• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worst located and served taxi ranks at stations that have them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Doncaster - taxi rank tucked away round the corner of the station with no standing taxis. Really helpful.

Any advances on that?

( I mean hackney carriages aka black cabs rather than mini cabs - it isn't always easy to find a good mini cab company before visiting a "strange" town for the firs time)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
Dovey Junction? (Deleted as thread title updated to remove ambiguity.

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Berney Arms would have to be in with a shout...?!

However, assuming you mean stations which do have taxi ranks there must be quite a few where there are routinely no taxis, but I do think you may be on to a winner with Doncaster.

Established Member
Doncaster - taxi rank tucked away round the corner of the station with no standing taxis. Really helpful.

Any advances on that?

( I mean hackney carriages aka black cabs rather than mini cabs - it isn't always easy to find a good mini cab company before visiting a "strange" town for the firs time)

To be fair most stations don’t have a taxi rank at all!

Corrour is the obvious answer.

Or Berney Arms, or any of the stations not accessible by public road.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I clearly meant mainline, sensible stations. Not half horse towns in the middle of nowhere. On this forum you have to spell out everything is mind numbing obviousness to get any sort of sensible answer or debate. ;)

Perhaps you might update the thread title to 'Worst located Taxi Ranks at Stations that have them?'
good point

Matt_pool

Liverpool South Parkway doesn't have a taxi rank. It would be useful to have one at the moment considering that Arriva buses are on strike and the only way for passengers to get to/from the station to/from the airport at the moment is to phone for a private hire.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Grange over Sands has one and it's right out front (seems there's not any more, I just looked on Google maps), but the chance of there being a taxi in it is tiny, as is the chance of arranging one by phone unless you book weeks ahead.

it isn't always easy to find a good mini cab company before visiting a "strange" town for the firs time

Unless you're an Uber refusenik, a lot of people will try that (or Bolt, or in the US Lyft) before anything else.

Liverpool South Parkway doesn't have a taxi rank. It would be useful to have one at the moment considering that Arriva buses are on strike and the only way for passengers to get to/from the station to/from the airport at the moment is to phone for a private hire.

Genuinely surprised that it doesn't. Some will just prefer a taxi even if the bus is cheaper. Tripadvisor suggests there is one but I can't see it on Google Maps so I guess perhaps there was and it's been removed.

Bletchley's is right out front but there being a Hackney carriage in it is not totally unknown but fairly rare, most will get a minicab.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
More on Doncaster: There is a taxi office in the station precincts. You cant go in an ask for a taxi though................
Bletchley's is right out front but there being a Hackney carriage in it is not totally unknown but fairly rare
except, strangely, on Friday or Saturday night. They love my £3 fare to Fenny ;)

Unless you're an Uber refusenik
How widely based is uber?

Taunton

Established Member
East Midlands Parkway, for an "Inter City" station in the country, is appalling. I wrote this some years ago; doesn't seem to have changed :

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
How widely based is uber?

Works in most UK cities now (including MK, though Skyline is cheaper).

East Midlands Parkway, for an "Inter City" station in the country, is appalling. I wrote this some years ago; doesn't seem to have changed :

It does indeed seem to be a failed station which serves little purpose, mainly because the airport itself is underused since sleasyJet pulled out. Those wanting a P&R to London just carry on down the M1 to Luton Airport Parkway for a far more frequent service, and those wanting Nottingham just drive there.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
There are countless suburban London stations that have taxi ranks which are deliberately out of sight of the station, because part of the station contains a minicab office, and allegedly many thousands of pounds of cash go directly from the minicab company into the pocket of some corrupt individual at LUL who can then get the taxi rank expelled from the forecourt to somewhere that it can't be seen by tube passengers. I could provide a partial list from memory, but it would be easier for any of you to download a list of suburban taxi ranks and pick one at random, and it will probably fit the bill.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Wakefield Westgate. First time I went there to use it, saw a taxi, started to get in and the driver jumped out. The first taxis you come across are dropping off, the actual rank in across the roadway. I thought it was a shelter for trolleys, not the queue!

John Luxton

Established Member
I use South Parkway a lot to connect with the 80 /86 bus heading towards the city as it's often less hassle to avoid Liverpool city centre at peak times and weekends and catch the bus from there as my home is roughly half way between South Parkway and City.

However, when waiting for the bus I have seen taxis and private hires heading along the route which leads to the car park. Presumably there is a place for them there? I have never been in the car park thus I don't know if there is a marked taxi rank.

I see the station web site does list taxi company contact numbers and presumably these might be on display inside enabling one to summon one quickly?

cactustwirly

Established Member
Works in most UK cities now (including MK, though Skyline is cheaper).

It does indeed seem to be a failed station which serves little purpose, mainly because the airport itself is underused since sleasyJet pulled out. Those wanting a P&R to London just carry on down the M1 to Luton Airport Parkway for a far more frequent service, and those wanting Nottingham just drive there.

You would be waiting a long time for an Uber in Reading....

The minicabs in Reading are very expensive so I end up walking, driving or taking the bus

benbristow

Lincoln - never seems to have any taxis outside the station although is a rank. Although there's barely any taxis through the normal apps at the best of times.

randyrippley

Established Member
Back in the 1970s/80s it had to be Yeovil Junction as worst serviced.
Because the station was just over the border into Dorset, no Yeovil based taxis could use the rank. Besides that the drivers needed to purchase a licence from BR to use the rank. Only one driver, based in Sherborne actually did - but he also held the franchise to run the station cafe.
So if you wanted a taxi you had to hope that he had someone to stand-in at the cafe, and be prepared to wait and queue for him to return from his previous job.
In practice some of the Yeovil radio cab drivers would pick up queuing passengers after dropping off, "pretending" they'd prebooked, but they were taking a legal risk.

Mugby

Established Member
Derby. The taxi rank is not exactly poorly located, being just to the left of the exit doors but if you're heading towards the bus station or city centre, taxis have to make a lengthy detour round the block, involving junctions and traffic lights.

There's a considerable sum on the meter before you pass by the station front which you've just exited from!

AlastairFraser

Established Member
You would be waiting a long time for an Uber in Reading....

The minicabs in Reading are very expensive so I end up walking, driving or taking the bus
Indeed, roughly £5 a mile in a Hackney carriage! The bus is pretty decent to me corners anyway unless you're turning up late and driving is hell, an e bike isn't a bad shout.

Jimini

Established Member
Indeed, roughly £5 a mile in a Hackney carriage! The bus is pretty decent to me corners anyway unless you're turning up late and driving is hell, an e bike isn't a bad shout.

Reading's bus network is pretty decent, aye. Like you say: just as well given the eye-watering price of black cabs!

YorksLad12

Established Member
You could probably add Leeds to the list next year, in some use cases. New Station Street is being closed; taxis will use a new rank on Bishopsgate Street, where the bus stop is/was. It will allow for two departures at once (not the case at the moment) but the queue won't be able to snake down 20-deep as at present; I think it has to queue across the junction with Neville Street and Swinegate. So if the first five-ish cabs take off quickly enough you have to wait for a full cycle of the junction lights before the next ones come in.

ejstubbs

Waverley's taxi rank used to be inside the station, with level access for passengers from the main platforms (though not the ones "through the wall"). It worked pretty well. Since the last reworking of the platform layout (or last but one, or the one before that...I lost count) the taxi rank is now on Market Street which is an escalator or elevator ride up from platform level and IIRC also requires negotiating a flight of steps to get to street level from the walkway (memory suggests that there may be second lift as well).

The new 'rank' is much smaller, you have to queue in the open, which can be not very nice in Edinburgh in the winter, and it seems to be much less frequently served by the cabbies (some of whom seem to prefer to tout for fares outside the Balmoral hotel on Princes Street, despite the fact that ranking is explicitly forbidden there).

Things aren't that much better at Haymarket, where the taxi rank is again outside, and requires you to cross the tram tracks and two lanes of busy traffic. Traffic light-controlled crossings are provided, but they seem to be pretty leisurely in responding to the buttons being pressed - it's not uncommon for people to be able to cross reasonably safely long before the green man comes on, though that can be less than ideal if you've got heavy luggage. Then again, it's think it's pretty much always been like that; it's the significant downgrade of the facilities at Waverley that stands out.

Last edited:

Dunnideer

Because the station was just over the border into Dorset, no Yeovil based taxis could use the rank. Besides that the drivers needed to purchase a licence from BR to use the rank. Only one driver, based in Sherborne actually did - but he also held the franchise to run the station cafe.
So if you wanted a taxi you had to hope that he had someone to stand-in at the cafe, and be prepared to wait and queue for him to return from his previous job.
It wasn’t Yeovil but I remember something similar to that somewhere else in the mid 2000s. There wasn’t an official rank there but guy who ran the (only local) taxi also had a newsagents kiosk in the station, so if you wanted to go somewhere you’d have to go to the kiosk to ask him. If he decided it seemed like a decent fare he’d sigh and roll his eyes, reluctantly close the roller shutter and retrieve his cab from the car park.

Incidentally he also used to think nothing of just jumping down on the track to collect the newspapers that were always blowing away off his stand. That’s how I first encountered him.

duncanp

Established Member
Waverley's taxi rank used to be inside the station, with level access for passengers from the main platforms (though not the ones "through the wall"). It worked pretty well. Since the last reworking of the platform layout (or last but one, or the one before that...I lost count) the taxi rank is now on Market Street which is an escalator or elevator ride up from platform level and IIRC also requires negotiating a flight of steps to get to street level from the walkway (memory suggests that there may be second lift as well).

The new 'rank' is much smaller, you have to queue in the open, which can be not very nice in Edinburgh in the winter, and it seems to be much less frequently served by the cabbies (some of whom seem to prefer to tout for fares outside the Balmoral hotel on Princes Street, despite the fact that ranking is explicitly forbidden there).

Things aren't that much better at Haymarket, where the taxi rank is again outside, and requires you to cross the tram tracks and two lanes of busy traffic. Traffic light-controlled crossings are provided, but they seem to be pretty leisurely in responding to the buttons being pressed - it's not uncommon for people to be able to cross reasonably safely long before the green man comes on, though that can be less than ideal if you've got heavy luggage.

Yes, there is a special place in hell for those who decided to move the taxi rank at Edinubrgh Waverley. <(

What was wrong with the old arrangements?

The fact that the capital city of Scotland makes people queue outside the station in the rain for a taxi doesn't exactly give good first impression of the city.

Compare that with Glasgow Central, where the main taxi rank is right outside the front entrance, and under cover.

Dunnideer

Yes, there is a special place in hell for those who decided to move the taxi rank at Edinubrgh Waverley. <(

What was wrong with the old arrangements?
From memory they were worried about the threat of a car bomb attack under the roof, as well as the problem of pedestrians being hit by vehicles which believe it or not happened quite frequently.

urbophile

Established Member
Pre-Covid, Skelhorne street leading to Liverpool Lime Street was always lined with black cabs queuing to get into the (smallish) taxi rank inside, at least before the regular (those were the days!) arrival of the London trains. Recently they seem to have dwindled to almost nothing: rather than a long queue of taxis for a short queue of passengers it's often the opposite.

Recessio

The old taxi rank at Euston was pretty grim before the redevelopment for HS2 works. Was always plenty of taxis available though.

Status
Not open for further replies.