• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worst Ferry Crossing you’ve been on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bantamzen

Established Member
The two worst ferries for me where Hull-Zeebrugge sailing head-on into a F9 gale blowing across the North Sea. It was so bad even some crew were chucking up, but I actually felt OK. I even found my sweet balance spot after a few beers when my swaying cancelled out the boat swaying. Didn't last long mind. The other was a ferry from Karamania (Kos) to Mandraki (Nisyros). The sailing itself wasn't bad, but the choppy waters of the Aegean Sea in the harbour at Mandraki made getting off the ramp of the ferry let's say interesting. You more or less had to time a jump off and hope for the best! Still the day ended with having beer in in a volcano so was more than worth it!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
a Newhaven-Dieppe ferry, sometime in the 90s (I was a kid). Only about a 4 hour crossing. It was rough from the outset. My dad succumb early on and spent most of the crossing outside. I was fine. My sister was fine. My mum was fine. We wandered the ship, littered with people groaning on the pitching floor. Halfway across the idea of lunch seemed good.

I got as far as the checkout and suddenly it wasn't so good idea. I managed to make it outside, amazingly, before I hurled. Went and joined my dad for the rest of the crossing.

Butts

Veteran Member
Back in the eighties my Cousin came down from Argyll after a relationship breakup to cheer himself up. I was living in Southampton at the time and we decided to do a Channel Crossing from Southampton to Cherbourg - the old "booze cruises"

Being a hardy "sea faring" Highlander (Cal Mac veteran) the prospect of a trip across the English Channel would be a "piece of P*ss"

However we were both in for a shock when the ship started listing quite violently and everything flew of the tables in the Café and all the shelves in The Duty Free. Chairs were sliding about ... and some people.

I thought it was great but he greeted the storms onset with a "Technicolor Yawn" all across the fruit machines en-route to the toilet.

Which reminds me of a decidedly rough crossing from Kilchoan to Tobermory in the mid 70s on what looked like a repurposed landing craft. Not leaky though! The minibus west from Ft William via Corran Ferry in pouring rain was bad enough, and we were worried about making the ferry connection. It was the last of our worries - and memory says the ferry had no other passengers...

I had exactly that experience in about 2008, and I'm willing to bet the ship was probably still the same!
This page shows both the type of double-ended ferry that has apparently been operating the route in summer since 1999, and presumably now does so all year round, and the smaller 'Island class' type that at the time the page was written still operated it in winter (they have now all been withdrawn). The latter were certainly around in the 1970s, but I'm not aware that they were on that route then, and the first page I link to suggests that they didn't arrive there until 1985. The Lochnell appears to have been the usual Kilchoan boat in the 1970s, but presumably others would have substituted from time to time; I'm not aware that MacBraynes ever owned any actual military landing craft, but it wouldn't surprise me if such vessels were sometimes used in the Hebrides.

The Island class ferries may have been inspired in general terms by military landing craft, but they were purpose-designed for use as ferries. My experience is that they coped much better with waves than you might expect from their appearance; other people's experience may differ, but they are described here as 'Always superb seaboats'.

This doesn't count as either 'best' or 'worst'. but I did have a memorable journey on one of those boats once when a sheep jumped overboard about halfway between Lismore and Oban; they turned the boat round and put the ramp down in the middle of the sea so one of the crew could walk down to the end and rescue the wet but otherwise unharmed sheep.

rangersac

Mine was definitely a winter crossing in the Island class. I took the car as well, and as I recall there was probably only space for about four or five vehicles on the deck. There was a small lounge beneath the bridge which could fit about a dozen people, but after sampling briefly that I opted for the bracing sea air. In fairness she did the job she was asked for with minimal fuss on a pretty filthy western Scottish winter day.

Worst ferry crossing experience goes to a fast catamaran service, the SeaCat, that operated between Port Welshpool, Victoria and Georgetown, Tasmania in the early 1990s. It had the enduring nickname of the Vomit Comet, and pretty much had a full time welder on call to fix the leaks after every run, such was the battering she took. You couldn't have scripted a better plot into how to make people sick, a nice 45 minute run in flat water, in the lee of Wilson's Promontory allowing all the passengers to fill up on the buffet nicely, before whammo into 4 metre plus seas once into Bass Strait proper. I don't think I've ever seen a greater proportion of sick people on a boat at one time, even on research ships in the Antarctic that I've been on!

Stan63

I had 2 bad experiences in Greece. On the first I was returning from Skiathos to Volos on the Flying Dolphin, a small hydrofoil. The seas were rough and I had made a bad decision to have grilled octopus in a cafe just before the journey. The hydrofoil was being thrown about all over the place as it skipped over the waves with luggage sliding all over the floor and people throwing up into bins and plastic bags. I think the suckers of the octopus were the only thing that kept it in my stomach.

The second was a ferry from Piraeus to Paros one August. There is always a strong wind from Africa at that time of year and the seas were really rough so the boat was listing and being thrown about quite a bit. I felt a bit queasy so headed to the toilet to splash water on my face only to be met with the sight of people throwing up in sinks, toilets and urinals so to escape the awful aroma I headed back outside into the fresh air. I was sitting on a large plastic bench facing the back of the boat when we hit a huge wave which swamped the entire deck and almost washed passengers overboard. I spent the rest of the journey in the amusement arcade in the centre of the ship with a belting sore head and my stomach sounding like a washing machine. I wasn't sick but felt terrible for a couple of hours when we docked.

Stan

trebor79

Established Member
A day trip from Jersey to Guernsey on one of the fastcats. Horribly rough and if you attempted to stand up you got thrown around the cabin - that was when I notices the pillars holding the roof up were padded. Mum and a few other passengers had gone out onto the small deck. IT became so rough that the crew herded everyone back inside and shut the doors. Except mum was still out there being horrendously sick and wasn't able to get up, so they just left her there. Spent the whole journey worrying about her and trying not to get injured. Amazingly they still managed to wheel a trolley round flogging overpriced perfumes etc

The other time was Newcastle to Ijmuiden when I went interrailing aged 19. The crossing was fine, not rough. We had couchettes right in the bottom of the ship, you could hear water on the other side of the hull plates and there were water tight doors everywhere. It got pretty lively in the bar, even some of the crew getting legless. I didn't get any sleep, but things were worse for my mate. He did manage to get to sleep (he was ina different cubicle from me), but was awoken in the small hours by a very drunk Scotsman wearing a kilt and ranting and raging. Eventually he and the other people in the cubicle persuaded him to go to bed. Friend was just drifting off again when there was a disgusting stench. The kilted man was unconcious and had lost control of all his bodily functions.
We spied him trudging down the gangplank in the morning, still with his own mess encrusted on his legs. Made sure we were on a different transfer bus to Amsterdam!

Coming back from a day trip to Tabarca, the boat rolling side to side I spent the whole journey terrified it was going to capsize. Tabarca was an absolute dump of a tourist trap too. Literally nothing on it other than cacti, rocks, dust and a couple of overpriced and not very clean cafes.

camflyer

Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire as a student in the days before cheap Ryanair tickets. Got the overnight sailing after getting the train from Crewe, didn't sleep a wink then got into Dublin first thing on a Sunday morning with nothing open so had to wander around until I could get into the hotel. Never again.

LowLevel

Established Member
Two for different reasons.

One, Weymouth to Jersey about 15 years ago on the catamaran. I think I was the only person not being sick (but I had a vile headache) including most of the crew, the contents of the bar had smashed to smithereens within minutes and glass was flying everywhere. On the way back we had bought some tablets in St Helier and spent much of the trip outside, far better.

The other was some time in the 90s my mother decided it would be a grand idea to do the Exmouth to Starcross ferry for a day out on a Sunday.

Unfortunately we did this in the middle of a thunder and lightning storm and there was a "special school" outing on the boat having an absolute disaster of a time.

We had quite a nice day but at home time the clouds were rolling in and the school were back again. I spotted one of about 2 trains to stop at Starcross on a Sunday back then rolling along the sea wall and my mother refused to use it as she had already paid for the ferry ticket.

The return trip was just as bad as the outward one.

dgl

Established Member
Adding to the story of the crew getting legless, supposedly (going by reports of someone who up until COVID was a musician on a cruise ship), that before the Costa Concordia accident that the crew getting legless what just what happened, naturally after the Costa Concordia disaster that all stopped and all members of staff were to be ready for an emergency at all times.

Veteran Member
This page shows both the type of double-ended ferry that has apparently been operating the route in summer since 1999, and presumably now does so all year round, and the smaller 'Island class' type that at the time the page was written still operated it in winter (they have now all been withdrawn). The latter were certainly around in the 1970s, but I'm not aware that they were on that route then, and the first page I link to suggests that they didn't arrive there until 1985. The Lochnell appears to have been the usual Kilchoan boat in the 1970s, but presumably others would have substituted from time to time; I'm not aware that MacBraynes ever owned any actual military landing craft, but it wouldn't surprise me if such vessels were sometimes used in the Hebrides.

The Island class ferries may have been inspired in general terms by military landing craft, but they were purpose-designed for use as ferries. My experience is that they coped much better with waves than you might expect from their appearance; other people's experience may differ, but they are described here as 'Always superb seaboats'.
Thanks for the link. Definitely not the Lochnell - an Island class matches my memory pretty well.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Worst - just in terms of how awful the boat is - was Jadrolinija's MF Zadar between Split and Stari Grad (Hvar) last summer. I cannot express how horrible this ship is - much of it is in a state of disrepair, there were wires hanging out of the ceiling where TV's have been removed, the restaurant is locked out of use (even pre-Covid-19), the "catering" points were dismal, plus the forward-facing lounge was also locked out of use. The former duty-free shop was also out of use, even though Split-Stari Grad is a major tourist route.

I cannot understand how anyone would have wanted to travel between Ancona and Split as it did for many years. I've found some pictures that suggest that it was nicer (although very dated) then and that it's been allowed to fall into disrepair since it moved to being used on Split-Stari Grad duties, but still, I can't imagine it was particularly comfortable on Italy-Croatia voyages. Jadrolinija do tend to be very no-frills and barebones, but this is awful even by their standards. The only saving grace is that the route is truly wonderful if you're standing outdoors on deck.

Other than that, I've got strong sea legs, so when other people have been feeling sick, I can quite happily stand at the bar. As a result, it's hard to say that I've ever had a bad sea crossing. The worst in terms of sea conditions was between Ardrossan and Brodick one wild Saturday, but it was the last ferry of the day and I'd been wandering around Glagsow all day, so I just went for a pint while people were looking pale.

RichJF

a Newhaven-Dieppe ferry, sometime in the 90s (I was a kid). Only about a 4 hour crossing. It was rough from the outset. My dad succumb early on and spent most of the crossing outside. I was fine. My sister was fine. My mum was fine. We wandered the ship, littered with people groaning on the pitching floor. Halfway across the idea of lunch seemed good.

I got as far as the checkout and suddenly it wasn't so good idea. I managed to make it outside, amazingly, before I hurled. Went and joined my dad for the rest of the crossing.

I remember doing this as a kid in the late 90s/early 00s on the small SeaCat from Dieppe. Must've been a Force 7/8 & the crossing took an hour longer.

Vividly remember memories of going down to the car in Newhaven harbour & alarms going off everywhere & a couple of car windscreens being smashed!

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Never had a bad ferry crossing to be honest. Not that it would bother me; if anything it would add to the fun!

Something worth mentioning would be the ferry crossing I took from The Philippines mainland at Legazpi harbour to Batan Island. On a homemade boat with 2 lawnmower engines. Carried about 14 of us and luggage as well as stock for the ‘supermarket’ on the island itself. The cargo included a pig, crates of drink, crates of alcohol and gas bottles. Oh, and a few chickens! I have attached a picture of said boat.

Attachments

• EB88496F-2BCB-4A23-9B48-608DBDF9E42B.jpeg
    EB88496F-2BCB-4A23-9B48-608DBDF9E42B.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 65

LMS 4F

Did anyone else on here sail on the MV Auby between Kuching and Singapore going on R and R leave during the 1960s.
Built in Aberdeen sometime between the wars we slept on 3 tier bunks built in the holds. Meals were served on deck under an awning and supposedly the ship followed the trail of Tiger beer cans.
I asked an officer why the radar was working as we could see for miles and were all alone. His reply was that they were looking for bad weather as the ship had to avoid it at all costs. Not the best two days and nights of my life on either of the two journeys.

Gloster

Established Member
Did anyone else on here sail on the MV Auby between Kuching and Singapore going on R and R leave during the 1960s.

Unless I am mixing up two similarily named ships, she was launched by Robb’s yard in Leith in 1953 for the Sarawak Steamship Company. She did have an extremely antiquated, top-heavy appearance.

LMS 4F

Unless I am mixing up two similarily named ships, she was launched by Robb’s yard in Leith in 1953 for the Sarawak Steamship Company. She did have an extremely antiquated, top-heavy appearance.
It was a long while ago but I am sure there was a mention of Aberdeen. It certainly seemed a lot older than 13 years although that could have been neglect and lack of upkeep. In any case it was appalling especially the voyage back to Kuching when we had spent all
Our money and couldn’t buy beer.

Master Cutler

Hamnavoe between Scrabster and Stromness on Orkney was my worst crossing due to an ebbing spring tide and heavy swell. The view out of the ferry Windows alternated between total sea then total sky.

JRT

Without a doubt, the Scillionian from St Mary's to Penzance on a fairly windy day: the boat is flat-bottomed to cope with the shallow sea and rolls, twists and turns like a fairground ride: not for nothing is it known as the Great White Stomach Pump.
Ah yes, did a day trip over from Pensans. I decided not to eat during the day before returning, probably a good idea.

EastisECML

DFDS ferry from Ijmuiden back to North Shields. Rough seas, ship listing somewhat to one side, then announcement over the PA that we should grab something to hang on to because they were going to "tip" the ship back the other way. Ended up being sick but upright at least.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
DFDS ferry from Ijmuiden back to North Shields. Rough seas, ship listing somewhat to one side, then announcement over the PA that we should grab something to hang on to because they were going to "tip" the ship back the other way. Ended up being sick but upright at least.

That's rather curious, what was the reason for the list?

Bayum

Established Member
Not sure if it’s a ferry, but one of the journeys to Tresco and the Scilly Isles was particularly bad. Mum booked flight tickets as soon as we were back on land.

EastisECML

That's rather curious, what was the reason for the list?

The North Sea was really rough, I assume one side of the ship was getting more of a battering than the other. I never physically noticed the listing to one particular side though, or the rebalancing act. Just the swaying and the vomiting.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Ah yes, did a day trip over from Pensans. I decided not to eat during the day before returning, probably a good idea.

I made the mistake of having a cooked breakfast in the restaurant in the morning. I kept hold of said breakfast, but it was an uncomfortable remainder of the trip.

On the way back I had three bottles of beer instead and felt fine.

Master Cutler

My introduction to ferry crossings, although not my worst, was memorable to say the least. It was in the 1980s when Sealink had the Holyhead Dublin route.
It was early March and a bit blustery blowing a force 6 - 8 with heavy swell.
I drove onto the ferry with the large trucks and parked in a small car bay on the truck deck.
This meant I had ample time for a hearty fried meal before we set off.
Before leaving Holyhead the captain announced that it would be rough but if it was too bad they would cancel the crossing and return to port.
True to word it Was rough, with the wind causing the exhaust fumes from the ferry engines to blow back into the passeng deck creating a stomach churning smell from the ventilators.
However, I fortunately felt no major ill effects, this being due to sitting with the Irish truck drivers, who continued to smoke and eat, while entertaining me with their humorous banter for most of the crossing.
Five hours later we reached Dublin and while announcing our arrival time into port the captain explained that the plan was to abandon the crossing but as the heaviest seas were in the middle of the journey it was safest to carry on to Ireland. His words being "we were trapped between the devil and the deep blue sea", an understatement to say the least.

KeithMcC

Rough ferries - coming back from France one February. All the ships delayed by bad weather but got on to one in the end. Very busy with foot passengers as this was pre tunnel. Got out of Calais but too rough to get in to Dover so we went round in circles for 6 hours. It wasn't a pretty sight!
The Seacat the following year was even worse as they roll horribly in a cross sea.
For a just generally awful ferry, Vladivostok to Korea at the end of a trans-sib trip. No cabins available, only a sort of dormitory although I did get some sleep. The crew got a barbeque going in a half oil drum on the rear deck! In the middle of the night I wasn't feeling well so got up to find that the toilet system had blocked up completely.
Eventually got to Korea lunchtime the next day, spent ages in immigration (no messing about - Koreans first, the Japanese, then everybody else. Landing cards had to be completed in English so a lot of the Russians struggled. The passport man looked quite pleased to actually have someone English who had filled it in right first time!

Wolfie

Established Member
I had a really bad trip with P&O Dover to Calais in heavy seas/a storm. The floors of the loos streaming with vomit....

My absolute worst: The Herald of Free Enterprise. My best friend didn't make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.