branch line, over the spring bank holiday to replace life expired track and simplify the track layout to pave the way for more reliable services.

The railway reopened today (Monday 30 May) with trains once again travelling through the area from midday.

Martin Frobisher, route managing director at Network Rail, said: “A large amount of work has taken place over the bank holiday weekend to replace life expired track to improve the track layout in the area, making it easier to maintain and services more reliable for passengers.

“I’d like to thank passengers for their patience while we carried out this investment as part of the Railway Upgrade Plan to deliver a better railway.”

Alex Hynes, managing director for Northern Rail, said: “Investing in local improvements which provide network wide benefits for our customers is great news. It helps contribute to a real improvement in performance and reliability for our customers on this line of route. I’d like to thank those customers for their patience and understanding while this important maintenance work was carried out.”

Michelle Ragozzino, Virgin Trains station manager at Oxenholme, said: “We would like to thank customers for their patience and understanding, whilst Network Rail carried out this important work over the bank holiday weekend. More improvement work is scheduled, alongside the ongoing work at Oxenholme, so we advise passengers to check their journey before they travel and leave plenty of time to arrive at the station, as parking will be extremely limited. We are working closely with Network Rail to ensure alternative travel arrangements and parking spaces are in place to keep disruption to a minimum.”

Over 9,000 members of Network Rail’s orange army worked across the country over the spring bank holiday weekend to deliver vital elements of the company’s Railway Upgrade Plan, which will provide a bigger, better, and more reliable railway for passengers and businesses across Britain.

A total of £30m was invested over three days to renew track, upgrade signalling systems and help boost the capacity of the network so more trains can run in future. The work was planned to minimise disruption, as passenger numbers typically drop by more than half during a bank holiday. The overwhelming majority of journeys were unaffected by engineering work.

Status
Not open for further replies.