• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

World's Most Scenic Railways - new Channel 5 series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Starts next Friday 1st May at 20.00 on Channel 5, in the slot vacated by Walking Lost Railways.

Should be of interest?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Starts next Friday 1st May at 20.00 on Channel 5, in the slot vacated by Walking Lost Railways.

Should be of interest?

First episode of series two on Friday is the 187 mile trip from Inverness to Edinburgh, passing through Aviemore, Pitlochry, the Kingdom of Fife and over the Forth Bridge.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There were numerous spelling howlers in the subtitles, which also seemed to be running about 45 seconds behind the audio!

DelW

Established Member
Some nice scenic shots, and reasonably interesting "this is near the line" interludes. Continuity was mostly OK, aerial shots were a mixture of short HSTs and three car units.

I assume the train they filmed on board was an unrefurbished set, it looked like a very FGW interior colour scheme.

Overall I enjoyed it, and I'll give the rest of the series a go. Not sure what's happened to the last episode of Tony Robinson's series though, that was shown on Friday evenings and I thought there was still one more to go?

Hophead

Established Member
Some nice scenic shots, and reasonably interesting "this is near the line" interludes. Continuity was mostly OK, aerial shots were a mixture of short HSTs and three car units.

I assume the train they filmed on board was an unrefurbished set, it looked like a very FGW interior colour scheme.

Overall I enjoyed it, and I'll give the rest of the series a go. Not sure what's happened to the last episode of Tony Robinson's series though, that was shown on Friday evenings and I thought there was still one more to go?

Tony Robinson series concludes this coming Friday (8th May) at 9pm - final stop is Hamburg apparently.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Second episode of the current showing of "The World's Most Scenic Railway Journeys" is scheduled for Friday 8th May 2020 (Channel 5 at 8.00 p.m.) and features a train journey through Spain, beginning near Leon in the Picos de Europa mountains, and heading to the harbour of Ferrol.

Narration is once again by Bill Nighy. (Ho hum!)

(Not sure if this isn't actually a re-run from Series One!)

Last edited:

thejuggler

We drove from the northwest of Scotland to Edinburgh via Inverness last year and as the railway is ever present we decided to stay around Pitlochry this year and do an Inverness return trip by train.

Lockdown has put paid to it for now, but the programme gave us something to look forward to.

Do you know from timetables which services are operated by HST?

Kendalian

We drove from the northwest of Scotland to Edinburgh via Inverness last year and as the railway is ever present we decided to stay around Pitlochry this year and do an Inverness return trip by train.

Lockdown has put paid to it for now, but the programme gave us something to look forward to.

Do you know from timetables which services are operated by HST?

Realtimetrains.co.uk show the HST services as "diesel loco...trailing load 324 tons" whereas the 170's or occasional 158 operated services they show the unit number.

Not been up there since RTT started showing the specific unit so can't vouch for how accurate they are, or whether the traction shown is what is booked to work, or what is actually working.

Enjoy though when you do eventually get there...it's worth the wait!

geoffk

Established Member
Watched all of these so far. Bill Nighy could use some lessons in the pronunciation of local place names in Spain and Finland as he just speaks them as though they are English, and there's a bit too much use of words like iconic and stunning. Other than that, some good scenic views, local history and details of rail operations. Series like this are not of course aimed at enthusiasts but have to appeal to a wider audience.

Last edited:

geoffk

Established Member
I see that tonight's episode in South Africa is billed as "series 2, 2/10" but we've had two already. Seems that there are two series on the go at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.