• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worst towns in Britain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

me123

Established Member
I don't know the area in question, but I've always been pleasantly surprised by Dundee. Given the reputation the city gets, I was expecting to step off the train into a third world country. It's actually got a really nice town centre, and the surrounding areas aren't anywhere near as bad as some would have you believe. It's not as bad as parts of Easterhouse, for example. It's maybe not going to win the "best city" award, but it's not quite as bad as people say.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sorry, but like it or not, their official Nationality is British. Why is it only possible to get a British passport? Because that is the official nationality of people born here. No matter what country within the UK they are born.

Other than for official documents, I'll never call myself British. And there's a very good reason for that. I, like many other Scottish people, don't identify myself as being British. For me, it's mostly because "British" has become synonymous with "English", and obviously I don't identify as being English. Why would I; I wouldn't expect you to identify as being Scottish. British identity does not seem to take Scotland into account, and many treat Scotland as a separate entity (which, in cultural terms, it is).

Of course, the nationalist in me would be very happy to have a Scottish passport, but that's another matter altogether... ;) I do know plenty of non-nationalists who either identify themselves as being exclusively or predominantly Scottish for largely the same reasons.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I don't know the area in question, but I've always been pleasantly surprised by Dundee. Given the reputation the city gets, I was expecting to step off the train into a third world country. It's actually got a really nice town centre, and the surrounding areas aren't anywhere near as bad as some would have you believe. It's not as bad as parts of Easterhouse, for example. It's maybe not going to win the "best city" award, but it's not quite as bad as people say.

I agree that Dundee isn't as bad as made out, shame the got rid of the footbridge from the station to the centre, when you're 10 (I was at the time), it's the most amazing thing in the world.

After passing through there amny a time, I do have to agree that the Easterhouse/Springburn/Bellgrove areas look particularly bad. Isn't Easterhouse the area of Scotland with the highest % of residents actually born in Scotland?

junglejames

Established Member
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Other than for official documents, I'll never call myself British. And there's a very good reason for that. I, like many other Scottish people, don't identify myself as being British. For me, it's mostly because "British" has become synonymous with "English", and obviously I don't identify as being English. Why would I; I wouldn't expect you to identify as being Scottish. British identity does not seem to take Scotland into account, and many treat Scotland as a separate entity (which, in cultural terms, it is).

Of course, the nationalist in me would be very happy to have a Scottish passport, but that's another matter altogether... ;) I do know plenty of non-nationalists who either identify themselves as being exclusively or predominantly Scottish for largely the same reasons.

Thats a fair comment. Unfortunately yes, British is seen as English with many 'rather unintelligent' people. Gets on my nerves as much as it does Scots and Welsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.