• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worksop to York

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbeech

Established Member
I fancy going to York tomorrow. Leave after 0900 and leave York around 1930.

The outbound is quicker via Retford. But the return is roughly as quick via Sheffield with an evening wait at Sheffield rather than Retford being much more appealing as I can still get a drink on the platform. However I'm not sure if via Sheffield is a permitted route for this.
I can get 2 tickets (WRK to SHF and SHF to YRK) and it's actually within £1 of the price of a any permitted route WRK to YRK but I don't want to go via SHF on my outbound as it takes an hour longer.

Obviously single tickets double the cost nearly so I don't want to do this.

Rob

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
According to the Virgin Trains East Coast journey planner (and National Rail Enquiries), a Shireoaks-York offpeak return at £27 will allow you to do what you want: outward on the 1014 to Retford (and then on to York) and back on the 1936 to Sheffield (and then on to Shireoaks).

Plus, of course, you will need a Shireoaks-Worksop single at £3.20 for the final 4 minutes of your train travel for the day

Last edited:

robbeech

Established Member
Yes, i did see this, to be fair, i could travel from Shireoaks, I will be parking the car at Worksop anyway so i can just park at Shireoaks. This sort of cures the problem but i did wonder if it was acceptable directly from Worksop and if not, why on earth not.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Would this also permit a BOJ at Leeds for a couple of hours if I caught the 1845 from York?
I can't see a reason why not.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Don't see why not. It is entirely reasonable.

As for Worksop to York not being permitted via Sheffield, what a load of nonsence if true. I doubt any guard would be that fussy.

robbeech

Established Member
Well. The friendly Northern Rail chap said it was a permitted route and I'm on my way back (earlier than anticipated) and my ticket was accepted on the 1445 XC service to Penzance so it'll just be Northerns own staff that spoil things if anything.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.