• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worst towns in Britain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I can remember a book ages ago entitled 'Crap Towns', but cannot remeber any of the top 50. I passed through Luton and Leicester on Friday - my god are they horrible.

Anyone else care to share what they feel are the worst towns in Britain? Apart from Swindon of course :D

I'll get this started - Dewsbury, Guildford, Newport (South Wales), Middlesbrough and Croydon are all towns I avoid!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotsman

Established Member
Cumbernauld. 2nd Place does not do that horrible sh***hole justice

Patrick

Theres some awful towns in the Midlands, the ones that come to mind instantly are Coalville, Swadlincote and Burton upon Trent.

me123

Established Member
Coatbridge. My lovely hometown. Frankie Boyle sums it up nicely IMO: "If you ever get a chance to go there, go. The town's pride took a knocking recently when they found that the people of Ethopia were holding a rock concert for them". It's also the proud winner of the Carbunkle Award (for worst town in Scotland).

Cumbernauld Town Centre is a dump, but like all new towns there are at least some nice parts further away from the centre (some of the nice private housing estates, for example).

Denny is another town that strikes me as being rubbish (and having a stupid name to boot). It also recently won the Carbunkle Award. There's just nothing nice about it. At least Coatbridge has nice parks and some nice old buildings; Denny just seems to be 1960s architecture which is as depressing as always.

12CSVT

Established Member
The land of the concrete cows - Milton Keynes. What an eyesore.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Denny is another town that strikes me as being rubbish (and having a stupid name to boot).

Do you mind me asking where 'Denny' is?

To add to list:
Basildon
Doncaster
Hull - OK on the waterfront/docks though
Coventry

WestCoast

Established Member
Most towns in the North West.

What?! We have good and bad like everywhere else! I've traveled the country and wouldn't say we were any better or worse...

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Right that's it Matt that's two of my homes you've insulted now (Middlesbrough and Hull)! And I'm not standing for it, you hear me! I've had it!

;)

But seriously Middlesbrough is a dump, but Hull is all right to be honest. There are a few places I wouldn't go wandering round alone after dark but then that's true of nearly everywhere. Besides Hull has some pretty nice buildings in it (for those architecturally minded people) unlike some other places mentioned here. However, stop it! Ya hear me Matt, cease and desist! ;)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
What?! We have good and bad like everywhere else! I've traveled the country and wouldn't say we were any better or worse...

I live in the North West, born and bred, but have to say that Accrington, Burnley, Nelson, Colne, Darwen, Bolton, Blackpool, Liverpool and Manchester suburbs, Wigan and Warrington are all towns I would hate to live in, along with Blackburn, my current location. Nice places around here? Preston (in parts), Lancaster, Ulveston, West Lancs, Longridge. I think that's just about everything.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Between Cumbernauld and Stirling

Thanks. Sorry, I thought it was an abbreviated nickname for somewhere, like I've said on this Forum in the past though, if there's no station, I don't know, and don't care, where it is!

Established Member
Sunderland. You may say it is a city but only because it won a competition. Still a small town in Durham if you ask me.

WestCoast

Established Member
I live in the North West, born and bred, but have to say that Accrington, Burnley, Nelson, Colne, Darwen, Bolton, Blackpool, Liverpool and Manchester suburbs, Wigan and Warrington are all towns I would hate to live in, along with Blackburn, my current location. Nice places around here? Preston (in parts), Lancaster, Ulveston, West Lancs, Longridge. I think that's just about everything.

Much of Cumbria encompassing the Lake District is nice. The East Lancs towns I'll give you.
Where I am on the Fylde Coast, it's nice in places, the inland parts of Blackpool are actually decent, Lytham St. Annes also being nice. Most of West Lancashire as you say (a large area) is nice. The bulk of Cheshire is nice aswell.
There are some pleasant suburbs of Liverpool and Manchester, Woolton in Liverpool and Sale in Manchester.

I recently took a bus through East London (the bit that's not the Docklands) and it didn't look pretty (give me the mill towns anyday;)). Don't get me started on Slough! I find the South no better to be honest...

scotsman

Established Member
A few more...

Lochgelly
Polmont
Glenrothes
Fort William
Auchinleck
New Cumnock
Stewarton
Wallyford
Doncaster
Plymouth
Dorchester

chris89

Established Member
A few from me.

Walsall
Wolverhampton (I know its not a town)
Birmingham (I know its not a town)
Shrewsbury: Just don't like the place and complete hell to get to

From the southwest

Yeovil
Shepton Mallet (Nothing at all and really depressing)

Chris

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
A few from me.

Shepton Mallet (Nothing at all and really depressing)

Chris

Never a truer word spoken on this Forum, whereas neighboring Street/Glasto/Radstock/Wells are very nioce towns, Shepton Mallet was very dull. Same for Weston-super-Mare.

thefab444

Established Member
I recently took a bus through East London (the bit that's not the Docklands) and it didn't look pretty (give me the mill towns anyday;)). Don't get me started on Slough! I find the South no better to be honest...

There are some nasty parts in "the South", although these are mostly confined to the South East.

This map clearly lays out my view of the UK, based on a general overview - obviously there will be nice areas within the counties coloured brown. No where has yet proven itself worthy of "Excellent" status.

Attachments

• UKthefab4442.JPG
    UKthefab4442.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

WestCoast

Established Member
There are some nasty parts in "the South", although these are mostly confined to the South East.

This map clearly lays out my view of the UK. No where has yet proven itself worthy of "Excellent" status. Just noticed; Buckinghamshire and Hull should both be "Poor" rather than "Place of no Return"/"Acceptable".

I think I am fine in my place of no return:lol: We have rather a lot of trains to get in/out:lol::o:roll:. Quite suspicious how Wales is deemed acceptable and yet Scotland is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.