• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worst Railway Station in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Yes it does. It has never been closed. The footbridge was taken down in the WCML upgrade and Network Rail didnt bother to put it back. Waiting room & other bits still there.

should reopen it Pendolinos, Desiro, Voyagers at speed on film or photo,
Better to get the permanent replacement bus up to Norton Bridge and spend a few hours at the Railway Inn, overlooking the WCML. That's my biggest regret about the closure of Norton Bridge: If it had even just a two hourly service from LM Desiros, I'd spend a lot more time up there in that pub than I can manage with the current arrangement, as the replacement bus is too sporadic: It really is a great little pub!

Norton Bridge definitely falls into the category of "most pointless stations". And to that category, I would also like to add Bordesley. Nowhere near the area it purports to serve (I know because I live there), and with one of the most well hidden and grotty looking entrances I've ever seen. And the station itself is somewhat spartan...And did I mention that it only has one train a week? A completely hopeless station desperately in need of some attention that's too close to the city centre and too far from any centres of population to really attract any use even if there was a regular train service, but it's cheaper to leave it open and let it gradually decay. Pointless.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EWS 58038

New-haven marina...

Platform closed for years while, according to DafT, the station is still in service. One can get to and from it by Taxi from New-haven station which is 200 yards further down the road. The 2,60 taxi trip takes 30 seconds and can be done on the tax payers money if you have a valid ticket.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Going back to New Street - how can anyione find that place appealing -
It is dark - how difficlut is it rig up some decent lighting on the platforms
It is still smelly - granted now most of the proper trains have gone it stinks a touch less than it used to - god those fumes were bad.
The access to the platforms from the "Concourse" AKA Corridor is terrible especially for the disabled
There is no where to sit in the corridor and few seats elsewhere
You have to pay for the toliets! (which is just wrong - why shiould i pay to leave a deposit?:lol:)
Platforms seem very narrow
train information in the actual platform area is very limited
Sets a very bad example as an entry point to the second city
It is a montrous carbuncle to look at
It is underground and always seems damp and cold to me!

In short i hate it! (but then all WCML stations south of Crewe (except Preston?) were treated to the 60's Eastern European Comunist Architecture treatment!)

End of rant!

sprinterguy

Established Member
You paint a very grim picture of New Street DarloRich. I don’t think it’s nearly that bad: I do agree that the platforms are too narrow, which is a major cause of why access to the platforms from the concourse is so poor: There’s no more space to widen the stairs/escalators, which cause a major bottleneck when two trains on either side of a single island platform are arriving and departing at the same time, it’s quite a scrum! The lighting seems adequate to me, and there are many stations in the UK where you have to pay to use the toilets. I’ve never thought that the smell of diesel fumes is particularly pervading, but I never used the station in its’ “heyday” of 30-40 year old smoky diesel locos and first gen DMUs, when I imagine it was much, much worse.

Just a difference in opinion really, and we’re all entitled to our own opinions. I prefer New Street to Sunderland any day, there’s a lot of parallels you could draw between the two (Of course, New Street is much, much bigger and busier).

DarloRich

Veteran Member
You paint a very grim picture of New Street DarloRich. I don’t think it’s nearly that bad: I do agree that the platforms are too narrow, which is a major cause of why access to the platforms from the concourse is so poor: There’s no more space to widen the stairs/escalators, which cause a major bottleneck when two trains on either side of a single island platform are arriving and departing at the same time, it’s quite a scrum! The lighting seems adequate to me, and there are many stations in the UK where you have to pay to use the toilets. I’ve never thought that the smell of diesel fumes is particularly pervading, but I never used the station in its’ “heyday” of 30-40 year old smoky diesel locos and first gen DMUs, when I imagine it was much, much worse.

Just a difference in opinion really, and we’re all entitled to our own opinions. I prefer New Street to Sunderland any day, there’s a lot of parallels you could draw between the two (Of course, New Street is much, much bigger and busier).

I would hate to get out of New Street in an emergency - no problem with a differnece in opinion at all! One hopes that once the redevlopment is finshed (if ever wonder if the money holds out?) it might be a much better place. I dont think Sunderland is great by any strech of the imagination - it is just better than it used to be!

sprinterguy

Established Member
I would hate to get out of New Street in an emergency - no problem with a differnece in opinion at all! One hopes that once the redevlopment is finshed (if ever wonder if the money holds out?) it might be a much better place. I dont think Sunderland is great by any strech of the imagination - it is just better than it used to be!

I agree with all of those sentiments :) I reckon the New Street redevelopment will make it to the finish.

MCR247

Established Member
One thing with BHM, is its so loud. All of the squealing from numerous trains leaving/departing at the same time! Its quite hard hearing the announcement over that

DarloRich

Veteran Member
i dont trust any of the annoucments made by the Con-Dem pact - lets see if it actually happens as planned or if it is chopped down - i/you/we know it NEEDS doing but do they?

The Planner

Veteran Member
i dont trust any of the annoucments made by the Con-Dem pact - lets see if it actually happens as planned or if it is chopped down - i/you/we know it NEEDS doing but do they?

Too much done already to just bin it, you just cant see it thats all.

4SRKT

Established Member
These sentiments are nothing new. In the mid-80s when Rail magazine was still called Rail Enthusiast there was a short cartoon strip called Sid the Syphon (drawn by someone called 'Yorkie'. I wonder......). One month all we could see in the initial two frames were Sid's cab windows and split headcode boxes against a totally black background. His speech bubble read "I bet you think...." in the first frame, and "......I'm in a hole" in the second. In the third frame all became clear as a sign reading 'Birmingham New Street' was seen alongside, and his speech bubble read "you're right!".

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Too much done already to just bin it, you just cant see it thats all.

I know it has started - but there is an awful long way to go. I dont think it will be just binned but i think it might be the usual hash up job
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have another contender - I givie you Manors station in Newcastle. 7 trains a day to Newcastle Central and 4 trains a day toward Morpeth- all in the peak period and bolted onto the side of a massive multi story 60's car park and the central motor way. I am not weven sure how you get into the station as there doesnt seem to be a sign or a sign post to the station! There isnt even any sort of directions form the metro station of the same name and certainly no interchange!

Once this was a massive station, well used and busy - now it is a toilet!

4SRKT

Established Member
I know it has started - but there is an awful long way to go. I dont think it will be just binned but i think it might be the usual hash up job
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have another contender - I givie you Manors station in Newcastle. 7 trains a day to Newcastle Central and 4 trains a day toward Morpeth- all in the peak period and bolted onto the side of a massive multi story 60's car park and the central motor way. I am not weven sure how you get into the station as there doesnt seem to be a sign or a sign post to the station! There isnt even any sort of directions form the metro station of the same name and certainly no interchange!

Once this was a massive station, well used and busy - now it is a toilet!

Downgraded stations thread this way ======>

scotsman

Established Member
Dorchester South - filthy and I got the impression from the toilet graffiti that the local paedophiles were thriving. I complained to SWT about it, and guess what, no reply!

Established Member
Not even this would work because trains in both directions use the eastbound platform that is only reachable by the bridge. AFAICS the westbound platform is only used for either set down or pick up by the daily Leeds > Goole service, and possibly by any trains whose layover is too short to go to the TMD siding. There is a trailing crossover at the west end of the station, so all trains except the two Goole > Leeds workings could use the more convenient westbound platform, but this would mean them blocking the line for 15-20 minutes twice an hour.

Admittedly I've only been to Knottingley a few times on the train but I am sure that all the times I have been there it used the platform towards Goole to let people off and then went into the TMD sidings, so I had to go over the bridge to get the train to Leeds via Glasshoughton. Whether I was lucky those times I don't know but I thought that this was the norm.

Established Member
another vote for Birmingham New Street, and Wakefield Kirkgate, and Manchester Vic. You'd think that a station adjacent to the M.E.N. arena would be all set up for dealing with crowds, but no.

The MEN is the very reason for this. Vic was slaughtered in the 90's to build the MEN. But things are on the up for my depot now :D

yorksrob

Veteran Member
My problem with Knottingley is the way terminating trains cross over to access the westbound platform so they can go into the TMD siding during layover. This forces everyone to use the footbridge. Trains towards Leeds also use this platform. Basically everyone has to use the footbridge almost every time. I saw a lot of people with prams struggling with this ridiculous arrangement.

Yes, I must admit that's been the case whenever I've been there. Seems a strange set up. I can only assume that they were expecting more services to go all the way to Goole when they built it.

4SRKT

Established Member
Yes, I must admit that's been the case whenever I've been there. Seems a strange set up. I can only assume that they were expecting more services to go all the way to Goole when they built it.

The service before the drastic cutbacks beyond Knottingley was every three hours to Goole, every three hours to Knottingley and every three hours terminating at Cas. The gap in service to Knottingley was to allow a set to do a short out and back to Cas in the hour after a Goole working to allow the hourly to Cas to be maintained with three sets. Given the number of sets hanging about Neville Hill during the day for peak only diagrams in those days I always thought this was a bit unnecessary.

GospelOak117

Some particularly dismal stations I have experienced are Pokesdown for Boscombe, Clapton and Castle Bar Park. Also the terrifying Essex Road on the Great Northern Moorgate branch, see pictures on wikipedia. This desolate, forgotten station can only be accessed by a dark and dingy lift down from street level and last time I used it the only other person down there was a guy in a balaclava tagging all the posters.

asylumxl

Established Member
Some particularly dismal stations I have experienced are Pokesdown for Boscombe, Clapton and Castle Bar Park. Also the terrifying Essex Road on the Great Northern Moorgate branch, see pictures on wikipedia. This desolate, forgotten station can only be accessed by a dark and dingy lift down from street level and last time I used it the only other person down there was a guy in a balaclava tagging all the posters.

It is pretty bad. But during busier times it seems to see a reasonable amount of use.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The service before the drastic cutbacks beyond Knottingley was every three hours to Goole, every three hours to Knottingley and every three hours terminating at Cas. The gap in service to Knottingley was to allow a set to do a short out and back to Cas in the hour after a Goole working to allow the hourly to Cas to be maintained with three sets. Given the number of sets hanging about Neville Hill during the day for peak only diagrams in those days I always thought this was a bit unnecessary.

Yes, I'd love to do that route one day. Unfortunately not even the Hull trains are ever diverted that way!

WillPS

Established Member
Wakefield Kirkgate.

I planned to change between Westgate and Kirkgate at night once. I shall not be doing that again!

Neglect doesn't cut it.

alexjames

Better to get the permanent replacement bus up to Norton Bridge and spend a few hours at the Railway Inn, overlooking the WCML. That's my biggest regret about the closure of Norton Bridge: If it had even just a two hourly service from LM Desiros, I'd spend a lot more time up there in that pub than I can manage with the current arrangement, as the replacement bus is too sporadic: It really is a great little pub!

Norton Bridge definitely falls into the category of "most pointless stations". And to that category, I would also like to add Bordesley. Nowhere near the area it purports to serve (I know because I live there), and with one of the most well hidden and grotty looking entrances I've ever seen. And the station itself is somewhat spartan...And did I mention that it only has one train a week? A completely hopeless station desperately in need of some attention that's too close to the city centre and too far from any centres of population to really attract any use even if there was a regular train service, but it's cheaper to leave it open and let it gradually decay. Pointless.

Whilst I agree that Bordesley is utterly vile, its not quite correct to suggest that it only has one train per week. Neither is it entirely pointless.

I use it twice per year. Once to save the walk from Moor Street, once to save the walk to Moor Street. Of course I would prefer it if Birmingham City did the decent thing and got themselves relegated on a permanent basis but pending that happy day, I'll continue to use one or other of the three or four trains each way before and after matches just to avoid a mile or so of hoofing it around the mean streets of that City.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Whilst I agree that Bordesley is utterly vile...

I agree completely, Bordesley is just like the Villa :D

Of course I would prefer it if Birmingham City did the decent thing and got themselves relegated on a permanent basis but pending that happy day, I'll continue to use one or other of the three or four trains each way before and after matches just to avoid a mile or so of hoofing it around the mean streets of that City.

You sound like my Villa "mates", wishful thinking I hope :D

Drsatan

Established Member
Whilst I agree that Bordesley is utterly vile, its not quite correct to suggest that it only has one train per week. Neither is it entirely pointless.

Rather like Beaulieu Road: that station is about three miles from the village it purports to serve and only two or three trains call there each day. But it's not exactly pointless since the station enjoys an hourly service on Sundays, which is useful for walkers and cyclists.

Like many contributors to this thread, I don't like Birmingham NS much. The platforms are too crowded and gloomy, the concourse is too small, there are too few ticket machines and overall, it doesn't feel like a suitable station for Britain's '2nd city'.

Status
Not open for further replies.