• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worksop Freight Yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan125hst

Established Member
Has part of Worksop Freight Yard closed and been sold off?

I pass weekly on the on train and I noticed some weeks ago that some coal wagons were being scrapped, presumably they are now surplus to requirements due to the closure of many coal power stations in recent years. This was occuring on the B&Q side of the yard.

Going past today, I see they've now built a fence from what I believe is/was the old drivers depot most of the way along as far as another building (not sure what that building was for). It leaves just two lines remaining as far as sidings go should the rest of the yard be lifted.

The sidings on the other side of the line remain intact and are home to several disused coal wagon rakes.

Does anyone know what the plans are for this site?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Harry Needle has taken on the site at Worksop. There have been two articles in recent editions of RAIL. Supposedly for ‘new work’, not transfer from another site.

Moodster020

Has part of Worksop Freight Yard closed and been sold off?

I pass weekly on the on train and I noticed some weeks ago that some coal wagons were being scrapped, presumably they are now surplus to requirements due to the closure of many coal power stations in recent years. This was occuring on the B&Q side of the yard.

Going past today, I see they've now built a fence from what I believe is/was the old drivers depot most of the way along as far as another building (not sure what that building was for). It leaves just two lines remaining as far as sidings go should the rest of the yard be lifted.

The sidings on the other side of the line remain intact and are home to several disused coal wagon rakes.

Does anyone know what the plans are for this site?

Yep me! I work at HNRC & been spending a while here, and all this week. Getting rebuilt as a working depot. Fencing is phases one, and to make the site secure to keep the chav patrols out. Bits of line getting lifted is being replaced, as roller coaster track isnt good for the customers, infact, more yards of track are needed, so will be extended.

ryan125hst

Established Member
Sorry for the late reply - I've been busy with work and Uni work!

It's good to hear that HNRC have taken on the site and so it is staying in railway use. I have been past on the train most weeks and the site is a hive of activity, quite a contract to the last few years since the coal trains to the local power stations have all but ceased.

I have also since found a couple of news articles about the site which may be of interest to anyone else who is wondering what is going on with the site.

https://www.railmagazine.com/news/network/hnrc-expands-with-worksop-purchase
Rail Magazine said:
The majority of the freehold interest in Worksop Wagon Repair Depot has been bought by Harry Needle Railroad Company from DB Cargo UK.

DB retains its leasehold interest in the Worksop Down Reception Sidings, and the two companies have agreed to a Connection Contract that to ensure the facilities remain connected.

https://www.worksopguardian.co.uk/n...ment-and-new-jobs-coming-to-worksop-1-9577543
Worksop Guardian said:
Millions of pounds worth of investment as well as new jobs and apprenticeships in the rail industry are coming to Worksop.

Harry Needle Railroad Company (HNRC)which repairs and hires locomotives is investing around £6 million in development and operations on the twelve-acre site off Babbage Way with plans to create 45 new jobs.

HNRC is also looking to set up a future apprenticeship scheme which could eventually cater for around 60 apprentices.

When fully operational the former Wagon Repair Depot site, which was run by DB Schenker will be able to take 20 locomotives a week for repair, refurbishment and maintenance.

The site has been vacant since 2015 when the rail freight company announced it would be cutting 234 jobs including the Worksop depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.