• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worst station to spot trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

12CSVT

Established Member
Cardiff Bay, same unit every 7? minutes

At least Cardiff Bay gets a proper unit from time to time. And I seem to remember some demic kettles were stored at Cardiff Bay a few years ago.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eng274

It is a shame as it's a route much more suited to a 156 rather than a pacer.

I love it on a Pacer, its great that you can feel each axle sink into the track joints for that fraction of a second, jolting the whole train :) and the curve out of Morecambe towards Heysham is unreal for flange squeal.

WestCoast

Established Member
I love it on a Pacer, its great that you can feel each axle sink into the track joints for that fraction of a second, jolting the whole train :) and the curve out of Morecambe towards Heysham is unreal for flange squeal.

Not so good when you've sat bouncing up and down on a 142 with bus seats all the way from Leeds and you can't feel your legs! :lol:

144s and above are OK though!

Pacers just aren't novelties with me anymore<D

Any Permitted

Surely somewhere like Berney Arms. 4 Sprinters a day, two in each direction. Miles from anywhere and not even a shelter. Any stations that have less trains passing through (I know some have less stopping, but often have quite a few passing through)?

Fewer trains ramps up the tension. Will it be a 156 or a 153 or will it be two 153s coupled together, maybe it will be the 153s on loan from London Midland or it could be (and this is where the excitement comes in) a 170!

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Fewer trains ramps up the tension. Will it be a 156 or a 153 or will it be two 153s coupled together, maybe it will be the 153s on loan from London Midland or it could be (and this is where the excitement comes in) a 170!

And even the 170s, will it be a 2 car or a 3 car, and if it's a 2 car will it be the one one or an Anglia liveried one! For such a station with such little traffic passing through it actually has more potential liveries than many far busier stations.
Of cource we can't forget summer saturdays too when it sees loco hauled trains too.

Ivo

Established Member
As stations with frequent services go...

Basildon. Same stock running up and down all day with nothing of interest at all, and with the only thing of any note (357010) now consigned to the history books. Not to mention that you have to pass through barriers and walk up to an elevated platform with very little to see around (bus depot to one side, bus station to the other).

ChrisCooper

Established Member
As stations with frequent services go...

Basildon. Same stock running up and down all day with nothing of interest at all, and with the only thing of any note (357010) now consigned to the history books. Not to mention that you have to pass through barriers and walk up to an elevated platform with very little to see around (bus depot to one side, bus station to the other).

Actually that brings up an intesting related question. I wonder what the busiest station (in terms of TPH) that only has a single type of train booked (either passenger or freight, but not specials or one-offs) to pass through is? Excluding the ovious majority of the London Underground network that is.

On the other side, we've already got Berney Arms as a contender for the questest station with the most potential variety of types (3 normally, 4 at certain times). Any others?

Manxman

From what I was saying earlier, the 66s use a separate branch to Fowey.
Also with Heysham I was just going on the last time I noted one of Northerns units, being a 156.

lm321412

Lympstone Commando - you'll incurr the wrath of the Sentry if you try ;)

You beat me to it :cry:

Watford West? :lol: "in 1996. The station remained only temporarily closed, despite the demolition of at least one bridge on the route, until 6 November 2002 when it was permanently closed"

TomJ93

Coventry can be boring, until a 57 thundered through on Friday!

brillopad

Lympstone Commando - you'll incurr the wrath of the Sentry if you try ;)

Lympstone needs sorting out - the gate is still locked and there's the sign ' do not alight unless you have business at the...' (summat like that).

But....there's now a lovely new tarmac public walkway all the way to Exmouth that separates the camp from the station so there is no reason for the public not to use the station.

(An HST ran down there recently) (slowly)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Don't 66s use the Looe branch, have some sort of inkling there is/was a cement works there.

China Clay via Lostwithiel to Fowey - hourly boat trips up the river from Fowey .

Pic here

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
OK... who is going to be the first to walk along that public footpath and then attempt to board a train from there then?

HST Power

Established Member
Well they never seem to keen to let you on the platform to spot at Letchworth Garden City (even if you have a camera, notebook ect they still seem convinced that your going to hop on a train)

ACE1888

Loving this thread regarding 'spotting', such great memories, seriously with 'fixed formations' and endless units, i cannot see the point of it now, photography is now my 'thing'. Back 'when I were a Lad' in Deepest Cornwall we used to take the whole formation of the 'train' down, liveries, depot allocation, everything, it was great!

DavidBrown

OK... who is going to be the first to walk along that public footpath and then attempt to board a train from there then?

You can't - there's still fences and gates between the platform and the cycle path, and a guard and security hut just on the opposite side. You don't really need to board at Lympstone Commando anyway - Exton Station is a 5 minute walk up the cycle path.

HST Power

Established Member
Loving this thread regarding 'spotting', such great memories, seriously with 'fixed formations' and endless units, i cannot see the point of it now, photography is now my 'thing'. Back 'when I were a Lad' in Deepest Cornwall we used to take the whole formation of the 'train' down, liveries, depot allocation, everything, it was great!

I too have became more interested in photography but I still note down the numbers and formations for later reference. You'll need them if you want to publish the photos later on, which I do with a few of my collections.

Status
Not open for further replies.